Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong/Weak Hand Only

Sliv2

Watching a recent episode of the Power Factor Show, they say that shooting strong/weak hand ONLY dictates you can not touch the gun - and that's it. That if a person wanted to... they could support their shooting arm with the non-shooting arm. While this is nothing I would try (I am used to shooting with my non-firing hand on my chest), I am curious if this is true or not.

Thanks for your input,

Alex

Watching a recent episode of the Power Factor Show, they say that shooting strong/weak hand ONLY dictates you can not touch the gun - and that's it. That if a person wanted to... they could support their shooting arm with the non-shooting arm. While this is nothing I would try (I am used to shooting with my non-firing hand on my chest), I am curious if this is true or not.

Thanks for your input,

Alex

IDPA rules say:

page 82:

The weak hand must not touch the

gun except when clearing a malfunction.

USPSA rules say:

However, the competitor will be issued one

procedural penalty per shot fired while:

10.2.8.1 Touching the handgun with the other hand while firing shots;

10.2.8.2 Using the other hand to support the handgun, wrist or shooting

arm while firing shots;

10.2.8.3 Using the other hand on a barricade or another prop to increase

stability while firing shots.

If the show you were listening to was about IDPA, it sounds as if they were correct.

"Technically" No since it doesn't state it in the rulebook. I think a procedural might be more appropriate (if any).

Then again, is your weak hand shooting that damn bad that you feel the need to support your weak arm? :D

There is no need for an actual written rule. I'm sure the SO would say, "Well, I know your method isn't against the rules. However, I didn't think of doing it that way, nor did the stage designer, so I will give you a PE for doing it." :rolleyes:

NOBODY except the newest of new puts their weak hand anywhere near the strong hand, strong arm, strong wrist, strong elbow, etc. if SHO is called for. One word to the newbie and the problem is solved forever. I have never seen (or heard of) a shooter try and lawyer this and merely comply with the letter of the law.

IDPA shooters have figured this out on their own. It is unfortunate that the rule book isn't clearer, but not terribly unfortunate, as this is just not an issue in IDPA.

Koski

NOBODY except the newest of new puts their weak hand anywhere near the strong hand, strong arm, strong wrist, strong elbow, etc. if SHO is called for. One word to the newbie and the problem is solved forever. I have never seen (or heard of) a shooter try and lawyer this and merely comply with the letter of the law.

IDPA shooters have figured this out on their own. It is unfortunate that the rule book isn't clearer, but not terribly unfortunate, as this is just not an issue in IDPA.

Koski

Agreed!

I think that the rulebook is clear enough on this. We all know what weak or strong hand means. Page 14 of the rulebook..

PC 1. Failure To Do Right (FTDR):

A. Adds twenty (20) seconds to total score.

B. Is assessed for any attempt to circumvent or compromise

the spirit or rationale of any stage by the use of

inappropriate devices, equipment or techniques.

If a new guy does something different out of ignorance then maybe just a PE. If Koski does it then it's a clear FTDR. :roflol: