Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my lathe home

mscott

Well, I got my lathe home yesterday so now I'll need some tooling. Where do you buy from? Enco has been recomended as well as Grizzly. I'm not going into business or anything, so I don't need top shelf stuff, but understand the need for quality. I'll need a 6" 4 jaw chuck, a couple of indicators, bits, boring bars, etc. Threading is one of my main purposes, so if that sways any opinions I'd appreciate any advice.

Here's a pic

post-7061-081700800 1297002582_thumb.jpg

That's a pretty cool old lathe. What size is it?

Regarding tools, I've bought stuff from Grizzly, Enco, MSC, ebay, Shars, etc, etc. There's a lot of Chinese made stuff that is not too bad. You can find a lot of it on ebay. A lot of Grizzlies stuff is Chinese but when they get it in they go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Darren

MSC will have about everything you need. They have USA and import products.

+1. MSC sucked up J&L a couple of years ago, and I've heard they also own Enco.

Products range from so-so "quality import" to top of the line $$$$$. The current

MSC catalog is 2338 pages (including index) of goodies. :D

Watch the specials. They do "25% off 5 or more items" every couple of months, and some even better deals on orders above a minimum $ value. Keep a want list, and order several items

at the same time. There is a $11 or so "handling charge" on EVERY order--large or small.

They also do "next day air at ground rate" as a shipping option.

Wow :surprise:

Except for the stand/cabnet that looks identical to the first lathes I had access to in jr high :rolleyes:

I built my very first pistol(cap and ball derrenger) on that machine in 1971, along with many small cannons :D

You are going to have a blast using it!

I also use MSC

Jim

Wow :surprise:

Except for the stand/cabnet that looks identical to the first lathes I had access to in jr high :rolleyes:

I built my very first pistol(cap and ball derrenger) on that machine in 1971, along with many small cannons :D

You are going to have a blast using it!

I also use MSC

Jim

Jim,

Please share (with mscoot, especially) all the details of building those small cannons. We have a place here in Ohio that those would fit in great. In fact, that place has a really big old lathe sitting in the back of their barn, as well.

Mike, Tom has a brother-in-law or two that do some machine work. Might be good to ask him about tooling. Maybe they will know somebody local...

MSC will have about everything you need. They have USA and import products.

+1. MSC sucked up J&L a couple of years ago, and I've heard they also own Enco.

Products range from so-so "quality import" to top of the line $$$$$. The current

MSC catalog is 2338 pages (including index) of goodies. :D

Watch the specials. They do "25% off 5 or more items" every couple of months, and some even better deals on orders above a minimum $ value. Keep a want list, and order several items

at the same time. There is a $11 or so "handling charge" on EVERY order--large or small.

They also do "next day air at ground rate" as a shipping option.

If you have a commercial account, you will get a couple faxes a week with "specials." I agree on the "want list" I've saved a ton of money by watching the sale fliers.

mscott, Nice looking South Bend Lathe...I took note of the quick change tool post. It appears to be a AXA series but I was unable to tell if it is wedge or piston type,I have one,that is a wedge style... You stated that you do not plan to go into business so you do not feel the need for hi end tooling..My reply to this is a yes and no.I learned very shortly after I had my machine,that the machine was just the down payment..The tooling is what allows you to make chips along with proper setup and rigidity.You did not state what machining experience you have had before you acquired this machine,and your posting leads me to believe you are in the same shoes as I was many moons ago... I do not intend to start a argument with others that will see my posting so take this with a grain of salt and consider these statements accordingly...I will list an ENCO part # to some of the items I refer to,so that you can look on line and see what I am referring to..Also taking into consideration that you do have a AXA series Tool Post..Brazed Carbide cutters-ENCO#TM383-4500 are cheep and do well for roughing and producing a good finish to soft medals like aluminum,brass and mild steel..A fare bang for the Buck$..The catch to these cutters is the cutting radius and the grade of Carbide or the true quality of the Carbide..Making your own High Speed Steel Cutters from blanks takes some developed skill and a dedicated grinder..and yes there will come a time when an odd shaped cutter has it's place for what you desire to produce...leave that to your imagionation...It is my humble opinion that an Indexable Carbide Turning Tollholder Set-ENCO#TM250-1401 would give you a wider range of turning options with your quick change tool holders...This part# does not include Inserts,they must be purchessed seperately,yet if you look on the web you will find the five Tollholders with inserts included...Basicly it will cost roughly the same...On a different note you mentioned boring bars..There are diameter and depth restrictions with most available boring bars on the market. This posting could go on much longer than is practical so a P.M. or video chat thru Yahoo Messenger maybe a better way to cover other bases should you wish to...E-mail<aircavvietnam@yahoo.com> to set up time and will be on line must of this afternoon in the Man Cave where the War Department tends to leave me alone...JoeA.

