Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin not hitting hard enough?

digerup

in my open gun the CCI and Tula are too hard. WSP, WSPM, or federal are my go to, federal will go off if you sneeze (exaggeration). In the large pistol primers, no brands have given me a problem. When Tula wouldnt work in my open 38 super i used the same batch in my .40 xd and 38 special and bith went off without a hitch. so i would simply change primers before changing parts in your gun.

Drop a #2 pencil (eraser end first) down the bore of your unloaded pistol. Cock the hammer, hold the gun so the bore is vertical and pull the trigger. If the pencil hits the ceiling or shoots at least 3 feet straight up, the problem is with the primers or primer seating. If it just barely makes it out of the barrel, the problem is with the gun.

Turn off the ceiling fan.........or so I heard :blink:

Drop a #2 pencil (eraser end first) down the bore of your unloaded pistol. Cock the hammer, hold the gun so the bore is vertical and pull the trigger. If the pencil hits the ceiling or shoots at least 3 feet straight up, the problem is with the primers or primer seating. If it just barely makes it out of the barrel, the problem is with the gun.

I shot a pencil out a little better than 2 feet.

I just swapped springs with the Para and tried the pencil test. Same results, STI 2ft, the Para did shoot the pencil 1-2 ft higher with each spring. I also checked primer depth on the unfired rounds with dented primers and they were seated just under flush the same as all the rest. I will load up some Win primers and try that.

Is the depth .002-.005?

Some folks cut a coil or two off the firing pin spring to allow the firing to travel more distance forward.

Others use an extended firing pin.

I probably have over 50,000 rounds on one firing pin spring.

Edited by pjb45

I ran into the same kinda thing a while back. The first thing I found was that the firing pin was not straight. I chucked it in a drill and spun it slowly. It was pretty obvious that way. New fp spring didn't help. New spring and extended fp didn't help either. Standard FP and cut spring no go. Different primers? That didn't work either. I tried a stronger mainspring didn't fix the issue.

I finally found the problem. The sear was riding the front arc of the hammer. Not always, the problem was about 2 out of 100. There where rub marks on the arc of the hammer. I removed some material with a kratex bit and have been trouble free since.

I'll try to post a pic later. So you will know where to check.

Hope this helps.

It's the primers...Had the same issues with the Rems as what you described. Went back to the Wins, problem disappeared.

I found just the opposite to be true. My S&W revolver wouldn't ignite WSP primers consistently but had no problems with the RSP.

It's the primers...Had the same issues with the Rems as what you described. Went back to the Wins, problem disappeared.

I found just the opposite to be true. My S&W revolver wouldn't ignite WSP primers consistently but had no problems with the RSP.

well you must get some special primers or something :blink:

I would suggest switching to Winchester primers. I shoot 38 super comp in open, 38 super & super comp in single stack and never had a problem with Winchester primers. Winchester primers are a bit softer.