Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Daily Carry Belt?

doc540

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the Looper Leather gun belts. They are good to go.

When I first got my Looper Leather belts, one black and one brown, I was the biggest Looper fanboy ever. They looked good and were $50 a piece; how could I lose? Then after a few months the black one, which I wore almost every day (I wear black shoes more often) looked seriously worn and scratched up. IMO it's now unacceptable for wearing to work or going out, but I still use it for IDPA/USPSA because it's still stiff enough to hold my gear and I no longer care if it gets beat up.

Now I have a Beltman belt. It cost almost twice as much but it hasn't even shown a scratch yet, and it just all-around looks better. Buy cheap, buy twice. To be fair to Looper, the brown one still looks great.

Ditto for Beltman belts, easy to order and the turnaround isn't as long as he advertises. (Guess that depends more on workload.) The belt measuring was easy and I ordered it without the stiffener, for daily or dress use it is perfect. By adding a stiffener I don't think it would have fit through some of my pants belt loops. The belt goes well with my horsehide Milt Spark VMII holsters, and carries a 5" 1911 and a Glock 34 without issues. I did buy some leather conditioner from Jim when I placed the order, which I use for other leather such as motorcycle gloves and gear. About the only issue that I have had with the belt was the chicago screws loosening which was solved with blue Loc-Tite and are still tight today...

I do believe my next belt will be a Comptac though as I "sometimes" forget that I am wearing a fancy belt when getting under a car to do mechanic work or just to look at something under a vehicle. (Comptac is cheaper to replace)

I have several from thebeltman.net They've worked well over the years I've been wearing them.

I agree. Compared to the Milt Sparks I have, the Beltman belt is much more belt and they seem to last longer without deforming.

I have had a Beltman belt, and it was fantastic quality, reasonably priced, and quick turnaround.

But if you have a police supply store locally, drop by to see what they have. My local shop carries Bianchi, 5.11, and Gould & Goodrich in dress belts. I've been wearing a G&G for the past year, and I really like it. It was (IIRC) about $45, and has performed very well for me with my Sparks rig.

I have 8+ years on my Aker B21 belt. It looks nice and very sturdy with the poly insert. I wear it with jeans, shorts, or business casual, even when I'm not carrying. I will definitely buy another when this wears out, which won't be long (the plating is wearing off, leather is still fine).

I bought one from Dillon I have been happy with.

I've got a Dillon belt that I used for several years. It's very stiff, which is good. However, it's 2-ply leather, which is twice as thick as a "regular" belt. Which is too thick for some things, like cell phone clips, or even some clip-on type holsters.

So who makes a good, stiff holster that isn't overly thick?

• 2 weeks later...

I wear an Aker B22 daily. It's 1.25", so it fits well in my suit pants (1.5" tends to be a tight squeeze through the belt loops) and doesn't look like a gun belt. It has a polymer insert and is very stiff. Relatively cheap at $50.

However, the outer finish quickly wore out wherever my gear rides, leaving roughed out leather. For this reason I can't recommend it and will be replacing it with something else.