Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGM Iron Man

It was on my list of matches to shoot before I am old and decrepit. And lo and behold I got in this year, so I need some help / suggestions for my load out. I have my personal belt / kit squared away but I'm looking for a Minimum (I'll go over the minimum by 20%) list of things to bring. Example: How much ammo of each kind (rifle, pistol, birdshot, slugs) should I bring. How many mags and can I preload them? Comfort items like camp chairs or is the time spent taping / setting steel?

Any suggestions from those of you who have been there, done that would be greatly appreciated. I'm not new to shooting matches, but I am a complete noob to shooting a match of this scale.

I'm not shooting Trooper (this year) and I'm building my 3 G cart from the wife's old jogging stroller in a couple of weeks so I have a little room for extras that you can suggest.

Thanks for the help.

Yes on the chair. You'll spend a lot of time taping and setting but there is also a lot of down time between stages. And some competitors runs will be 6 minutes of shooting as well so there's even time between shooters. Prepare for just about anything weather wise. I've been there with snow and ice, hail, thunder and lightning, high winds to really nice and warm.

As far as ammo, that will have to wait a bit until the ammo counts come out. If you're not shooting trooper, bring way more than you think you'll need. Some of the rifle counts are deceiving. Say, 300 rifle, but many will be at 100+ yards and may require more than one round to hit. Rifle is probably the one you'll need to bring the most over the posted amount of. Pistol not too bad and same with Shotgun. Some of the slug hits are pretty tough though so bring a good amount of extra slugs.

You'll need to have a sling on something I'm sure, either shotgun, rifle or both. I normally just bring 1" webbing and jury rig something when I see the stage.

Don't worry too much about carrying all the ammo, you can normally stage ammo on the course if needed.

Search on Matt Burkett MGM Iron Man. He has several blogs and lessons learned articles posted in a variety of places that are very helpful.

I too am going to my first MGM this year. Matt has been harassing me to go for like 5 years. I've been asking him a lot of questions to get ready. This is his typical ammo load-out:

800 Rifle (400 75's, 400 55's)

100 Precision Rifle

250 7 1/2, 350 6 Birdshot

150 Slugs

100 Buckshot

1000 pistol

There's usually a stage, where you can use another rifle for bonus targets that get out there a ways - it differs a little every match. you can stage a separate rifle for those targets. I think 550 is usually the closest of these targets..

ETA - you can use your normal rifle and try to hit them, or just engage them and not take the time.. again, exactly how it works differs match to match

Edited by D.Hayden

Precision rifle? Is there a bolt gun stage?

Matt told me the precision rifle runs from 450 to just under 1000. 20 to 30 rounds. His recomendation was to take a bolt gun and get the hits, if you have one. If not, use the 77s in the AR.

Search on Matt Burkett MGM Iron Man. He has several blogs and lessons learned articles posted in a variety of places that are very helpful.

I too am going to my first MGM this year. Matt has been harassing me to go for like 5 years. I've been asking him a lot of questions to get ready. This is his typical ammo load-out:

800 Rifle (400 75's, 400 55's)

100 Precision Rifle

250 7 1/2, 350 6 Birdshot

150 Slugs

100 Buckshot

1000 pistol

Thank you for posting this so...explicitly? Damn that's a ton of ammo! This will be my first MGM Ironman and I want to be sure I don't run out of BBs. Loading it all sure will be a PITA, but shooting that much will be fun as hell. I am PUMPED!

Sweet, I'm thinking we can come up with a little something to use for the precision rifle B) Thanks for the information!

I'm planning on a compromise gun: My FNAR 20" heavy barrel with a Leupold LR/T 4.5-14. My local range goes out to 500yds and I can hit a 6" plate about 75% of the time with this setup. As I recall from stage design last year, the 950yd target was about 20" x 40" or about 2 MOA x 4 MOA. As long as the accuracy holds, the semi-auto cycling and 20 round mags of the FNAR should help me do okay on the stage.

