Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Excessive dry firing?

atbarr

My firing pin broke Wednesday on my 5” 9 mm Pro. Luckily, Want2Race had a spare. I contacted S&W, and was asked did I do a lot of dry firing. I said I average 1 hour a week. I was told that was probably why. Is one hour a week excessive dry firing?

Thanks,

A.T.

I don't think so. When I was shooting my M&P a lot, I was dry firing 1 hour a day. To this day, I haven't broke my firing pin with over 15-16k rounds. I have however changed the striker spring...

A couple of years ago I shot an M&P 40 in Production for a short while and within a few months of live and dry fire practice the striker on it broke too. At that time I was doing about five hours of dry fire per week. S&W didn't want to send me a new striker and they insisted that I mailed the pistol back and they would replace it (which they did).

My wife has since "inherited" the pistol and, though she is not dedicated to dry fire practice, when she does, she's uses a snap cap. I haven't had to replace the striker since.

Are the strikers on the std M&Ps the same as the Pro's?

Yes, the main difference between the Pro and the non-Pro version is the sear.

Thanks. I just got a new Pro and have a std M&P for back up/parts. The strikers aren't cheap from what I recall.

Regarding to the original post- one hour/week dry firing is nothing IMO. I have a G34 that must have 10s of thousands of dry fires/live fires without issue. I like the M&P Pro though and am going to try it out.

Thanks. I just got a new Pro and have a std M&P for back up/parts. The strikers aren't cheap from what I recall.

$33 from SSS

Regarding to the original post- one hour/week dry firing is nothing IMO. I have a G34 that must have 10s of thousands of dry fires/live fires without issue. I like the M&P Pro though and am going to try it out.

They redesigned the striker a few years ago to prevent breakage due to dryfire. My compact and full size still have the old style one. I've had some issues with light strikes with wolf primers with them. I was going to replace them but I finally burned through all stock of wolfs. My 9L and 9Pro have the new style one.

Edited by eisenhow

Damn, AT! Wearing a gun out dry firing is impressive! :roflol:

Yeah, I'm just brutal!:roflol:

I'm sorry you can't make the Battle. :( Maybe next year.

A.T.

Hopefully! I should be back up there in June or July, hopefully get to shoot a match then... Miss shooting with you guys! :cheers:

BTW, I went to your website (again), just to admire all the pretty knives! Very nice work!

http://customknives.com/310.htm

I think this is a hit and miss issue. I have 15,000 live rounds through my 9L, and probably 3/4 of that in dry fire. Never had an ounce of trouble, but a good friend shot mine, decided he wanted one, and his broke at the 1500 round mark with no dry fire. He doesn't even shoot USPSA.

A.T., My wife has over 6000 rounds through her Pro with no issues. Hundreds of dry fires. Another lady you shoot with has over 15k through hers, and they just changed the striker spring. They borrowed the striker and spring from my carry gun to get through BITB. Sounds like you got a bad one.

• 2 weeks later...

S&W has been through five revisions of the striker design in an effort to stop this issue. The latest design is a silver-color part that reportedly has been tested to 70,000 dry fires without a snap-cap. I have that revision in all three of my M&P's.

AT, Tess's gun has at least 15k round through it, started getting light strikes and I did swap it out at BITB for one from a compact for that match. That cured the light strike issue that day.

The original was definately the old style, black in color. I ordered a new assembly from SSS and dropped it in. It looks like stainless/silver in color.

Measuring the old one vs new from SSS there was about 0.002" difference in the firing pin itself. I called S&W this week inquiring about the latest striker, they are sending me one so I'll measure it as well.

At least we'll have a spare laying around in case one does break...

The spring with the new Gen5 strikers seems stronger too. I was having issues igniting RWS ammo, swapped to the Striker that AT borrowed and RWS lit off 100%.

S&W told me the strikers are usually 10 bucks but they shipped one out to me free to replace the old black one.

The new one also have a one piece spring cup/retainer vs the old Glock style two piece spring cups.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the new version from S&W yesterday. Great C.S. It's the new version.:cheers:

A.T.

I broke one several years ago, also from dry firing. They sent me two new ones free of charge.

S&W Customer service rocks!