Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

drawing from holster

I want to work on my draw and was wondering should I start with drawing the weapon from an exposed holster till I get the motions smoothed out or go right for drawing from concealment? I shoot idpa and carry daily so obviously drawing from concealment is important but I wasn't sure if learing to draw fast and smooth first then adding concealment would be better.

I disagree with Roy here. I think it is better to practice without the concealment to start with. I would start slow and build the muscle memory. As the motions become more automatic to where you do not need to think about what you are doing, you just do it, I would then add the cover garment. This way you are just adding an additional step of sweeping the cover garment out of the way.

I have not shot IDPA for several years but when I did I had about 10 different cover garments. They were all whatever garment I was wearing that day already so all I needed to change was how I swept it out of the way. All other movements were the same.

Edited by Poppa Bear

Well I disagree with poppa bear, what is the point of developing muscle memory for something you are not gonna do ? SO you spend all the time practicing something you will have to unlearn. Put your cover on and get technique down. Train the way you are gonna use it.

I'll split the difference: Start without cover, with the hand already on the gun. Once you've got the draw down, add cover, and work on getting the hand on the gun. Then finally put it all together....

Then start over with a different garment....