Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Install Tip for Hogue Type Grip Sleeve

I just bought a Hogue grip sleeve for my Ruger 22/45 as that pistol has a famously thin set of grips. Midway.com - $7.99. I was concerned about getting it on as several people in the reviews said it was a pain in the butt to do so.

My friend came up with an idea that is perfect. Ronson lighter fluid (for lighters, not BBQ's). Squirt liberally on the inside of the rubber grip. Slip on. Let dry. Total install time - 3.27 seconds. [About as fast as my split times. :-)]

I am guessing this will work for any brand rubber sleeve.

Thanks for the Forum, BE. It is awesome.

while not as fast as 3 seconds, back inthe dayto put one on my gen1 glock i dropped one in a cup of water and heated it up in the microwave tillthe water was just under boiling, pull it out, shake offthe excess water and slide into place, it shrinks up nice as it cools down, been in place for 15 yrs??? now

I just ordered a set of "overgrips" for my 22/45 hunter from a guy in Indiana.

These fit over the existing grips and can either be secured with 1911 grips screws or sticky taped on.

I can then remove the Hogue sleeve.

Dave

Doesn't the lighter fluid degrade the rubber in the grip sleeve? How did you properly clean the excess fluid out? I'm pretty sure you would want to avoid all "en-LIGHT-ening" encounters between muzzle flash and lighter fluid.

• 6 months later...