Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para 16-40 power extractor

Shootin Newton

I just bought a used Para 16-40 Limited, I like the gun, but today I shot it for the first time, and it consistantly failed to feed my reloads ( 180 grain Bear Creek, 5.3 grains Unique ), so I tried some factory ammo to make sure it wasen't my loads with the same result, I had the recoil spring checked and it was 8 lbs, I installed a 14 LB spring and will try again tommorow, while it was apart I removed the power extractor and cleaned it up, I have read some of the comments about changing back to a standard 1911 type extractor, should I shoot it for awhile or just go ahead and order the sleeve and switch it out ? By the way how dificult is it to install the sleeve and new extractor ?

Thanks

Shoot it and if runs go for it. When it gives you any problems, sleeve and a extractor. Millennium Custom and EGW both make the sleeves. Sleeve and extractor costs half what a power extractor does.

Installation simple but you need to tension the extractor

I switched the my P18 after problems, shooting it for about couple of years, no problems. I made my own sleeve and use a Caspian extractor.

I ran alot of factory american eagle through mine. I also loaded alot of Precision Moly, usually loaded to about 1.150. Light springing just never worked for me expecially from full magazines. I generally ran a 16lb spring.

The power extractors work ok in .45, but mine, and from wha I've heard, many others, did not work well enough in .40, and/or 9 - so try the new recoil spring, it may help; but I'd still sleeve it - either now or later.

I think the problem lies with the extractor itself. I think para had good intentions beefing up the extractor, but a problem with the metalury sp or hardness, caused them to break easily. Personally I would just buy the sleeve and install a quality extractor and be done with it. Its just another problem waiting to happen.

I'm loading 180 grain to 1.120"OAL, I just loaded some today to 1.130" to see how they run, if the power extractor works I may try it for awhile, but I'm going to order the sleeve so I'll be ready to change it out, what is involved in changing to a 1911 extractor, the the sleeve looks very simple, is it a press fit or ? Thanks for all the tips.

I'm loading 180 grain to 1.120"OAL, I just loaded some today to 1.130" to see how they run, if the power extractor works I may try it for awhile, but I'm going to order the sleeve so I'll be ready to change it out, what is involved in changing to a 1911 extractor, the the sleeve looks very simple, is it a press fit or ? Thanks for all the tips.

thats a good question, if you give me the outside dimension of your power extractor, I can tell you what the diameter of the sleeve is.

Well after some trial and error I got the 16-40 working, I changed the recoil spring to a 14 LB which corrected the feeding problem, then it would not eject, I removed the power extractor and the spring in it was very heavy, the extractor would hardly move, after trying several springs I found one that worked, it now functions very well, now I'm trying several .40 loads and bullet weights to see what works best. I talked to several shooters that load the .40 S&W to 1.225" OAL, but they have machined the chamber to allow this, I loaded some 1.150" OAL but have not tried them yet, it feeds 180 grain 1.130"-1.135" OAL very well.

Thanks

Well after some trial and error I got the 16-40 working, I changed the recoil spring to a 14 LB which corrected the feeding problem, then it would not eject, I removed the power extractor and the spring in it was very heavy, the extractor would hardly move, after trying several springs I found one that worked, it now functions very well, now I'm trying several .40 loads and bullet weights to see what works best. I talked to several shooters that load the .40 S&W to 1.225" OAL, but they have machined the chamber to allow this, I loaded some 1.150" OAL but have not tried them yet, it feeds 180 grain 1.130"-1.135" OAL very well.

Thanks

Do you know how long you can load? Load a dummy, no powder or primer, just size, bell, bullet and tapper crimp, and load it long, like 1.250. Take your barrel out of the gun and drop it in. The bullet will probably contact the throat before it chambers. Seat it gradually deeper until it just starts to get sticky but the round is fully chambered. That is your max OAL for that bullet. It will be different for every style/make of bullet.

My OEM Para S1640S barrel will take well over 1.220 OAL and the KART barrel will take 1.244 OAL with MG 180g JHP bullets.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

mine ran well with a 12lb spring, and it liked shorter ammo... could have just been my gun...careful taking the extractor out... its really unlike anything i have ever messed with, reminds me of my rugar 22/45 but a much bigger version

• 4 months later...

I tried the dummy load method of measuring for maximum OAL in my new Para P16-40 Limited and with A 200 GR Xtreme Plated RNFP bullet I measured 1.280" consistently, wow that is a long leade. Anyway have been loading out to 1.250" with the 200gr bullet giving me a 0.030" jump and everything worked great until the ejector loosened up. Will replace ejector this weekend and see how it runs.