Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Habit with grip !

JayJayJay

Bad habit.

I have a bad habit that I have had for years and cannot stop doing it. Even JJ Racaza pointed it out to me back in 2004 when he was instructing me. I have had a few master and one grand master from my club tell me about it. I need some help.

Every time I shoot a few rounds I will readjust me grip. I shoot right handed and my support hand will move out of place and I will readjust. I can't seem to stop it and I know I am wasting time with this during matches. What the heck am I going to do to stop this???????????????????????????

Edited by JayJayJay

Is there a need to readjust or is your hand going back to the same place it was after the shot? Without a proper grip so much of your other efforts will be in vain. Your next practice session do nothing but focus on correcting this issue. Set up one target practice bill drills, shooting with support hand only, etc. If JJ told you to correct this back in 2004 and you have not done it by now, I don't think this will be a quick fix.

There are so other helpfull threads here aswell. I searched and found several.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9608&st=0&p=111764&hl="grip%20problems"&fromsearch=1entry111764

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9228&st=0&p=106832&hl="grip%20problems"&fromsearch=1entry106832

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2098&st=0&p=7885&hl="grip%20problems"&fromsearch=1entry7885

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62&st=0&p=2392&hl="grip%20problems"&fromsearch=1entry2392

It sounds like your problem is a negative conditioned response rather than an actual deficiency in the grip. Since you haven't responded to verbal instruction, I'd suggest that you have some video taken of a practice session. Sometimes, seeing the act reaches the subconscious where verbal instruction doesn't. Then, replace the negative habit with a positive. For example, focus on applying force laterally across the gun with the support hand. Use whatever works for you. Be consistent, it took thousands of repetitions to create the bad habit and it will take thousands to replace it.

It sounds like your problem is a negative conditioned response rather than an actual deficiency in the grip. Since you haven't responded to verbal instruction, I'd suggest that you have some video taken of a practice session. Sometimes, seeing the act reaches the subconscious where verbal instruction doesn't. Then, replace the negative habit with a positive. For example, focus on applying force laterally across the gun with the support hand. Use whatever works for you. Be consistent, it took thousands of repetitions to create the bad habit and it will take thousands to replace it.

+1 sounds like conditioned responce..practice dry firing with some targets and pulling trigger repeatedly

Since you say that your support hand moves out of place, is the hand possibly slipping off?

If moisture (sweaty hand) is the issue, there are powders and lotions (e.g. Progrip) that will get your hand dry and increase grippyness.

If your hands are dry, see if someone can work with you on the "perfect grip" for you and on how to apply grip strength in each of your hands. After that, dryfire and live fire drills with a good focus on your newly acquired skill set may help.

A bit of negative reinforcement may be helpful here..... :devil:

(Video this and post it here)

Have a friend....an evil friend...stand next to you with a taser and every time you adjust your grip he tases you.

Aside from being amusing for the rest of us it will cure your problem quickly ....I guarentee it or your money back!

Theres nothing that can't be cured with a little proper application of negative reinforcement.

That and explosives...

Have a friend....an evil friend...stand next to you with a taser and every time you adjust your grip he tases you.

Aside from being amusing for the rest of us it will cure your problem quickly ....I guarentee it or your money back!

Theres nothing that can't be cured with a little proper application of negative reinforcement.

That and explosives...

Geez, how about a moped chain across the eyes?? :rolleyes:

That and explosives...

What he said sounds good.

Hey now....you learn very early on in boot cap that pain and fear are powerful motivators for behavioral change.

Much more powerful than the warm fuzzies everyone wants.

Figure it out...if every time a guy did something wrong he got struck across the chops with a 2x4 how many strikes do you think it would take before a behavioral change would be visible on the horizon?

Just trying to help you understand....not thinking of the entertainment factor at all.

JK

That and explosives...

That was funny. I havent been shooting in a few months. I plan on going to a local match next month if my new Glcok is ready by than. I will have someone video me and I will get to see it first hand.

Just grip harder with the weak hand from the draw until you are finished. Burn a little conscious thought to making the squeeze happen. You cannot readjust if you are focused on squeezing harder with that hand.

That and explosives...

That was funny. I havent been shooting in a few months. I plan on going to a local match next month if my new Glcok is ready by than. I will have someone video me and I will get to see it first hand.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363&hl=en#

I watch this all the time as a reminder, enjoy!

Edited by Justinsaneok