Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGM Iron Man

I need to start saving my $ for the 2012 ironman now. He'll I gotta get a precision rifle too!

We could most likely loan you one....(I'm sure we will go again in 2012), you are welcome to use one of ours. We build custom rifles and precision bolt guns are what we specialize in. I'm sure there will be 3 or 4 of them with us as usuall.

Edited by RBros

• 1 month later...

Any one get the round count yet? Just checked the web page and nada listed. + an additional question..... How many shotgun ammo carriers (ie arm bands or caddies) should a fella have on his belt? and would you recommend single mags with reloads on the belt or harness, or a double mag cinch? Thanks again.... it's just around the corner and I'm getting PUMPED. Course it could also be due to the news lately.....biggrin.gif

Last I heard was a tentative round count of 300 pistol, 300 rifle, 300 SG and 125 slug. I talked to Travis about a week ago and he only had two stages done though so it might change a bit.

I would bring a double mag or two for the rifle and a single or three as well. My normal three gun loadout for rifle mags is, two double clamped AR mag sets, one with Arredondo bases, the other without, 4 single 30 round mags, 2 20 round AR mags and a 60 round P-Mag from CA Comp works. Worked for me last year.

For SG , that's a bit dependant on your shotgun capacity and any carriers on the gun. I normally like to have the capability to run about 50 rounds on my person. That's 9 in the gun, 9 in a side-saddle, 4 on the off side in front of the loading port and 7 four round belt loaders. If you don't have that capability it's not a big deal. The Ironman lets you stage ammo if needed.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, Newbie here, 3 gun also requires a precision rifle? Will my Rem 700 vls in 308, with 4 to 16 x50 scope work?

With Stage 3 being the only one with really long range targets (550,770 & 900) and they are all bonus only targets, so you don't really need to lug along a separate rifle just for those three targets. Take some of the hottest 77 grain rounds you can find in .223 and know the dope on your rifle for that round, and take a shot at them. No use wasting much time on them if you can't hit them in one or two shots. Very important,..... Have someone to spot and call wind for you too. If you have an AR-10 you can take, and just use it on that one stage if you really want a chance at hitting at 770 and 900. A .223 round really starts to fizzle past 600 yards if you have much wind to deal with. Again, if you want to travel light, just take a box of 77 grain .223 rounds and take a chance with them way out yonder targets. I can hit them with my .308 AR-10 but I'm able to practice extensively with it at 1,000 yards, so it's not to hard for me with that rifle. For no more than you'll gain if you hit those targets, it's best to just try a few shots with some 77 grainers and keep moving and finish out the rest of the match and forget those bonus only targets. They can only help if you hit them in a reasonable amount of time. B)

I am just bringing my Elk gun for the long ramge bonus stuff. I have good dope out to 500 yards, so getting on target after a round or two should not be impossible. It is just a Browning BAR Safari in 300 win mag, but should work ok. The only issue with it is the $2 per round cost of ammo.

I am just bringing my Elk gun for the long ramge bonus stuff. I have good dope out to 500 yards, so getting on target after a round or two should not be impossible. It is just a Browning BAR Safari in 300 win mag, but should work ok. The only issue with it is the $2 per round cost of ammo.

So can you use both the carbine and the LR set-up on Stage 3 or just one?

You use both. People without a precision rifle just engage the bonuses with their normal rifles. I've gotten hits at 500 and 600 with my AR before.

Unless you're really good with a precision rifle and you're going to bang out all the bonuses fast, its really not worth fixating on those few targets vs the time it takes to actually hit them. Bang out the required minimum rounds giving it an honest try and move on.

People have discussed for Trooper division bringing a semi auto 7.62 precision rifle and using them for all the long range stages in trooper, and using either a 5.56mm carbine or subgun for the rifle targets on the close range stages. As of yet no one has actually done it.

The carbine for the normal course of fire and the LR for the bonus targets, so I understand it. You can use the carbine for the long shots if you want, but my understanding is most us a LR gun.

No, actually only a few bring their long range guns, specifically for the long range targets. Travis uses really big targets way out there too, to help with actually hitting them. If you're gonna bring a big gun for Stage 3, just use it there, then put it away for the rest of the match and use your M4 for the rest of the match. Another way to do it, if you're really fixated on the long range stuff like me, is to shoot Heavy Optics the whole match, then you've got your long range gun the whole time. And .308 ammo prices are coming down along with .223 ammo too, so you can keep your ammo cost reasonable. Plus you know when you hit them steel targets too with the .308. No guessing there. It really slaps them. You can even here the "pop" on the 900 yard target when it hits. Stage 3 is the only really long range stage. The rest of them are chip shots compared to stage 3. The main thing is to have fun. :goof:

Send me your bullet weight and type (HPBT, etc.) and muzzle velocity, and I'll work you up a chart for your .300 win mag. It programs a 10MPH full value wind in with it out to 1,000 yards. It works too, cause I use it for my .308 gas gun out to 1,000 yards and it'll keep 'em in the 10 ring and an occasional X most of the time. Heavy bullets and high muzzle velocity is your friend on the long range shots.

You use both. People without a precision rifle just engage the bonuses with their normal rifles. I've gotten hits at 500 and 600 with my AR before.

Unless you're really good with a precision rifle and you're going to bang out all the bonuses fast, its really not worth fixating on those few targets vs the time it takes to actually hit them. Bang out the required minimum rounds giving it an honest try and move on.

People have discussed for Trooper division bringing a semi auto 7.62 precision rifle and using them for all the long range stages in trooper, and using either a 5.56mm carbine or subgun for the rifle targets on the close range stages. As of yet no one has actually done it.

Next year I am going to shoot trooper again and was thinking along these lines. Heavy optics rifle, pistol caliber carbine, open pistol, a pair of shotguns. But then limited is so much fun, and what if Travis opens up an old school heavy metal division? So much shooting fun, too bad this match is only held once a year.

• 9 months later...

Well I got into the 2012 match. I signed up on a whim and after reading here and watching videos I'm wondering just what the heck I've gotten myself into. I know that a single match with a higher round count than pretty much the entire rest of my shooting season combined has just got to be a ton of fun. We'll see if I survive it.

Any round count based load out advice for this year's match?

Any advice on where to find cheap 77gr .223 ammo?

Yee. Haw.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that bringing 3 times the posted round count works.(it will be possed soon)

reshoots are rare. . it's just that if you do have to reshoot a stage it's a lot of ammo.

in the past years I've brought 500 pistol, 600 rifle, 400 bird shot and 150 slugs and 50 00buck (magnums)

it's very rare that some one runs out of pistol or rifle ammo during a stage . . . . but shotgun !!!!! you had better have a way to carry a minimum of 30+ rounds on you. . . or have your friends jog behind you gently tossing you ammo. REMEMBER Ironman lets you stage ammo as nessesary down range.