Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Laws from your state/country

I'm just curious. Tell me where you live and a little about being a gun owner there. Please do no turn this into a "let's bash that law" thread. I thought it might be neat to learn what other folks have to put up with law wise. And how is gun ownership/shooting sports looked on by friends and neighbors.

I'll go first.

I live in Texas. Semi rural part of the state. No registration, no capacity limits, own as much as you want, very good concealed carry laws. Most people I run across are very accepting of shooting sports here. Even non gun owners seem to realize it is a pretty normal thing around here. There are a few things that could improve, in my opinion, but overall I sure can't complain.

Mods,

I'm not sure this thread is kosher or not. Please feel free to move or close it if it is.

South Carolina. Right to Carry State - CWP required. CWP's require 8 hours of training. Otherwise, we have no capacity restrictions or required permits to purchase own (only to carry). We have reciprocity with some states but not with states like Georgia, Ala, and others because our CWP process requires more training.

Here you can be 18 to own a handgun - but you are not allowed to buy one :wacko: . A legal handgun owner can carry a handgun in their glove compartment or console without a permit. We have a castle doctrine.

The information that you seek is available at http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Not sure he is seeking "information", a simple google search will pull that up. More-so making conversation about the gun laws in different states. Thanks for the thoughtfulness of posting that link though.

I live in New Mexico in a town of about 100k. Open carry of a loaded handgun permitted without a permit, concealed carry in a vehicle or motorcycle without a permit. Don't have to separate ammo from gun during transport. Permit required for concealed carry outside your home/vehicle.....1 concealed handgun at a time carry limit (I.e. you cannot carry a backup). 18 to own a handgun, 21 to purchase. 18 to purchase a rifle/shotgun, not sure on the min age to own. No lengthy background check for purchase of any kind....they just call your DL and SSN in and clear/decline you.

I love the NM gun laws since they are relatively non-restrictive. My state is pretty gun friendly....just hope it stays that way!

Great thread! Hope it doesn't turn political and ruin it for all of us.

Edited by Erik S.

Like J, I live in Texas. I will just add thats its kinda cool when DPS pulls you over on the interstate for no LP light, sees the rifles on your Skybar and asks to take one down, not to run serials but just to fondle it. 15 minutes conversation follows. :)

Like J, I live in Texas. I will just add thats its kinda cool when DPS pulls you over on the interstate for no LP light, sees the rifles on your Skybar and asks to take one down, not to run serials but just to fondle it. 15 minutes conversation follows. :)

Every time I ever got pulled over in Texas no matter what guns I had with me I got a slip. Wife.......not so much.

North Carolina

- Pistol purchase permit (means Sheriff did a BG check) or CCW needed

- Rifle purchase - NICS check done

- CCW - One day class

- No limits

- Most counties are Class III friendly

- Without CCW, loaded handgun in vehicle must be in plain sight

Nassau County NY

We have our own AWB

Long guns only require a background check from a FFL

Our DA recently raided the local gun shops saying that pinned stocks did not meet the requirement of a fixed stock, therefore illegal and that a pinned brake is not permanent and also illegal. Now everyone is afraid to go to the range with their AR until a ruling has been made.

Handguns, need a pistol permit, very rarely is CCW given out unless you are retired LEO, But you can carry go to or from the range

You can not touch a pistol without a permit, meaning you can not go to a FFL to see if you like it, you can not shoot your friends handgun... nothing. If you move into the County, your hand guns either must stay out of state or at the FFL

Permit takes at least 6 month,$300. When it does final come, to get a handgun, you need a purchase order( which you have to pay for) go to the dealer, buy the gun and the bring it back to The Nassau Co Police to have them inspect the gun and put it on your permit. You can only possess guns that are listed on your permit.

No MG,SBR,SBS,supressors

It truly is hell here and the gun laws are not the worst part