Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 loaded with TAC pressure signs

GentlemanJim

Its the last minute...so I am loading 223 for the next two multigun matches

I am loading 23.5 grains of TAC under Hornady 75gr BTHP match CCI sr primers, flatter than twiggys chest :blink:

The max load is 24.1, with a starting load of 21.7

I used this load all last year with no high pressure signs...but it is a new lot of powder

Any body see this same issue??

Thanks

Jim

I am loading 23.5 grains of TAC under Hornady 75gr BTHP match CCI sr primers, flatter than twiggys chest :blink:

I used this load all last year with no high pressure signs...but it is a new lot of powder

Thanks

Jim

Same rifle???????

I went from a 16inch barrel to a 20inch,, and with the 20,, the same load,, was flattening, the primers,,,,

Hey boss,

When testing TAC I went as high as 25.5gr under a Hornady 75grBTHP. I settled on 25 but I never saw flat primers. Used both Win SR and Wolf primers.

How does the velocity look? did you see a commensurate jump for the powder charge as well?

Hey boss,

When testing TAC I went as high as 25.5gr under a Hornady 75grBTHP. I settled on 25 but I never saw flat primers. Used both Win SR and Wolf primers.

How does the velocity look? did you see a commensurate jump for the powder charge as well?

See post...RIP chronograph :(

I will try some WIN primers tomorrow

Jim

Hey boss,

See post...RIP chronograph :(

I will try some WIN primers tomorrow

Jim

Same brass prep and tooling settings? Flat primers can be caused by sloppy headspace as well, the pressure may be okay but the primer gets flattened as it gets backed out of the primer pocket on firing then re-seated by the case getting slammed back against the bolt face.

I trim to 1.757 and size to the min step in the case gauge, seat COAL to 2.250

We have shot thousands of these loads with no problems

This is a new issue, and its freaking me out

It is a new lot of powder and primers

I striped the internal parts from 4 chrono pickups and duct taped the remaining parts back together :roflol:

Will see if it works here in a while, at least I can compare with old data

Jim

Got the chrono limping along <_<

Switched to win primers...no other changes

Picked up avg of 39fps to 2650 fps from 2610. last years load was about 2675

No pressure signs with the win primers

This thing is just extra strange, and makes no sence at all, its going to make me crazy--R

Jim

• 7 months later...

Might also want to try some CCI41 primers. I had the same thing happening with CCI400 running my normal load of 23.5 behind a 77smk and switched to the #41s and haven't had a problem since.

This has been my experience with CCI 400s and 41s. It seems that 400s flatten if you look at them sternly.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks

Jim

Twiggys chest? You sir are showing your age :)

I had a mild load get flat primers too. I tracked it back to my crimps being WAAAAYYYY too firm. Check your crimp die?