OR...it's windy as hell and I'm screwed.

What setups are other folks planning on using?

I'm planning on a compromise gun: My FNAR 20" heavy barrel with a Leupold LR/T 4.5-14. My local range goes out to 500yds and I can hit a 6" plate about 75% of the time with this setup. As I recall from stage design last year, the 950yd target was about 20" x 40" or about 2 MOA x 4 MOA. As long as the accuracy holds, the semi-auto cycling and 20 round mags of the FNAR should help me do okay on the stage.

OR...it's windy as hell and I'm screwed.

What setups are other folks planning on using?

I am "planning" on running my lightweight 16" AR and an AR-10 in .260, but that might change.

That load out is a tad much for the current version of this match.

As far as equipment, I think it is essential that you have electric ear pro. There's a lot more RO to shooter interaction in the Ironman than there is with other 3G matches.

So what would you recommend then?

I would plan on having the amount of ammo Matt suggests available. The round count will be published a month or two before the match and you can decide what to take them. Normal match I normally go 50% over the required amounts. I would ease that down a bit on the SG, but up on the rifle, especially the LR ammo. There are a lot of shots past 100 yards at this match. Plan on missing several. It's a bit different shooting on a rifle range and hitting a 1/2 MOA group than trying to hit a 4 MOA targets after running 100 yards, sliding down a slide, going down a zipline or scurrying through a Cooper Tunnel.

Bottom line. Hang tight until the round count comes out, then ask again. I'm hoping to shoot both so you can imagine the weight my trucks gonna be hauling.

Here is my load out from last year, I shot trooper and was lucky not to need a reshoot because I was down to my last 5 slugs. I used only one kind of rifle ammo and did not carry a bolt gun.

450. Rifle

450. Pistol

350. Shot

80. Slugs

30. Buck

That was last year, the year before was similar, this year might be wildly different. Your milage may vary. If you are not shooting trooper then I would double whatever Travis says is the minimum. Just because you can neutralize paper with one hit, most people use two, or more. And it may take more than 1 hit to spin the double spinners. Good luck!

That's more like it. Personally I have already set aside:

600 Rifle Carbine: 400 75's; 200 55's

50 LR Rifle: 105 AMAX .243

500 Pistol: 40 S&W (400 minor (~145PF) 165's; 100 major+ 200 grain)

400 Shot: Walmart 7.5/8's

100 Slugs: Remington Low Recoil

100 Buck: 40 Fiocchi 00; 40 Flitecontrol 00; 20 Military Buck 00

That's more like it. Personally I have already set aside:

600 Rifle Carbine: 400 75's; 200 55's

50 LR Rifle: 105 AMAX .243

500 Pistol: 40 S&W (400 minor (~145PF) 165's; 100 major+ 200 grain)

400 Shot: Walmart 7.5/8's

100 Slugs: Remington Low Recoil

100 Buck: 40 Fiocchi 00; 40 Flitecontrol 00; 20 Military Buck 00

Could you please let me know why the multiple versions of pistol and buck?

I can figure out the reason for the different AR loads but not the others.

I will be attending my first 3gun match later this year and would like to see if this strategy would help me out.

Thanks

oh, and I'm assuming you have a youtube channel with the same username as here.

love the vids there.

I don't do different pistol or buck loads with other matches. MGM Iron Man is unique in that they EXTENSIVELY :P use MGM spinners and plate racks.

For pistol the heavy loads are specifically for the MGM spinners. The minor loads are for everything else.

For the different buckshot loads...

The Fiocchi are relatively light kicking and have a tight pattern (out of my gun)... they are for far or heavy set plate racks.

The Military buck kicks hardest and the patterns aren't as tight as the other two... they are for close spinners.

The Flitecontrol buck kicks harder than the Fiocchi, are more $$$, and have the tightest pattern... they are for farther spinners (10-15+ yards) and secondly for far or heavy set plate racks.