Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tiny brass shavings

sdm74

I notice this more when loading new brass and I think it's produced at the crimp station (I load on a 1050). It's almost like the crimp die will slightly radius the outer edge of the case mouth on the first loading (new brass has very square edges). When loading used brass I rarely see shavings.

Sounds like you may need to adjust your expander die so it opens up the case rim a bit more to avoid the shaving.

Right now its a barley noticeable bell to the case. But with mixed brass some are better then others. Do you go with the shortest case to set the die?

I notice this more when loading new brass and I think it's produced at the crimp station (I load on a 1050). It's almost like the crimp die will slightly radius the outer edge of the case mouth on the first loading (new brass has very square edges). When loading used brass I rarely see shavings.

The manual states it could be to much crimp or to little bell...lol hard to tell the difference. I cleaned shellplate and tried to watch for awhile and didnt notice any shavings. So I got in the zone and started cranking. After about 200 or so is when I noticed a few shavings on shellplate

Edited by sdm74

I have never measured how much bell I put on the case, I always just adjusted by eyeballing it and by ease of setting the bullet on top before the seating station. Less bell is better, but too little makes it harder to rapidly/accurately set the bullet on top. I do set the crimp by measurement, but with mixed brass it will vary.

This is rather common with new brass, moreso among some brands than others. A side effect of the impact extrusion manufacturing, the flakes iron out under the pressure of firing, and go away after one or two reloads.

I notice this too. Also with 38special with a slight roll crimp as opposed to a slight taper crimp- even with used brass.

Edited by lugnut

^....sorry didn't know people wasted there money on brand new brass

Guess it makes no sence that "new" brass could mean never reloaded before.

There are some calibers that if you don't buy new, you don't shoot. 38S/SC/TJ, 9x21, 9x23, etc. Most of these are open calibers, so we have a tendency to hold onto our brass and reload many, many times. So, new brass makes absolute sense in that respect.

Kevin won't be among us though...He's getting a 9mm open gun :sick: , he won't be able to reload his brass nearly as much! :sight:

Is once fired factory considered new brass?

Seriously?

Yep only been reloading a month..hence why this is in the new reloader section

Yes it is, but new is new. Once fired is, well..... used.:)

New brass has never been loaded at all. Once fired is typically factory ammo that has supposedly only been fired one time. Lot's of reloaders like once fired because it is alot cheaper than new and it still has alot of life left in it.

Is once fired factory considered new brass?

not unreasonable question, call it "newer" :). Once fired factory ammo picked up off the floor of an indoor range is definitely newer than stuff that was picked up off the gravel at Blackwater after a season in the sun and rain and then resold as once fired (with no real idea of how many times it had been fired before it was actually collected for reuse/resale). on this forum, people are (my experience) honest to a fault, and if someone says it's "once fired" than it means just that (lot of times people collect from LE ranges where there are generally no commercial reloads used). Otherwise, if someone doesn't know the history of the brass beyond the fact that it is an unknown range pickup, they say so up front and will price it accordingly on classifieds.