Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Guns

JAB

OK i been reading alot of these post about open guns and one thing i see about them is that people are shooting 38 super or 9mm not because the cal is better but because they can hold more rounds in the mags compared to 40 or 45 cal open guns am i right ?.Well for some one like me who live in Canada all handguns can't hold more then 10 rounds so i guess that would make open guns in Canada equel.So if you were to shoot an open gun up here in Canada cal wouldn't make a différance seeing how 10round is the max

I live in Hawaii and we too are restricted to 10 round PISTOL mags.

I shoot mainly in Open division and shoot .38 Super. Since I'm shooting in Open, .38 provides for more gas to work the comp and holes to minimize muzzle flip for a quicker follow-up shot(s).

Also, I shoot in some of the bigger matches where I am allowed to use regular capacity mags and shooting .38/9 allows more rounds to be held in the mag. There are a few Canadians that also shoot in the US with standard capacity mags.

One guy in our club has a .40 open and it just doesn't seem to control muzzle flip as well as the .38/9's the rest of us are shooting in Open.

With .38/9 you can use a lighter weight bullet too. Much lighter than a .40 or .45.

Lots of Canadians come to the US to shoot as well. Might as well be competitive everywhere

true we do shoot in the US how can i be competitive if i cant own mags that hold more then 10 rounds ?

true we do shoot in the US how can i be competitive if i cant own mags that hold more then 10 rounds ?

You can own mags that hold more than 10 rounds as long as they are blocked and require the use of a tool to remove the block. I know lots of Canadians that have mags to use in the US.

Lots of Canadians come to the US to shoot as well. Might as well be competitive everywhere

I shot with a gentleman from Ontario at the Florida Open last week,

and he had standard 140 mm mags which had been blocked to hold only

ten rounds in Canada - he simply removed the block and they held

20 more or less. He did a very nice job with that .38 super open gun.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe there is any such thing as a

10 shot mag for an STI Open gun - just 20 shot mags that are blocked.

(I'm sure we'll here about it if I'm wrong on that).

Stick with the 9mm major or the .38 super - they're a lot of fun...

That is more of a legal question. Ask the folks around you who shoot internationally. But I think your primary question had been answered very well. 38/9 has better recoil management though i never shot 40 open :devil: To work the compensator you need gas, more gas needs more powder = 38/9.

Hello: Another thing is finding once fired brass. You can find lots of 9mm brass and also 40 brass. All the once fired 38 super or 38sc brass is picked up right away and taken to a secret hiding place :roflol: I think you will be able to make a 40 open pistol work with the correct powder but the bullet maybe the deciding factor getting one in the 130 grain area. Another option maybe 357 SIG if you can find lots of brass? I shoot 9mm Open using a 115 grain bullet if that helps. Thanks, Eric

So far I have been happy with my open 40 glock.. Been using a 155 grain bullet behind sr7625 and seems the make the gun track straigh up and down.. Definitely not as flat as some other open guns but I am a tinkerer and like the challenge of making something work!

Agree on the 9mm and 40 brass being so plentiful out there.. I shoot a local practice match (100 rounds or so) and usually come home with 300-400 casings..

As far as mag capacity, 24 in my two big sticks and 19 in my two 140mm mags seems to work out just fine..