Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One small step for reloading

Whats up you guy, decided to come out of the shadows today, been a long time lurker and making use of the search button :D. Anyways, I decided that I wanted to try out USPSA open division sometime in the next year or two. Production would suffice for a newb like me to the sport, but I just cant let my XDM9 be and have decided to do a slow build. Which brings me to reloading, I want to try for 9 major so I decided to start reloading first to get a alot of experiance and a good understanding of building a round before I make the jump to making major loads.

So what to do with the tax return that was more than a month late and was given as a check vs. DD which I asked for. Well I want to get into reloading so I decided to follow the advice that is given to new reloaders, READ!!!! So I had bought the ABCs of reloading 8th Ed. a month ago, and on wednesday I went to midway and decided to get this:

Lee single stage press

Though to myself "heck I'll just be paying $9 for the manual"

Also included are Lees universal shell holder

Lee shellholder

chamfer and deburring tool

Lee chamfer and deburring tool

and a universal reloading tray

Lyman Universal Reloading Tray

Thats it for now, looking for an plans for building a reloading bench right now. My initial want was to get the Lee 50th anniversary press kit

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit - MidwayUSA

but decided that I prefer a digital scale and since I wanted to get a Lee reloading manual might as well get the one with the press. It comes in on the monday so I'm pretty exicted.

So that was a pretty lengthy intro........

Ahhh forgot to add pics of the Race gun to be....plans are to send it to Scott at springer precision and get the trigger worked, creakote the slide and comp and get a bar-sto barrel fitted and other stuff....

009-3.jpg

008-9.jpg

012-4.jpg

Forget the Lee. USPSA will require moocho ammo! Here is my list!

1. 2-3 reloading manuals

2. A case or 2 of Montana Gold bullets of your choice, 4 lb jug of Titegroup, 5000 pistol primers.

3. Hornady Lock N Load AP, Dillon 650 . Research in that order. Buy the one that fits your budget!

4. Redding Pro Dies where the seating and Taper crimp are separate (for 5 station presses Hornady AP or dillon 650).

5. Powder check die or Dillon powder check system.

6. EGW U die. A resizing/decapping die available at EGW gun works. Google "EGW gun" for the web site.

5. Digital Calipers.

6. Digital powder scale from Brian Enos.

7. Case gauge for your caliber.

8. Case tumbler and walnut or corn cob media.

9 "Hornady One Shot" spray can of case lube.

10. Several one gallon ziplock bags to store the range brass you pick up.

11. An old coffee can to put the screw up rounds in.

12. Bullet puller to recover your screw up round components.

13. Dillon primer flip tray. It is the best.

14. CED 2 Chronograph.

15. A good notebook.

16. The correct shell plate if it doesn't come with your press.

17. Primer pick up tubes, at least 2.

18. Several plastic ammo boxes to store your loaded rounds.

19. A reloading bench in a quiet place to spend many many hours.

20. A second job to afford all the above.

That should set you up!

Rob's list is a good one.

I would only change it up to delete the Hornady LNL AP and go straight to the Dillon 650. Trust me, been there, did it, got the t-shirt.

If you want to save some money go with a Dillon 550. Had I went Blue I'd have been money ahead.

Nothing wrong with starting on a single stage press. You will outgrow it if you stick with USPSA, but it will remain useful for jobs other than cranking out gobs of ammo.

Just so you know, that bit of grip enhancement above the triggerguard is not legal for production division.

Nothing wrong with starting on a single stage press. You will outgrow it if you stick with USPSA, but it will remain useful for jobs other than cranking out gobs of ammo.

Just so you know, that bit of grip enhancement above the triggerguard is not legal for production division.

Yeah... its will suffice and help me with just reloading minor loads. I don't plan to shoot USPSA anytime soon though and I'm just going to work on the XDM little by little. Thanks for the heads up though!

I started reloading with a Lee single stage for .38 special. Lasted about 6mo before I wanted to try USPSA and bought a 550. I'm about halfway through paying off the press with the savings over factory ammo at the moment (mostly loading 9mm too, so the savings is minimal).

I don't think you've wasted your money on the single stage by any means, they're useful to have around if you like experimenting or need to feed a rifle. However, I think you'll find it insufficient once you start competing.

I'd also like to caution you against waiting to have your gun perfect before you start competing. You'll quickly learn what works and what doesn't, and its much more economical to spend your money with this knowledge than before. Start shooting limited minor now and adding to the gun as you save/feel the need. You'll be a much better shot by the time you send it out to get a dot and comp.

i was loading on a single stage press with no problem. i would size and decap 1k brass. then bell 1k brass. prime 1k in my rcbs primeing tool. hand weigh powder in as many cases as i could(depending on how many blocks i had at the time). then seat and crimp. i was loading 1 to 2 k per month. now i use a lnl ap.

Edited by snake32

Sounds like you haven't decided if your a plinker or a shooter yet. If your just going try it and end up not being a shooter go with a single stage and have fun. If you still work all your free time will be spent reloading. If you get into shooting you will upgrade to a higher end reloader, more money so you can make 500 rds in a very short time 1 1/2 hrs. taking your time and still have time to practice. Being married time is important to share with the wife. The Dillion 550 is a great machine and the 650 is better and faster. Find someone and see if they will let you try theirs for a spin.

Forget the Lee. USPSA will require moocho ammo! Here is my list!

