Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI or Limcat?

digby7

Man this is a tough decision. I have a feeling I cant go wrong either way but wondering if I can get some feedback from some of you that own or have shot either.

Currently I shoot L10 minor with a singlestack 9mm. I'm really only shooting local matches and doing so for fun. Occasionally the stars will align and I'll win L10 at the local club match regardless of the fact that i'm shooting Minor.

From Limcat - looking at a wildcat thats fairly stock

From SVI - probably looking at a AET barrel short normal dustcover with internal lightening on the slide.

Looking for something thats dead reliable which I think most likely will be, accurate and will last me a 60k rounds at the least without needing to go back in for a barrel or slide.

Last thing i'm struggling with is whether or not to shoot limited minor!

I live in a 2 bedroom apt in San Francisco, the wife is non too fond of my shooting in general and I cant reload for another few years till we get a house with a garage. 9mm is dirt cheap and i'm shooting for A's instead of speed.

First thing’s first, why aren’t you shooting your single stack 9mm in Single Stack division? Your allowed to use 10rd mags with minor PF.

Anyway, I can’t speak for the accessibility of Limcats in cali, but there is a cali legal SVI that meets you specs to a T (except for caliber). SVI can take care of that though. You can have it DROSed just like any other cali-legal handgun. The cali SV doesn’t have internal lightening, but the tritopping takes a good amount of weight out.

Ditto what BOB said: I don't believe you can order up one of Johnny's guns - they're not on the CA DOJ list. You may be able to find one used and do a PPT. It's a shame because Johnny's just next door in Nevada.

I'm in the same location boat - San Francisco (outer Sunset) in fact. I stopped shooting in the late 90's and came back last year. I found that there are many restrictions for CA residents, the list being the most important as it relates to custom guns.

I decided to go the SVI route and I should have a new gun in hand by the end of the year. FYI - it's about a year lead time with SVI.

Do up a Gunbuilder on their site and send it off for a quote. They can do most things, however if you want something truly custom i.e. serrations, there will be a programming charge. I don't know if they do internal lightening at all - best to note what you want in your design or ask Brandon after you submit it.

If you want, PM me and we can meet at Richmond some time.

Edited by lumpygravy

GO with the SV, with proper care the pistol will last longer than the state of CA will... I shot limited minor with my SV and had a great time, helped me get to master, those little quick classifiers go even quicker with minor loads.

Since you live in CAliban, you're limited to 10 rounds anyways ( wink wink). i have shot a Limcat wildcat. Great gun, a little on the heavy side due to the TSC- sleeved barrel( don't know if Johnny still does this). As you said you can;t go wrong on either of the 2.

Edited by bulm540

with the Limcat I was planning on doing a singleshot excemption on it. Ive spoken to Johny and Brandon at Limcat and SVI about all kinds of random things the last week or two and i think i know exactly what I would order at either shop, I just cant make a decision on which :)

I'd like to shoot minor as for any ongoing costs i'm pretty cheap. one time purchases are different though :)

I shoot L10 as I hate reaching around my spine to reload, that is oddly enough the main reason now that I stop to think about it. I like having mags up front or wherever I want them to be.

I find it odd and a little annoying that the classes that have to reload maybe 4-5 times during a stage need to have their mags behind the hip bone, while a limited or open shooter that might reload once can stick themwhereever they like.

I find it odd and a little annoying that the classes that have to reload maybe 4-5 times during a stage need to have their mags behind the hip bone, while a limited or open shooter that might reload once can stick themwhereever they like.

+1 so true

When I started shooting, I bought a SV with a bushing 9 barrel and breach face and a 40 s&w bull barrel and breachface, as they are interchangable .I was able to shoot Idpa with the 9, USPSA with the 9 and 40. Still my favorite gun, and I've bought a few since then.

go with the Limcat...Johnny does a great job on em and if you have any problems he is 'semi-local' in that it is a short drive to reno or he comes down here to shoot in northern cali pretty much all the time, and to run into him and have him fix it on the range is not that unusual, he was really goodto me when i got both of mine, the probs i had, were, like i said, fixed at a match

When I started shooting, I bought a SV with a bushing 9 barrel and breach face and a 40 s&w bull barrel and breachface, as they are interchangable .I was able to shoot Idpa with the 9, USPSA with the 9 and 40. Still my favorite gun, and I've bought a few since then.

Can't get your link to work on the signature.

On guns, they are both really super. I would go with whichever one could get me my gun the quickest. :rolleyes:

Think you just described my next gun.

I think the cost of a extra barrel/breechface/extractor fitted from svi at the same time was around 700, add another 600 for mags and it ends up fairly expensive, enough of a extra cost on top of 3.5-4k at least to make my head start spining.

Does anyone know what the differnece is between mag tube bodies for a .40 and a 9mm? On my 9mm singlestack mags, they have a backplate on the bag to fit the 9mm better, wondering if something like that could be done so I could run both calibers reliably from one set of mags.

700 alone wouldnt be tooo bad.

The way i think of things, .40 goes for $300 a case shipped from atlanta arms, 9mm is $200 a case, I'd break even after 7k rounds of 9mm alone.