Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads and 1911 with fixed rear sight

kreativecid

I just took delivery of a 1911 which has been in the making for about 14 months. Yep. Fourteen. At the time of ordering I wasn't into IDPA or USPSA so this 1911 has a rear sight which is not adjustable. Never the less, I reload and like having an adjustable rear sight but I presume if a shooter became familiar with a load and how a 1911 shoots it then it's all relative, right?

In the meantime I ordered a different SSTK and CDP 45 with adjustable rear sight so now I'm "stuck" with this much-awaited 1911 which all of a sudden I have no real use for since my gaming mentality thinks I just haaaave to have certain sights.

Anyone have success accuracy wise with reloads and a fixed rear sight?

I've only ever had fixed sights on the Glocks I've used for production and the .40's I reload for USPSA are nowhere near factory. I do know that I need to cover an 8" plate 2/3 of the way up at 20 yards. This is a different sight picture than I need for the Limited gun which is almost a 6 o'clock hold. Then again, I don't shoot production very much. If you can't adjust for the fixed sight, then adjust the fixed sight ... send the slide out or get a local smith to put a bomar on it for you.

I dont get this mentality that an adjustable rear sight is more accurate than a fixed, It isnt it is just more adjustable, Unless you are swapping loads all the time an adjustable serves no purpose. Pick the basic load you are gonna use and zero your fixed sights to that load. Switching bullet weights can usually dial in the height. and fixed sights are usually drift adjustable for left right.

I dont get this mentality that an adjustable rear sight is more accurate than a fixed, It isnt it is just more adjustable, Unless you are swapping loads all the time an adjustable serves no purpose. Pick the basic load you are gonna use and zero your fixed sights to that load. Switching bullet weights can usually dial in the height. and fixed sights are usually drift adjustable for left right.

Perhaps I like to switch bullet weights to obtain the recoil I like then adjust my sights. Fixed sights suck for that. What if I want to switch bullet weights for a different purpose? Then, once again, I'm stuck with a sight I can not adjust.

So, I don't get your mentality.

• 4 weeks later...

At the time I was not into gaming nor reloading. Almost put the Dawson rear sight on but it's a moot point: firearm was sold.

Why 14 months to build and you don't know what's on it? If I was having a gun built It would have adj sites.

Edited by kreativecid

I have always found I shoot better with fixed sights because it lets the gun shoot me rather than me shooting the gun. I find when I have adjustable sights I am always adjusting them for the wrong reasons (I am flinching). "oh gees, the sights are off, I better adjust them," when the real problem is I am flinching, or my muscles haven't yet adjusted to a different grip angle if I have just switched from another model. Fixed sights make you focus on adjusting to the particular gun. I think that is one of the problems with die hard 1911 shooters, they get so locked into one setup that they think all other pistols are set up wrong, or the sigths are off when the real problem is their muscle memory hasn't had time to adjust. Solid fundamentals will fix this however.