Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no SA revolvers in uspsa?

stringcheese

I was thinking the Revo class would be a fun second class with no major pistol hassles and easy loads. So I started thinking "what would be a cool pistol that would be fast". With my SASS CA background the Schofield immediately came to mind. I've seen that pistol ran so fast by some cowboys that it would make ol' Jerry Mitch' chuckle. But no mention of it in the uspsa approved list, or any SA revolvers for that matter. I think Uberti makes a clone of it, what gives?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the exception of production USPSA doesnt have an approved list. As long as your revolver meets the conditions of D6 no reason you cant shoot it. Might be a long day shooting a SAA,but a Schoefield should be ok. Especially if you can find speed loaders or plenty of spare cylinders.

With the exception of production USPSA doesnt have an approved list. As long as your revolver meets the conditions of D6 no reason you cant shoot it. Might be a long day shooting a SAA,but a Schoefield should be ok. Especially if you can find speed loaders or plenty of spare cylinders.

I looked at the approved list and the schofield is not on there. I do not know what a self loading pistol with a "retractable slide" is, which is a special rule for revolvers. The ejectors on a schofield do not aid in reloading, so that does not put it into self loading, does it?

I'd definately be the only guy in uspsa running one!

Personally, I think DA revolver shooters are kinda .. nutty to begin with, in our game. You want to do it with a SA ... well. Ok then .. at least it has reasonable sights .. oh, it doesn't? Well at least SASS uses the same power factor we do so it quick follow up shots are clearly possible .. oh, they use light loads? Hmm.

Sure .. you go right ahead. I've been trying to convince raz-0 for years to get some 10rd mag for his .357 Desert eagle and shoot it in limited 10, minor of course. Shooting a Schofield would be no worse I suppose.

I looked at the approved list and the schofield is not on there. I do not know what a self loading pistol with a "retractable slide" is, which is a special rule for revolvers. The ejectors on a schofield do not aid in reloading, so that does not put it into self loading, does it?

I'd definately be the only guy in uspsa running one!

I think that you missed the point of Joe4d's reply.

The approved list is only used if you will be shooting in the Production Division. (Or if you are trying to convince the range officials that your gun is legal for Limited or Limited 10 divisions.)

If you will be shooting in the Revolver Division, then all you need to do is meet the conditions listed in Appendix D6. It doesn't have to be on the approved list.

The special revolver rule is refering to something like this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_revolver, The Mateba was around for awhile, These revolvers use energy from the shot to cycle the cylinder and cock the hammer. Schofield would be perfectly fine, just buy lots of cylinders, your gonna want atleast 6. Ive shot a match with a 1858 remington running conversion cylinders, shoots fast as lightning, loads a might slow.

Personally, I think DA revolver shooters are kinda .. nutty to begin with, in our game. You want to do it with a SA ... well. Ok then .. at least it has reasonable sights .. oh, it doesn't? Well at least SASS uses the same power factor we do so it quick follow up shots are clearly possible .. oh, they use light loads? Hmm.

Sure .. you go right ahead. I've been trying to convince raz-0 for years to get some 10rd mag for his .357 Desert eagle and shoot it in limited 10, minor of course. Shooting a Schofield would be no worse I suppose.

I don't want to be the nutty guy. I thought revolvers were common in uspsa?

The schofield is just plain cool, and IMO a SA can run with a DA. But I hear what you are saying.

I guess that if I was at the top of the game and wanted some shock and awe with a Schofield, that'd be one thing. But as a beginner, it might be better left alone. I haven't even shot my first USPSA match yet! I was thinking that shooting 2 classes would cut my sitting and waiting time between stages in half. Honestly, at the moment, I do not even know if shooting 2 classes during the same match, on the same stages, is allowed. I would think that might kill the spirit of the game, one warm up stage, one go fast. Now that I think about it that way, a shooter would have an unfair advantage shooting the stage twice.