1. 2-3 reloading manuals

2. A case or 2 of Montana Gold bullets of your choice, 4 lb jug of Titegroup, 5000 pistol primers.

3. Hornady Lock N Load AP, Dillon 650 . Research in that order. Buy the one that fits your budget!

4. Redding Pro Dies where the seating and Taper crimp are separate (for 5 station presses Hornady AP or dillon 650).

5. Powder check die or Dillon powder check system.

6. EGW U die. A resizing/decapping die available at EGW gun works. Google "EGW gun" for the web site.

5. Digital Calipers.

6. Digital powder scale from Brian Enos.

7. Case gauge for your caliber.

8. Case tumbler and walnut or corn cob media.

9 "Hornady One Shot" spray can of case lube.

10. Several one gallon ziplock bags to store the range brass you pick up.

11. An old coffee can to put the screw up rounds in.

12. Bullet puller to recover your screw up round components.

13. Dillon primer flip tray. It is the best.

14. CED 2 Chronograph.

15. A good notebook.

16. The correct shell plate if it doesn't come with your press.

17. Primer pick up tubes, at least 2.

18. Several plastic ammo boxes to store your loaded rounds.

19. A reloading bench in a quiet place to spend many many hours.

20. A second job to afford all the above.

That should set you up!

i'm pdf'ing this for future reference - good list.

Rob acerman...I'm curious...why do you recommend the Dillon 650 and not the 1050?

I'm also looking to get a progressive reloader and maybe get a race gun as well and am having trouble deciding which one I should go with.

I've been reloading on a lyman turret press and it take me forever to load up a couple hundred rounds so I thought I'd visit the reloading questions in the beginner section before making my decision and found vash's posting.

I'm leaning towards the 1050 but I have seen people say if its your first progressive reloader you shouldn't get it but they offer no reason as to WHY you shouldn't get the 1050 and should purchase the 550 or 650 instead.

I've always been of the opinion that you should only spend a dollar ONCE and not get something knowing its not your final purchase and you're already thinking of replacing it somewhere down the road.

JK

I'm leaning towards the 1050 but I have seen people say if its your first progressive reloader you shouldn't get it but they offer no reason as to WHY you shouldn't get the 1050 and should purchase the 550 or 650 instead.

The 1050 is great. Go for it.

Rob acerman...I'm curious...why do you recommend the Dillon 650 and not the 1050?

I'm also looking to get a progressive reloader and maybe get a race gun as well and am having trouble deciding which one I should go with.

I've been reloading on a lyman turret press and it take me forever to load up a couple hundred rounds so I thought I'd visit the reloading questions in the beginner section before making my decision and found vash's posting.

I've always been of the opinion that you should only spend a dollar ONCE and not get something knowing its not your final purchase and you're already thinking of replacing it somewhere down the road.

JK

Dillon offers NO warranty with the 1050. The 650 with case feeder can put out enough ammo for a small army. I just loaded 800 rounds yesterday in 2+ hours ( I have no case feeder). It works for me. I can't justify spending more money on a 1050. I spent more on Bullets, Primers, and Powder!

if you are only wanting to load pistol and want to get started I would recommend looking at the

Dillion Square Deal "B"

I started with a 550 and only loading 45acp, ran across a SDB ready to go in 40s&w (used) for $250 a couple of years ago and got it.

It is easy to set up, easy to load on, is full progressive and doesn't come near breaking the bank.

You will hear alot of people say you can only use Dillon dies, you can't get a casefeeder.....

Oh well, I am loading 400+ rounds per hour, I case guage the 40 rounds (all range brass) and may get 2-3 out of 200 that don't fit the gauge.

I don't reload for rifle and have honestly thought about selling the 550 and getting 2 more SDB's one in 9mm and one in 45acp.

if you are only wanting to load pistol and want to get started I would recommend looking at the

Dillion Square Deal "B"

I started with a 550 and only loading 45acp, ran across a SDB ready to go in 40s&w (used) for $250 a couple of years ago and got it.

It is easy to set up, easy to load on, is full progressive and doesn't come near breaking the bank.

You will hear alot of people say you can only use Dillon dies, you can't get a casefeeder.....

Oh well, I am loading 400+ rounds per hour, I case guage the 40 rounds (all range brass) and may get 2-3 out of 200 that don't fit the gauge.

I don't reload for rifle and have honestly thought about selling the 550 and getting 2 more SDB's one in 9mm and one in 45acp.

+1 for the Dillon square Deal B. I just like a 5 station press. Just my opinion. I Just think it is easier for "new" reloaders to problem solve with and I like the increased work space between the dies and shell plate.

Thanks Rob...I'm looking to get some volume out of my progressive press.

The turret press is great and DOES teach new reloaders to be careful but takes me forever to load just a couple boxes of ammo.

I've reloaded a couple thousand rounds on it (.45) and although I enjoy doing it and think its fun it eats up a lot of my free time.

I'm going to start shooting open soon and want to be able to load quickly so I can get in the practice I'll need.

My plan is to eventually use my Lyman turret press for my .308 rifles, To obtain another progressive press (probably another Dillon) to load for my and my son's .45s , and to use the 1050 to load for the open .38 Supercomp.

This way I'm not changing stuff once its set up and can just sit down when I have the time and crank out some rounds to practice with depending on what I'm going to be shooting.

JK