Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters for 2011 and 1911

humzai

I want to get a holster to fit both my 1911s and a Svi with full length dustcover and rails I plan on getting later. I was looking at the safariland 6378 and wondering if that would work? What other options do I have for concealed carry. I wish Raven Concealment made one for them but I guess I will just have to wait.

Thanks

No offence intended, but that's like the old story of a guy asking what sort of gas mileage he could expect from the airplane he's planning on buying. The salesman replied, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".

If you can come up with the money to buy an SVI, buy a holster to fit it. You'll be glad you did.

If you insist on having one for both, I don't think the 6378 is the right choice. It looks to be an injection moulded holster, specific to the model of gun carried. With the dust cover on an SV (I assume a wide-body, 2011-type pistol) being wider and longer, the fit of a 1911 in the same holster would be less than ideal. However, this might work if you can find one in stock somewhere:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Adjuster-Holster-Multi-Pistol-Right-Hand-Black-Shark/productinfo/A1BSR/

No offence intended, but that's like the old story of a guy asking what sort of gas mileage he could expect from the airplane he's planning on buying. The salesman replied, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".

If you can come up with the money to buy an SVI, buy a holster to fit it. You'll be glad you did.

If you insist on having one for both, I don't think the 6378 is the right choice. It looks to be an injection moulded holster, specific to the model of gun carried. With the dust cover on an SV (I assume a wide-body, 2011-type pistol) being wider and longer, the fit of a 1911 in the same holster would be less than ideal. However, this might work if you can find one in stock somewhere:

Good point I guess I will go with separate holsters. That was not really my main concern though; I am having trouble finding much in the way of ccw holsters for the full length dustcover 2011s.

He should be good as long as he takes the bipod off first. That said, some folks can CCW some supprisingly large weapons. Not a IWB though, and not in the summer. I carry a full size, full weight 1911 with x-mags all day, everyday, everywhere (sheep Dog) . I don't even want to think about for how long, I'm 55 now (good shape though) . Never been a issue. I'm 5'10'' and have a 34 wast, 155 lbs. I hate IWB and will not use one, and its HOT here on the border! I have the authority to open carry if I want - but that's only about 20% of the time and mostly conducting training. There is some skill (how to) required in carrying a weapon either CCW or open regardless of its - or your size. Having someone make your weapon when it should be concealed is at best an embarrassment, and some who CCW can be charged with brandishing under some State's laws. One size does not fit all. Training helps. And yes a "reasonable" sized weapon helps. The key is REASONABLE. But as the man says, observe, orient, decide, act. We all don't live in the same world. We all don't wear the same size pants. Your Boogie man is not my Boogie Man. There was an advertizing campaign out for a while. It said something to the effect that life or death decisions are made at the cash register. I liked that.

Ok, now that a CCW for an SV with a bipod, and don't forget the new lightweight steel grips is out of the way.

I used a Blade Tech, the plastic will rub off the hard chrome or almost any other finish. I would look for something that is not going to wear off the finish.

I liked the Blade Tech, I went from a Ghost to BT because I wanted a more secure holster. Yeah Yeah, I know all about the locking on a Ghost. I like the Ghost but I did not feel secure enough in it.

I finally have a Safariland 013, which I like best. I had the 012 and sold it for the Ghost.

So 012->Ghost->Blade Tech -> 013. Four holsters in ten years. I am probably not doing my fair share of keeping our vendors happy.