Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

taming the mighty 9mm recoil

steviesterno

Hi all,

so I'm trying to get my GF into shooting, and she loves to play with the 22lr open gun I built for local steel. However, it seems that she is very recoil sensitive, and the M&P 4" I have with a 24 round mag is just too sharp for her.

I'm trying to think of ways to cut the recoil down and still be legal for a division of USPSA or local matches so I can use it, too. Trouble is, I don't load. I also don't want to spend so much money chasing parts that I would be better off with just buying a 2011 in 9mm (which I would be fine with!)

I was thinking heavy guide rod of some sort, and a brass magwell. It seems this would cut down on felt recoil, too. Could I put lead weight in the front of the gun other than in the guiderod, or is that a no-no?

Also, where is the best place to get these parts or others to accomplish a similar thing?

Thanks for the help,

Steve

You could try buying some ammo from Atlanta Arms, they load minor PF 9mm ammo. If you are getting her involved and your involved yourself with various shootin sports, I'd seriously look into gettting set up to reload yourself. It'll save you bigtime in the long run.

If your going to shoot a lot of USPSA, you really need to invest in reloading. You will save a lot of money and can reduce the recoil somewhat by developing minor power factor loads. 147gn bullets with a fast powder is a lot softer than 115 store bought ammo.

Atlanta Arms does sell minor PF ammo, but I have seen quite a few people fail the chono station and end up shooting for fun, going sub-minor is not really fun!

she loves to play with the 22lr open gun However, it seems that she is very recoil sensitive, and the M&P 4" I have with a 24 round mag is just too sharp for her.

I'm trying to think of ways to cut the recoil down and still be legal for a division of USPSA or local matches so I can use it, too. Thanks for the help,

Steve

Two thoughts: 1. try 147 grain bullets (much softer recoil) - you'll probably have to reload them

2. once you're reloading, load up some 115 gr bullets at 850 fps or so (just enough to make the gun work) - let her

get use to the extra noise/recoil slowly

3. try her shooting outdoors rather than indoors (I hate shooting indoors - seems like too much noise/recoil for me)

for some reason, shooting in the great outdoors removes some of the perception of noise/recoil for me

Going from a .22 to a 9mm can be intimidating, unless you get some intermediary steps in there.

Good luck, Jack

yeah we were shooting indoors and I totally forgot the double ear plug things... oh well, next time.

It seems like everybody is saying I should roll my own, but idk if I have the time or desire. I'm currently working 5 some odd jobs, so I'm hesitant to dive in.

I know it would be great, and I can get cheap brass... crap I think I'm talking myself into it...

In the mean time, I was thinking about a heavy guide rod and a scope mount to the bottom rail. she likes the dot sight and I have a few extra cheap ones sitting around, so that might help control muzzle flip, right ?

Steve

RWS 124gr ammo. It's off the shelf ammo that feels like 128PF. Not a lead bullet either. If you can't find that, Ultramax lead ball is very very soft too.

Then swap the recoil spring to a 13. Lighter spring makes it jump less. It will calm it down.

Have introduced CF pistols to many new lady shooters but never attempted it at an indoor range. If there is any way possible to work with her at an outdoor range that (plus double ear protection), would make a huge difference IMO.

My wife enjoys casual shooting and is a pretty good shot, but has vowed never to go back to an indoor range. I understand that may not be possible or easy for everyone but if you are spending the effort and $$ for the guns and ammo it is worth it to find an outdoor range, join a local club, drive further, etc.

The faster and lighter the bullet the "snappier" it tends to be in recoil. Bullets like a 9mm 147 grain running at lower velocities don't have as much muzzle rise and tend to be more of a "push" straight back into the palm of the hand. With a 147 gr you only have to hit 884 fps to make a minor power factor of 130 (minimum pf is 125). Learn to reload and save some money in the process. Indoors I wear ear plugs and headphone style ear protection. Outdoors usually only one or the other.

Edited by wmspdi

Last Saturday I watched a young lady shoot a 45 single stack gun. Watching her it became obvious that she was very intimidated by the gun. You could see her closing her eyes etc. I told her that it was perfectly natural for her body to react to firing the gun by closing her eyes and her brain shutting down momentairly. I suggested that she use plugs and muffs to cut the sound down. Her squad moved on later we had to wait on them and I noticed she was doing much better, had the plugs and muffs on.

There is not a lot that can be done on recoil without loading better on even mouse fart loads. I think its imporatant to understand that your body will react to the violence of shooting the gun and that after about 20K rounds you won't even notice. Recoil happens the gun goes up and with a good grip it comes right back down to where it was, just track the sights when they come back down break the next shot.

I know several couples that shoot but not in the same squad there is a good reason for that. Be sure to only give encouragement, and always recognize when they do something good. Heck when my wife was shooting I would slow down a bit and let her beat me on a stage here and there, and after a while I didn't have to slow down. She works weekends now so we don't get to shoot.

Good luck and remember its all about having fun, let her take it at her own pace don't push.

Edited by CocoBolo

Steve, one other thought - it can be helped

with better stance/grip - if she's used to

shooting a .22, you don't need either to be

very good - a more supportive stance and

grip could help a little, also.

At some point, with double muffs outside,

try her on a mag of +P+ loads- then the

softer loads will feel like mousefarts.

Jack