Personally, I think DA revolver shooters are kinda .. nutty to begin with, in our game.

I always love it when people talk this way.....tell you what, Vlad, you bring your bottomfeeder with you to Area 5 or Area 3, and we'll have a friendly little competition just between us two. I'll shoot my revolver against you heads-up. Maybe put a little cash on it just to keep things interesting? :devil:

To be fair, revolver shooters seem to have a LOT of fun and yes they certainly shoot USPSA, I personally think they are nutty but I'm not judging their choices, its simply that those are choices I wouldn't make for myself.

I think you should try it, if no thing else you'll get lots of people talking to you (or about you) and likely they'll all think its pretty cool. I somewhat doubt they can be shot as fast as DA's on the average stage, but the biggest problem would be reloads, as they are likely to be very slow. Does anyone make speed loaders for them (or moonclips) ?

Edited to add: I never said they weren't GOOD shooters, just nutty :)

Edited AGAIN to add: Also ... for some reason I want a .44mag revolver, no reason really. Just want one. I also know FULLY well that if I buy one, I'll end up getting it cut for moonclips and shoot a few matches with it, so this post WILL come back and bit me in the ass as some point.

Edited by Vlad

The schofield is just plain cool, and IMO a SA can run with a DA. But I hear what you are saying.

I don't wear boots and a hat when I shoot, but from what I've seen of CAS stages, you do not want to brag about SA revos before you step up to a USPSA stage to shoot Revolver Division. Unless you have the world's fastest Scofield speedloaders, (does anyone even make any?)or have it cut for moonclips,(that would be interesting) the reloads alone are going to kill you.

but go for it, pardner, we're all up for a little fun now and then. That's why we shoot revolvers.

I don't wear boots and a hat when I shoot, but from what I've seen of CAS stages, you do not want to brag about SA revos before you step up to a USPSA stage to shoot Revolver Division. Unless you have the world's fastest Scofield speedloaders, (does anyone even make any?)or have it cut for moonclips,(that would be interesting) the reloads alone are going to kill you.

but go for it, pardner, we're all up for a little fun now and then. That's why we shoot revolvers.

I've wondered about that also...can a schofield be cut for moonclips? Interesting idea. Somebody do it and make a video...what's the space between the cylinders? close to a 625?

Hey fella take Carmoney's money word is he's kinda slow with them ree-volvers....win one for the jammamatics and put that roundgunner in his place. :roflol:

The special revolver rule is refering to something like this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_revolver, The Mateba was around for awhile, These revolvers use energy from the shot to cycle the cylinder and cock the hammer. Schofield would be perfectly fine, just buy lots of cylinders, your gonna want atleast 6. Ive shot a match with a 1858 remington running conversion cylinders, shoots fast as lightning, loads a might slow.

And also the Webley-Fosbery pistol....

The way I see it, the wheelgunners are the brainiacs of USPSA. They have to break down a stage much more to be able to shoot it quickly. Admitteldly, they are only competeing against other wheelgunners, but to do it fast and accurately seems like quite a challenge, and my hat's off to all that do compete with one.

PS. Anyone who thinks that wheelgunners are slow, look at this:

Just love SAA and have a bunch of them. Probably the fastest gun in existence in the right hands, when talking about RPM, even though the first 3 rounds out of the 6, wouldn't even register on a time (sub .10).

Now look! If you have ever been at a SASS match, you would understand why this has no place in USPSA.....or I could be totally wrong, and owe many good folks an excuse for my blunt statement here.

Just saying OK.

A SAA would be a nightmare, but the Schofield would only be a bad dream. The Schofield is not as easy to shoot with two hands as the SAA, but again, reloads would be the pits. If it were me, I would be more inclined to shoot Steel Challenge with my SAA's (actually old style Ruger Vaquero's), or Cowboy 3 Gun, something like that. I am in no way taking away from the SAA, again, I love mine. I was a runner up in the PNW for Speed Pistol, and Speed rifle, top ten traditional shooters, State Champion Cowboy Shotgun, and I know I would end up at the bottom of the list (and I am an optimistic kinda guy).

