Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

From BAD to WORSE!

JayTray

Gotta pick the brains of the forumn!

I can go to the range and punch holes in a target and keep consistent grouping and all is good. 2"-3" groups

But, in a practical shooting situation(USPSA/IDPA) I.... well suck! Ive participated in 3 matches so far. Oddly enough the first one was the best of the 3. I think maybe I am "over confident" and shooting too fast for my skill level?

I try to slow down and actually AIM each shot. BUt that seems to go out the window after the BEEP.

Basically, my second shot is the mystery shot. I have no clue where it goes. The range that I practice at has a awesome "2 mississippi" rule between shots. I can only assume that accurate double taps comes from practice but I may be wrong.

Who else has had this problem? Or is this just part of the learning curve? Any practice techniques recommended for tracking sights between shots? Regaining sight picture quickly? Controlling recoil?

Id like to break the bad habits I already have before they are permanent. :wacko:

Any and all advice is appreciated.

JT

You have BBFS (Beeper brain fade syndrome) It strikes almost all of us at certain points in our shooting life. It is driven by being attached to performing to a standard we think we should be at. Symptoms are shooting way faster than we are capable of with any reasonable degree of accuracy, forgetting target sequences, running completely past ports, forgetting reloads... the list goes on.

Two tips. Tell yourself that the sound of the buzzer just means start shooting, nothing more. It just means begin. The second is don't think fast or slow. Pull the trigger ONLY when you see what you need to see on every shot. My wife put it most succinctly when she told me one day after my own bout with this syndrome that there should be no such thing as a mystery mike if I am calling shots. (She is right on a lot of stuff dang it!)

Edited by Neomet

running completely past ports, forgetting reloads... the list goes on.

Thats amazing! Were you THERE!!?? I actually ran around the wrong side of a barrier for the next array! I tried to claim AMBUSH technique, nobody bought it! :surprise:

Thanks for the input. Im glad I am not alone. Prior to the COF I actually told shooting buddy... This time Im going SLOW. The RO is gonna need a Calendar for me on this one. Pavlovs dog!! Beep!! RUSH=MISS and mental errors AKA BRAIN FARTS.

Definately do more walk throughs and even dry runs (holstered of course). Get it so you can close your eyes and envision it. Slow and smooth. Find a Master class shooter, this is a friendly sport, and ask him to walk through with you...

As stated before, your not really doing "double taps" but two aimed shots. Obviously, you can shoot groups. Try this. Set your target up at 10 yards or so, have a timer. At the buzzer, draw (taking your time, 1/2 speed or so your are burning perfect technique into your brain), aim, prep trigger, aim and break your shot keeping the trigger pinned as you track the sights through recoil until your sights are seettled and back on target, then prep trigger and break your second shot. Two aimed shots. Remember to focus on the front sight. You want it clearly focused and perfectly aligned. As your shots become more accurate, speed up. I will do this striving to put all shots in a 4" circle. Do this about a bazillion times, and when the buzzer goes off the next time, hopefully your training will take over. Just remember (and I have this told to me all the time) it takes time and patience.

Good Luck,

Gene

How far from the target are you when you settle for a 2-3 inch group? When you are shooting groups is it your goal to get a group that size or do you decide its ok after the fact? Are you aiming at a dot on a target or do you just shoot a bunch of holes in cardboard target?

When a new shooter gets to a match they watch the rest of their squad shoot the stage. Even if they say o wow I can never be that fast they try to copy what they see. One of the big things is we do everything fast. We run fast we shoot fast etc. The new guy dose not know what it takes to make those quick shots or get through the stage smoothly so they guess at what we are doing and try to go faster then they should.

Neomet told you You need to see what you need to see to make the shot. It sounds strange the longer you shoot the clearer this will be. What you need to see is not the same for everyone or every shot. The way I start someone off on learning what they need to see is like this. I take 4 black pasters and stick the in a 2x2 square. I put the target at 3-5 yards depending on the shooters skill level and I have then shoot a group keeping all of their shoots in the pasters. I like to use five rounds. I tell the shooter to keep the gun on target for the whole 5 shots. I explain their attention is on the front sight for the whole process watch the sight lift and return when they see the sight return to the rear notch the gun should be on target ready to fire. I let them work at their own pace making and corrections to their basic firearms skills until they are firing at a good rate. They are seeing what they need to see. Then I move them back and start over.

I hope this helps you out

I tell new shooters that others really aren't shooting faster they are SEEING Faster.

I was shooting indoor matches in Baton Rouge and could not understand why my second shot was not on the paper. You can not pull the trigger fast enough to get it on the paper; too much stuff is involved, recoil, muzzle flip, settling of the sights, sight picture. I shot faster when I actually saw my sights for each shots. The Timer does not lie.

There are some guys here that always say shoot slow run fast. Makes sense.

When you are finished shooting one array, turn look to see where you need to run then run to that spot only. Do not start running just to move fast, start running when you know where you are going. TGO is famous for running to only where he needs to go, not one step farther. If you have four shooting spots/areas, pick the stopping point at each spot, run to that spot then set up to shot. This will get you in the habit of not running past targets.

How far from the target are you when you settle for a 2-3 inch group? When you are shooting groups is it your goal to get a group that size or do you decide its ok after the fact? Are you aiming at a dot on a target or do you just shoot a bunch of holes in cardboard target?

When a new shooter gets to a match they watch the rest of their squad shoot the stage. Even if they say o wow I can never be that fast they try to copy what they see. One of the big things is we do everything fast. We run fast we shoot fast etc. The new guy dose not know what it takes to make those quick shots or get through the stage smoothly so they guess at what we are doing and try to go faster then they should.

Neomet told you You need to see what you need to see to make the shot. It sounds strange the longer you shoot the clearer this will be. What you need to see is not the same for everyone or every shot. The way I start someone off on learning what they need to see is like this. I take 4 black pasters and stick the in a 2x2 square. I put the target at 3-5 yards depending on the shooters skill level and I have then shoot a group keeping all of their shoots in the pasters. I like to use five rounds. I tell the shooter to keep the gun on target for the whole 5 shots. I explain their attention is on the front sight for the whole process watch the sight lift and return when they see the sight return to the rear notch the gun should be on target ready to fire. I let them work at their own pace making and corrections to their basic firearms skills until they are firing at a good rate. They are seeing what they need to see. Then I move them back and start over.

I hope this helps you out

2"-3" groups are at 7 yards I beleive. 25 yds I have groups 5"-6" And the occaisional flyer. Targets are usually the High Vis type DIRTY BIRD.. Shoot-n-See types. Aiming at center bulleye.

Attention on front sight? Do you mean to track the front sight throughout recoil and back to starting point? I think I focus on sights/target break shot... focus on target and wait for sight picture to settle and reaim.

Thanks for the advice

Attention on front sight? Do you mean to track the front sight throughout recoil and back to starting point? I think I focus on sights/target break shot... focus on target and wait for sight picture to settle and reaim.

Thanks for the advice

Thats what I mean. The spot the sight lifts from is where the round hits. The follow through confirms the hit. The quicker you see the sight picture the quicker you can make the next shot.

• 1 month later...