Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian hi-cap magazine tuning

Bill Schwab

I was hangin' with a fellow Caspian shooter at the Fredericksburg, Virginia match a few weeks ago and he started expressing his love for the gun, yet his hate for the magazines. He felt the mags were the weak link, and required constant tuning. As a new Caspian shooter my curiousity was peaked, I only have approx 1200 rounds through mine, but have not had to tune mags. He proceeded to tell me how he constantly had to bend the feed lips to certain dimensions, one dimension at the front of the lips and another dimension at the rear; he couldn't recall the dimensions. Is this standard procedure? If so, can someone share the dimensions so I can be prepared to tweak?

Thanks!

Parallel works fine - at least for 38super.

Made a feedlip-bending tool at my buddy's auto shop. Need to use it pretty often.

I advise anyone, but especially Caspian shooters, don't load in excess of 4 rounds beyond what you need your drop mag to shoot. Drop more than 4 rounds with the mag and you're asking for trouble.

I have been using the same caspian mags for 10 years without doing anything other then replacing the springs. My mags work perfectly every time. I didn't know there was a problem with the mags.

Been using and dropping the same five competition mags from my Caspian .38 Super for seven years without touching the feed lips on any of them. :blink:

Half of the year they get dropped on the concrete floor of the indoor ranges. :wacko:

been using the same mags for 10 years, other that smoothing out the sharp feed lips, I haven't touched them. just changed out the followers and springs every so often. but those are my hard cromed ones, I've got a blued one that I bent the hell out of to get it to work.

My caspian is a first generation frame and the mags I use I need often to examine and bend the front of to mag to let it glide easily into and out of the frame. It all depends how often the mag falls on a concret floor. My 28 round mag (using rimless) I never let it fall on the ground and doesn't need corrections. It all depends how you treat your mags.

My advice: always use the same mags for training, correct them and use them again. Keep your match mags clean and load the cartridges just for the match.

Eric Grauffel loads his mag just a few minutes before he must shoot his stage, but he uses a tanfoglio, not the gun I like.

Around .355 in the front, .320 in the rear with Super Comp brass.

Mine vary in between .360 to .330 in the front and .271 to .337 in the rear but they all work.

For this pistol, .357 F and .322 R feeds like butter.

SRT,

Those dimensions should also work with the Craig 27 rounder, right? I have a Craig that constantly nosedives the bullet into the feedramp.

Thanks!

Bill,

These are dimensions are for Caspian and Springfield mags. My big stick is a welded pair of Caspian's (Yes, it's legal made in '93 :P ) Front .351, rear .317 Check the angle of the follower. Mine is abt 20 degrees. Ain't pretty but always works.

Don't have any experience with Craig Caspian mags..sorry.

My mags were likely d***** with much more than necessary by the original owner of the gun and his "ipsc gunsmith" sponsor. I bought it after they had the reliablity at 100%. Metal fatigue might be my problem.

I have seen feed lips bend outward on all my other semi-auto guns (except the .22s) including Colt, EAA, Glock and of course Caspian. Check if you are cautious. If you load ammo 30min before a match, never mind...

• 2 years later...

A ray of hope....for mag questers;

At the Nats I grabbed TT and spoke to the folks at SPS about making tubes and complete mags for the caspian. We are sending them a mag to see if they can copy it. The details are in the feed lips.

I told them we need .40 tubes in 140 and "standard" length, and .38 / 9mm tubes in 140 and 170 length.

Keep your fingers crossed.

T....get me that mag.

• 1 month later...

Guys, ok, thread bump....

I need some help from the no BS CASPIAN users. How much actual interest is there in new mags and guns?

I am trying to put together a run of Caspian mags and tubes. I know this has been asked before, but how many serious mag BUYERS are there out there.

Please, grab every Caspian guy you know and have them email me. If there really is demand, I am pretty sure we can get it done.

dirtypool40@yahoo.com