Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More senseless gun legislation

TheOtherErik

East Bay residents can buy shotguns at the Martinez Gun Club, which is in an unincorporated area. Pro shop owner Joe Calim said he supports the ordinance because .50-caliber weapons are too dangerous to be readily available.

DUMBER

East Bay residents can buy shotguns at the Martinez Gun Club, which is in an unincorporated area. Pro shop owner Joe Calim said he supports the ordinance because .50-caliber weapons are too dangerous to be readily available.

DUMBER

yea really....who's side is he on anyway

``This has all the appearance of a very costly political gesture.''

:D

What gesture would that be? Masturbation?

I seriously think that these gents need to see a psychologist. According to Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

There is one on the (distant) horizon:

The fully functional Short Land Service, barrel length 42 inches in .75 caliber, smoothbore design, and weight about 10 lbs. Ammunition comes in the form of rolled paper cartridges containing six or eight drams of powder, and a one ounce lead ball.

This particularly onerous weapon will enable the terrorist shooter to virtually escape detection owing to the lack of a brass case which can be traced back to the original purchaser of the weapon, and, since it is smoothbore there will be little if any traceable ballistic information even if the soft lead projectile is recovered intact.

And of course it is only designed for killing people as evidenced by the following:

"Oh, powder and patches was always my dress,

And I think I am killing enough," said Brown Bess.

;)

That actually would be interesting: create a non-existent gun and see if you can get it banned.

Erik,

They already renewed the "plastic pistol" law, banning guns that can't be detected by metal detectors...you know, guns that don't exist.

"...ban the sale of a rifle they say can penetrate a refinery storage tank and ignite the toxic contents."

Right. Punch a 1/2" hole in a huge tank of fuel, and watch it slowly leak out. I'd be much more worried about a Ryder truck full of fertilizer if I were them.

DD

Right. Punch a 1/2" hole in a huge tank of fuel, and watch it slowly leak out. I'd be much more worried about a Ryder truck full of fertilizer if I were them.

You're attempting to apply rationality to an irrational process performed by irrational people.

:angry:

Right.  Punch a 1/2" hole in a huge tank of fuel, and watch it slowly leak out.  I'd be much more worried about a Ryder truck full of fertilizer if I were them.

You're attempting to apply rationality to an irrational process performed by irrational people.

:angry:

The ban is completly rational if you assume that the sponsors understand exactly how irrelevant the ban is, but recognize the value of a strategy of taking any gun control territory they can. Once they get the gov't in the habit of banning the most powerful guns available, they just keep moving down the line until airsoft is all that is left. OZ is a bit ahead of us - they've reached a 9mm bore limit - except for authorized sports (ie, cowboy shooting). IPSC was not granted authorization as an approved reason to own > 9mm handguns in Australia, despite our newer and friendlier target.

Australia has banned anything bigger than 9.65mm (ISSF rules for Centrefire Pistol), IPSC was specifically targeted "as something that is clearly training for combat". They also took away anything with a barrel length of less than 125mm (5") in Auto's and I think 4" in revolver. There was even rumour of comped guns being included in the ban as the comp could be a "flash hider".

IPSC is in a fairly poor condition in Australia, every one is running around trying to find 10round mags. They did not Grandfather the big mags, they outright banned them. :angry:

If I want to travel to Australia, I have to take 10 rounds mags only. My Para NRA AP gun is not allowed in, unless I do.

Just remeber that only a few years ago they killed off all semi-auto long-guns, including 22lr and the Browning A5 12G, the fine Military Tactical Weapon that it is. Guys were having to hand in mint as new, Pre WW2 original Belgium A5's to be crushed.

So doing it to handguns was easy. So beware that you Politicians don't get any good ideas :ph34r: