Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM striker retaining roll pin

Red Ryder

Happened to me within 6 months. And my buddy twice in 4 months. The one I got from a store online seemed to be thicker then factory, took alot to get it in but it has held. This is one of the reasons I no longer shoot a xdm

BTW snap cap or no snap cap they still break. Both mine and friends happened while shooting...its a major design flaw which as usual springfield doesn't seem to care to remedy

Edited by sdm74

It happens with most commonly with large amounts of dry fire and no snap caps. It is cheap and easy to replace them.

I anticipated this and ordered extra pins and the roll punchs from Springer. But it was HELL to put the new one in. Was it supposed to be that hard? Do you have any advice the make insertion easier just in case it breaks again?

It happens with most commonly with large amounts of dry fire and no snap caps. It is cheap and easy to replace them.

I anticipated this and ordered extra pins and the roll punchs from Springer. But it was HELL to put the new one in. Was it supposed to be that hard? Do you have any advice the make insertion easier just in case it breaks again?

Starter punch

Starter punch

Was this starter punch included in the pack of punches I also ordered from SP? The roll pin punch works well!

Starter punch

Was this starter punch included in the pack of punches I also ordered from SP? The roll pin punch works well!

We added it to the pack, but the first packs didn't have them. If you have a punch that is hollow, you put the pin in it and orient the pin and give it a whack. You shouldn't need to crimp it if you have the starter punch, just a dab of oil on the end of the roll pin will get you started.

Starter punch

We added it to the pack, but the first packs didn't have them. If you have a punch that is hollow, you put the pin in it and orient the pin and give it a whack. You shouldn't need to crimp it if you have the starter punch, just a dab of oil on the end of the roll pin will get you started.

Of course I didn't get the hollow punch. That's my kinda luck.

• 4 months later...

20k rounds and a LOT of dryfire in my XDM 40 and nothings broke yet....

Spoke too soon, my striker retainer pin broke today. I knew I should have ordered some spares. Glad it was now instead of at Area 4. :angry2:

Powder River Precision has much stronger pins. Haven't had to replace thier pin since installing it last summer, and they go in much easier than the stock pin. Just tap it in with a hammer. I've taken it out several times when cleaning, and there was no wear on the pin. I do lots of dry fire, so it has been tested over the last year.

• 8 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I ad my pin break on me last night while cleaning. I looked up and measured the sizes and ordered some spring pins from McMaster Carr. Pack of 50 steel pins was $10. I figured it was worth a shot. Will let you all know how they fit when they come in and I get the gun back together.

I bought the XD / XDm punch set, and a half dozen pins, for Springer's a year ago. Have yet to break a pen. Go figure!

Same thing here, no breakage with about 14K rounds thru it and a ton of dry firing.

Happened to me within 6 months. And my buddy twice in 4 months. The one I got from a store online seemed to be thicker then factory, took alot to get it in but it has held. This is one of the reasons I no longer shoot a xdm

BTW snap cap or no snap cap they still break. Both mine and friends happened while shooting...its a major design flaw which as usual springfield doesn't seem to care to remedy

Same here steve, when I had an XDM I went through 3.

I recieved the spring roll pins from McMaster (M3x16). Installed one and it seems to be a great fit. Did some dry firing and everything is OK. The real proof is in the actual firing, I know.

The PRP spring roll pins seem to be McMaster P/N 91612A149 (18-8 SS Spring Roll Pins).

• 1 year later...

Figured it better to revivve an old thread than start a new one on the same topic. What I haven't seen so far is instructions in replacing the striker retainer pin. Can I just drive the current one out with the new one like you can with some other pins, or do I need to disassemble the slide assembly, which I heard is a bear. My current pins are not broken (3 XDMs) but am doing this is a preventive issue.

I replaced the factory pin with the Powder River pin about the middle of last season, it was fairly easy. If I'm not mistaken, Powder River has a Youtube video showing step by step instructions. My memory is foggy, but pretty sure you completely disassemble the slid assembly and then replace. 10k rounds and still going! But, I have spares!!

I found Powder River's video. That looks super easy - will try soon. Now that I see that the pin is going through a long slot in the striker it appears I can indeed just drive the new one through as I drive out the old one. I don't know about the above stated needs for a pin punch to start the pin, He pushed it most of the way in with his bare fingers and finished off with a few light taps. Maybe the pins from different sources are harder.