Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cross Training with steel

Wild Gene

Ok, we have discussed Combat type cross training, so please lets not go there.

What about cross training with Steel Challenge courses? How does it affect your USPSA shooting? Does the lack of movement help, hinder or not affect you? Do you shoot only guns similar or the same as you use when shooting USPSA matches?

What about Rimfire? If I shoot Limited normally, would it not be best to shoot an iron sights .22? I could see that this would help with trigger control and sight picture.

I know these may seem like silly questions, but I really think that while years of CAS may have helped some aspects of my shooting, for instance steel and Texas stars are great fun for me, but we were so limited on movement, that I still find myself standing and shooting, and will have to keep telling myself to keep moving. Another thing that is really different, as trivial as it may seem, is the order in which we shot targets. We always had some sort of order to shoot steel, such as sweep L-R, R-L, inside-out, outside-in, (you get the picture) rather than shooting in an order that facilitates movement to the next target.

I do believe that any type of shooting competition that involves a timer will help when it comes to normal match pressure.

Again, I guess my biggest question I am most interested in is shooting Iron vs. Optics in rimfire as a Limited Division USPSA shooter?

Thanks,

WG

I haven't shot any official like Steel Challenge matches but I have shot some matches that seem pretty similar. Bowling pins too. I find that they really show me how crappy I am at transitions and are a good place to work on them. Pretty humbling experience my first time out. I had a blast!

I've shot these matches with my Production gun (Glock) and with a .22 conversion on a 1911. The rimfire is nice and cheap to shoot and I don't find switching platforms to be that difficult as long as I do some dry firing beforehand.

I shoot these every chance I can! Steel challenge matches give me 5 times draws to every one at uspsa, and some of those are to a 10 inch plate at distance. It really helps you see how fast you can go without going too fast and missing. Plus, you can ramp up your speed at each take.

it's good practice, and now I'm not scared at all on the long steel courses our local MD likes to set up ;P

I shoot in my local steel challenge matches. It's a very humbling experience for me.

I usually shoot USPSA and win my local matches, or place very close to the top. At the steel challenge matches the rim fire guys kick my ass. Granted they don't have to draw and I do with my usual USPSA rig, bit there is lots of room for improvement.

I shoot in my local steel challenge matches. It's a very humbling experience for me.

I usually shoot USPSA and win my local matches, or place very close to the top. At the steel challenge matches the rim fire guys kick my ass. Granted they don't have to draw and I do with my usual USPSA rig, bit there is lots of room for improvement.

I was at the Abbate's range and watched Billy shoot rimfire on his SC course. He was so fast, and so smooooooth, he made it look easy. I didn't even want to try, preferring to keep the illusion that I could do that too. :roflol:

WG