Now if I could use Two Pistols, and a Rifle, That would be a blast! I wish that there was more movement in SASS. Not draw, shoot, holster, run to the next spot, repeat... The creativity of the stages really went down hill, turning into a "stand and deliver" sort of thing.

Awe, maybe it wouldn't be bad, as a side match or something. If you really wanted to try, you would definately need a Schofield that was cut for Moon Clips, and you would need to shoot real loads in the thing, not a typical "Cowboy" load. The PF requirements could be a bit of a problem in a Schofield????

Let us know what you decide! :cheers:

WG

They definately could not be cut for moonclips. The moonclip would replace the ejector. Shooting one would not be practical without speedloaders, which have been around since Wild Bill shot a schofield, but might be hard to find now.

Now that I think about it, I guess you could replace the ejector with a moonclip as long as the ejector rod could throw the whole moonclip...hmmmmm?? The cylinder is basically already cut and held by a moonclip that is the ejector itself.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG1qHLPhyQM2SmdCBUK

As far as the CAS, SA vs DA stuff. A fast CAS shooter makes 5 + 5 pistol shots, 10 lever rifle shots, and loads (by hand) then fires an average 4 shotshells from at least 3 shooting areas in around 15 seconds. With no dump targets, no double taps. It took me 30 seconds for the same stage. They had a mechanical advantage like the difference between an open gun and an unworked production gun.

I heard from one of my CAS buddies that he talked his way into a club level 3 gun match in Ohio in 2009 shooting his single actions. He claimed to have swept the match. I really do not know if this is true. It would have been August 2009 if anyone in Ohio witnessed it?

Anyway, the thought sounded fun. i still do not know if you can shoot 2 classes at the same match?

Edited by stringcheese

They definately could not be cut for moonclips. The moonclip would replace the ejector. Shooting one would not be practical without speedloaders, which have been around since Wild Bill shot a schofield, but might be hard to find now.

Now that I think about it, I guess you could replace the ejector with a moonclip as long as the ejector rod could throw the whole moonclip...hmmmmm?? The cylinder is basically already cut and held by a moonclip that is the ejector itself.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG1qHLPhyQM2SmdCBUK

As far as the CAS, SA vs DA stuff. A fast CAS shooter makes 5 + 5 pistol shots, 10 lever rifle shots, and loads (by hand) then fires an average 4 shotshells from at least 3 shooting areas in around 15 seconds. With no dump targets, no double taps. It took me 30 seconds for the same stage. They had a mechanical advantage like the difference between an open gun and an unworked production gun.

I heard from one of my CAS buddies that he talked his way into a club level 3 gun match in Ohio in 2009 shooting his single actions. He claimed to have swept the match. I really do not know if this is true. It would have been August 2009 if anyone in Ohio witnessed it?

Anyway, the thought sounded fun. i still do not know if you can shoot 2 classes at the same match?

Point of history...Wild Bill Hickock never carried a Schofield. His pistols were 1851 Colt Navy cap and ball in .36 caliber.

i still do not know if you can shoot 2 classes at the same match?

Hold the phone a minute fella.....The extractor isn't replaced....it's milled down a few thousandths along with the cylinder face...all my moonclipped revos still have extractors.

Most USPSA matches run so long that you only have time for one gun unless its a club level match running two different sessions, but only the first gun would count for score in a particular division seeing as you get a great live fire walkthrough before the second attempt. If you were running two guns in the same session you wouldn't have time to help paste targets and make friends with the other shooters. :D

It is my impression that most cowboy loads are far lighter then the powerfactor we require in our guns. I suspect they would be somewhat harder to shoot at that speed with power factor ammo, but hey .. I might be wrong.