Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To shoot again or not to shoot?

The good news is that I am starting to be able to call my shots. The bad news is that it's sparking a mental debate in my already fragile-eggshell-mind. For steel it's easy, I know that I need to shoot it again to knock it down (it's actually really nice to know this before I hear or don't hear the "ting".) If I miss paper it's easy - hit it again. Here is the real dilemma:

On paper, I can tell when I'm not in the A zone but only after I do a little mental replay of what the sights just did. Since I take a moment to review the mental replay, once I know that I'm off I start to ask, "should I shoot it again?" by the time I get to answering that question, another question comes up "wait did I just take too long to answer that question, should I shoot it again now?" and then another question comes "if I shoot it again am I going to run out of bullets and not be able to execute my plan?"

... I know I'm thinking too much, but how can this be avoided? Do you guys just go in the with resolve to make up or not make up shots at the beginning of the stage? Should I just train myself to automatically make up the shot when I get the feeling that I was off before my mental debate starts (that might come back to bite me during viriginia count)?

Sounds like this kind of ties in with the post from dpeters regarding figuring HFactors. If you know what the hf is you would/should know when and if you need to make up the shot. Personally I seem to be in about the same mental posistion as you are. :huh:

On a similar note, I've been wondering what sort of target set-up I can use to be able to practice fast follow-up shots when (I think) I didn't hit the part I want to hit. Me thinks BE's poor man's paper plate targets might be the trick. ;)

Recently I realized, a called shot on a the C-zone more often ends up in D. A called off-center A, hit on a C. And for the life of me, I cannot understand why I can't seem to correct a called miss. So now I want to work on correcting anyhting that doesn't "look right."

if you call ALL your shots you don't have to make up any

That's the problem. I am calling the shot and I know that the shot is off. If I had more visual patience I would not have pulled the trigger (I need a ton load of work on that too,) but I did pull the trigger so now what do I do?

It's kind of a double-edged sword. It's cool to "know" where it went, but it sucks to "know" that it was off ... AAArrrgghhh! [picture insert] Charlie Brown screaming after Lucy pulls the football away before he kicks it ... again [/picture insert]

I know visual patience will fix this, but I don't have much yet and I will be doing a lot more shooting before I get it. I need a band-aid (the kind with the power rangers on it is my favorite ... but not that kind for this).

Should I make that shot up...

I wonder if I should be thinking about that now...

What did I really see...

I see the sky is blue...pretty...

Look...I see a bird...

I wonder where the bird is going...

Looks like he has something...

It might be a worm...

I used to use worms as bait when I went fishing...

I miss that old boat...

Forest Gump had a neat boat...

He caught shrimp...

I like to make my own shrimp sauce...

The Amish make good horseradish...

I wonder what power factor a pitch fork makes...

Forest Gump played ping-pong...

I wonder how far back I can shoot a ping-pong ball from...

I'd probably need a small front sight...

I wonder how small my front sight is...

hmmm, can't tell, my focus is on the target...

oh...there my front sight is...

I forgot it was serrated...

Looks like...heck...it is right in the A-zone...

I THINK I'll take a shot...

(Until you know better for certain...make up all hopers and non-Alpha hit.)

MAN.......and I thought I had problems!!! I would suggest slowing down just a tad so that you're certain that the shots are where you want them placed to begin with. I know, slow is hard to do, especially after watching the super squad blaze through a stage , but I found myself improving the most when I went back to the basics and took my time, scored good hits, and didn't have to second guess myself.......but remember, if you're shooting all alphas, you're shooting too slow. My biggest problem is that I can't take my own advice when I get to a classifier......I always seem to tank them :wacko:

Shorty,

I think you are over-thinking the problem.

I am usually too busy trying to figure out a simple and stupid-proof way to shoot a stage to figure out HF and time/points to score.

For this reason, I usually stick with Benos suggestion to shoot As as fast as I can. Besides, it requires less mind work ;)

sr,

in spite of the criticism here, you are asking a very good question. If you go to a big match, a question that strikes even the big dogs occasionally (I have seen them move on and then come back to a position after their "mental processing" told them they needed to go back and make up that shot).

1. "Call your shots" does not mean "hit with all your shots"! It simply means knowing where they went.

2. Calling your shots, once you master it, is an extremely powerful capability mostly because it tells you when to shoot again! Whether that's worth it or not is the main advantage of (beforehand!) estimating your own stage HF.

3. "Seeing" and "processing what you saw" are two different animals. I am training myself to shoot again when my visual (and/or trigger feel) clues tell me I missed the A. Just like yourself, I am still struggling with the decision time period, so I figured the best "default" action is to shoot again. On a high HF stage, that may be the wrong thing to do... The key is probably to condition yourself correctly in the stage preparation phase.

--Detlef

SR,

It's good that you are calling shots, but, perhaps for you, like me, there is further refinement to be made that I think addresses your dilemma.

It sounds like you can call a "non-A" shot. Can you call a "non-C"? A D or mike, for most field course, midrange hit factor stages, is worth making up. A C isn't, at least not the way I shoot (i.e., not fast enough :P ).

The upper classes (no, definitely not me) can call "non-A's", and make them up without thinking (or not), based on what they have preprogrammed for their run using their predicted hit factor for the stage. I can sometimes do it - putting on a third shot and later finding two holes, or three with a D. But sometimes I find three A's <_< , sometimes three D's :( , or sometimes no holes at all :blink: .

The decision to make up a shot based on hit factor probably should be made before your run. Then, during the stage, call it as you see it. If you haven't gotten to the point of being sure, then I, at least, will take the shot. Maybe later, you and I will see better. ;)

Here's a different way to think about it that I'm experimenting with... Call your shots to observe where the shot went. No "good shot" or "bad shot" judgement, just observe 'em and see where they go. Make it your intention to "shoot goot points as fast as possible" and see what happens.