Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson

No.343

The idea of interchangeable barrels sounds pretty interesting to me. I happen to have one in my safe. I bought one while I was still shooting IHMSA and hurt my arms shortly after that and couldn't hold it up with one hand anymore. It's been a safe queen for several years. I bet I haven't put 100 rounds through it. I was thinking about getting a four or six inch barrel and playing with it. I assume they are very slow to reload. I never hear any comments about Dan Wesson revolvers in this forum. Is this the relative nobody wants to talk about?

I have one in the safe as well and it probably has the same amount of rounds through it. I have thought about dragging it out to a match for kicks but can't find a decent holster. I have likewise searched before and can't find any information on anyone using one for a match of any type. All I have is one barrel with mine, I think it's 4".

Two drawbacks as far as I can see-No moonclips. You will have to go with speedloaders and the Forward mounted cylinder release.

But I think both can be addressed through dry-fire. I would think a switch hand reload (where the gun is held in the weak hand and reloaded with the strong) would address the issues. I am sure a good revolver gunsmith can work the action over and lighten it up for you.

Haul it out and shoot it! What length barrel does it have now?

Dan Wessons are good revolvers. The position of the cylinder release should be no problem. One of the issues we had many years back was that seemed to be a little finicky and had a hard time holding up with a lot of shooting. Shooting minor should help this a bit. Drag it out and whupp up on the revo crowd at ICORE and USPSA. A little humility will go along way. :sight: No. 343 bring it out this week end and we will see if the comp III's in a K or L frame will fit. Later rdd

I have a Dan Wesson Pistol Pac with the 2 1/2, 4, 6, and 8 inch barrels. All but the 2 1/2 are great. 2 1/2 is to bulky for the frame, a waste of resource. The others are great for accuracy. As stated before, the biggest problem is using speed-loaders. Mine is out of action now, due to the cylinder stop on the frame coming loose, but as soon as I can find someone to tig-weld it back in, I will be using it for some Icore. They are quality revolvers, just somewhat over engineered. I like mine.

Oh'e boy!

It's going to be a very loooong drive to the IRC from AR to CA. One guy likes Ruger, another Dan Wesson....now we just need a Colt fan too.

Good grief ? what has this world come to...anyone into Charter Arms now that we're at it !

Jess Christensen

Now don't start on my Astra!!! :roflol: It is only 27 hours from Arkansas, Nine hours apiece. Bring lots of cofee. later rdd

I had one in 8 inch. It shot good groups and I was experimenting with it for Action Pistol.

The hammer was pretty large and fairly heavy. I lightened the hammer and put an action spring kit in.

Still... I had to take the side plate off and moly lube the fire components frequently to keep it running smooth

if shooting a lot of rounds. For heavy action/ICORE shooting the smiths are better.

No reason to not try it if it's what you have.

Troy

Dan Wesson's are great guns. Since you already have it you may as well take advantage and go shoot it. The 8 inch barrel is a bit heavy but if you can find a 6 inch you've got a real winner.

I think the Comp IIIs will work with it. Trigger is pretty easy to work on. Now get out there and sight it in and shoot it.

It's perfect for the new Classic Division once you get a 6 inch barrel. But for local matches I'm sure no one will complain.

...it is gonna be pretty hard to get my recently Carmoneyed 625 out of my hands. That gun is sweet.

I sent my 686 to him that should arrive in his mailbox today.

I have some Ahrend's grips at home that I haven't shot with it yet either.

I'm looking forward to trying out all the new goodies (sites, grips, and action job) it upon its return!

Edited by gr7070

The new Dan Wesson, part of the CZ USA stable, will be re-introducing the classic Dan Wesson .357.

So, if you have one that needs TLC, new parts and barrels will be available. From what I recall at the SHOT show, the new barrels will be directly interchangeable, but the new action differs some.

The new Dan Wesson, part of the CZ USA stable, will be re-introducing the classic Dan Wesson .357.

So, if you have one that needs TLC, new parts and barrels will be available. From what I recall at the SHOT show, the new barrels will be directly interchangeable, but the new action differs some.

That sounds very encouraging. I've been looking around a bit for a four inch barrel, but I can't tell which is the correct type of shroud that I would need. Hopefully, the CZ/DW rep will steer me right when I order.

I love the Dan wesson revolvers. Don't think Ty would bethe best for games but I think it would be fun to run it. I have 4 of them right now, a 357 with 2, 4, 6, and 8 inch barrels. And 357, 375 and 445 Supermags

Here is a picture of the 445 super mag next to a regular 44mag

89cfcc6f.jpg

And here are my supermag revolvers

7c0d6842.jpg

I used to have 3 Dan Wessons before I moved away from 357/38. Had a 715 6", a model 14 partial pistol pac and a High Standard Sentinel Mk II 4" (dan Wesson made them for HS)

I found a switch hand reload to work pretty good as I could pull down the cylinder latch and then flip the frame down to open it up with one hand while my other hand went for my speedloader.

I had the Comp II and III speedloaders

Edited by wintermute76

The old gun magazine ads for the Dan Wesson Pistol Pac always attracted my attention, but for whatever reason I've never owned one. There was a 4-barrel Pistol Pac for sale at the gun show yesterday, and I looked at it pretty closely. The guy was asking $1000 and made it clear he would take no less than $900, which I still thought was a little pricey for its condition (decent, but definitely not mint, and missing the buckle or patch that should have been in the case), so I passed.

There's a Pistol Pac at the local pawn shop, think they have $900 on it, which does seem goofy.

I got my partial pac, 2,4,6 inch bbls for $350, the 715 for $300 and the Sentinel for $150.

I've heard the new Dan Wessons will be MSRP of $1200, so I probably won't be getting one. May be worth it if they changed the action, as they felt a lil different.

My DW 44 is NOT for sale! (Not that anyone asked.) This old cannon (circa '82) went to many IHMSA matches & has accounted for 10 deer & 2 pigs, all one shot & drop. The barrel looks awful but shoots great. Anyone looking for a hunting gun would be well served with one. Have regretted not getting a 445 Supermag.