Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single or Two stage trigger

JMIS

Single vs two stage is personal preference. I don't like two stage triggers in a run'n'gun rifle. I had a really nice 4lbs trigger using milspec parts and JP springs, then eventually swapped out for the JP kit. I like the shorter reset with single stage set ups. If you can assemble a lower from scratch, you should be albe to install the JP kit and set it up. There are also drop in "boxes" available to. I've wanted to try them but they cost twice as much as I spent.

How good are you at tweaking triggers? What kind of machine tools-gunsmith tools do you have? Safest best way is to send your lower to JP Rifles and have them put in a competition trigger.

My dad is the guy with the gunsmith tools and know how. I'm leaning towards the Timney trigger as suggested by a friend.

So many trigger to pick from, just wanted to hear what people like and why.

:cheers:

Haven't had a chance to shoot the majority of top end triggers for comparison, but I purchased the Geissele super 3gun (curved) to replace my DPMS parts kit trigger group (ground of hammer bob with JP springs) and it's a world of difference better. I suppose I'll regret it if I shoot a complete JP trigger group or similar and like it that much better, but the Geissele S3G was such an improvement over the stock trigger that it's doing the trick right now.

I really, really like the AR Gold, probably because it makes my rifle's trigger feel just like my 1911/2011. Short, light (adjustable) take up with a crisp 3 lb break. Sear depth engagement is adjustable as well. Lots of folks call this a 2 stage trigger, but in the strictest rifle sense I believe it is really a single stage that has very light take up.

The down side is cost, but relative to the rest of a good 3 gun setup, It's not that bad.

-Steve

I have JPs and just love them, also have 2-stages on some builds; ran one once in a match and didn't like the longer pull but liked it shooting off a bench. Heard good things about the Geissele Super 3gun and will be trying out one on a new build. A big plus for me what JaeOne mentioned, goes in like a standard trigger group.

How good are you at tweaking triggers? What kind of machine tools-gunsmith tools do you have? Safest best way is to send your lower to JP Rifles and have them put in a competition trigger.

I changed out the springs in my mil-spec trigger using an allen wrench to punch out the trigger pins. It ended up with a 4 pound pull with no creep and very little over travel. It's better than the JP trigger that came stock with my LR308. So essentially you don't need specific tools. I may have gotten lucky with good surfaces on the sear and hammer.

Do a google search for "AR trigger job" and you'll get some info on how to modify the stock springs to improve the pull. There's also info on how to polish the sear surfaces so it's really smooth. I'd do that before dropping a $100 or more on an aftermarket trigger. You might be amazed at the difference.

Giessele SSA is a nice trigger especially for the price, and they make an enhanced version for bench guns. Thats what i run ;)

I like the Geisselle Adjustable two stage match triggers but that is what I am used to. Most three gunners prefer single stage triggers.

Pat

I also like my 2 stage trigger (Compass Lake). The nice thing about a 2 stage is that you have a 4.5 pound trigger for the run and gun. And you also have a crisp 1 pounder for the longer shots. Its not like you notice the transition during fast shots but it sure is nice on the long one.

I also like my 2 stage trigger (Compass Lake). The nice thing about a 2 stage is that you have a 4.5 pound trigger for the run and gun. And you also have a crisp 1 pounder for the longer shots. Its not like you notice the transition during fast shots but it sure is nice on the long one.

Good point :cheers:

Single vs two stage is personal preference. I don't like two stage triggers in a run'n'gun rifle.

Same here. I run a Jard single stage on my 3-gun rifle and a 2-stage on my Varmint rifle..

I bought 4 of the Giessele 3 gun triggers and they are a snap to install and I feel safer long term than the others I have.

I like the Jard trigger but they are a bit more involved to install and adjust but great once there in, and I found you MUST degrease and loctite each screw very carefully to avoid

unwanted drift in adjustments and a burst of unexpected rounds down range. I have 4 in total

I tried Jards new Drop in trigger and it DID NOT engage the safety at all so I sent it back and went for the Giessele.

have 4 of the Chip McCormick Drop ins and they are very nice as well and very easy to install .

My Varmint Ar from DPMS has a Factory installed JP trigger and it is the best of all for Target / Varmint but I would not want one for 3 Gun.

before I changed all mine to Aftermarket I did the 15 Min Trigger Job ( find it on Google ) and never had a failure and it made a nice improvement.

Hope this helps

SWandME

My JP trigger in my JP is my favorite, but IMHO, is not the easiest to install or adjust. My Timney just dropped right in, took all of 5 minutes to get installed and shooting. The Timney does not break as clean, but plentty good for my skill level.