Except for the stand/cabnet that looks identical to the first lathes I had access to in jr high

If your old, and you probably are or you would have been taking a environmental awareness class instead of shop, it was also good lathe that you had to use.

Thanks for the replies. I've gotten plenty of advice, so now I just need to sort it out and get to work.

Joe A, I realize I need to spend some money on tools, but I meant not $300 for a boring bar and such. Thanks for the part #s

This is the first lathe I've owned, so my experience is nil. I've had some tell me go with HSS so I can run a slower speed and still get good results. I'm leaning toward the replaceable carbide bits, so the angle is already correct. Threading will be done on stinless and CM barrels, aluminum, stainless, and possibly titanium tubing. Any thoughts? I have a couple of local machinist that have already volunteered to come over and help out, so I won't be starting off blind.

mscott, Nice looking South Bend Lathe...I took note of the quick change tool post. It appears to be a AXA series but I was unable to tell if it is wedge or piston type,I have one,that is a wedge style... You stated that you do not plan to go into business so you do not feel the need for hi end tooling..My reply to this is a yes and no.I learned very shortly after I had my machine,that the machine was just the down payment..The tooling is what allows you to make chips along with proper setup and rigidity.You did not state what machining experience you have had before you acquired this machine,and your posting leads me to believe you are in the same shoes as I was many moons ago... I do not intend to start a argument with others that will see my posting so take this with a grain of salt and consider these statements accordingly...I will list an ENCO part # to some of the items I refer to,so that you can look on line and see what I am referring to..Also taking into consideration that you do have a AXA series Tool Post..Brazed Carbide cutters-ENCO#TM383-4500 are cheep and do well for roughing and producing a good finish to soft medals like aluminum,brass and mild steel..A fare bang for the Buck$..The catch to these cutters is the cutting radius and the grade of Carbide or the true quality of the Carbide..Making your own High Speed Steel Cutters from blanks takes some developed skill and a dedicated grinder..and yes there will come a time when an odd shaped cutter has it's place for what you desire to produce...leave that to your imagionation...It is my humble opinion that an Indexable Carbide Turning Tollholder Set-ENCO#TM250-1401 would give you a wider range of turning options with your quick change tool holders...This part# does not include Inserts,they must be purchessed seperately,yet if you look on the web you will find the five Tollholders with inserts included...Basicly it will cost roughly the same...On a different note you mentioned boring bars..There are diameter and depth restrictions with most available boring bars on the market. This posting could go on much longer than is practical so a P.M. or video chat thru Yahoo Messenger maybe a better way to cover other bases should you wish to...E-mail<aircavvietnam@yahoo.com> to set up time and will be on line must of this afternoon in the Man Cave where the War Department tends to leave me alone...JoeA.

+10!

My lathe was like my Bridgeport. Neither of them are worth a dime if you don't have the tooling to use for the jobs you want to do. You won't be able to see every job or project you might want to do in the future, either for yourself or somebody else. You'll be buying tooling from now on. If you're like me you won't decide not to do a project just because you don't have a particular piece of tooling. "Yeah, I've got the lathe but not a piece of tooling so I'm not going to build this or modify that". That just won't fly and you know it.

When it does come to tooling don't buy on the cheap! No, you don't have to gold plate everything but the cheapest stuff makes the job a miserable failure with miserable results.

Boring bars, look at Mesa Tools. Good stuff that works very well. Not expensive but NOT junk. Ask me how I know.

Given that you are in Ohio keep an eye out on Craig's List (tools) in nearby big towns. Lot's of good deals. Just know what you are looking for and how to separate the wheat from the chafe.

I spotted a collet closer in your pic. I'm jealous.

Pat

Thanks for the replies. I've gotten plenty of advice, so now I just need to sort it out and get to work.

Joe A, I realize I need to spend some money on tools, but I meant not $300 for a boring bar and such. Thanks for the part #s

This is the first lathe I've owned, so my experience is nil. I've had some tell me go with HSS so I can run a slower speed and still get good results. I'm leaning toward the replaceable carbide bits, so the angle is already correct. Threading will be done on stinless and CM barrels, aluminum, stainless, and possibly titanium tubing. Any thoughts? I have a couple of local machinist that have already volunteered to come over and help out, so I won't be starting off blind.

Mesa Tools boring bars with carbide insert... $21.00 - $29.00. Treading tool with insert...$30.00 - $34.00. I have both and they work great. As you hopefully know, just having the equipment doesn't make you a pro. Where have I heard that before? Buy round stock in the materials you will be working on and practice, practice, practice. Where have I heard that before?

Having a couple of machinists to help you along is a Godsend. If you have a VoTech school available see if they offer classes.

Pat

machining like what you are doing is a Hobby for many.

there are a couple of magazines like home shop machinist

and there is a Cabin Fever Expo in January.

I was amazed at all the tools, tooling, and fixtures

it adds up. the other thing you will want is a mill...

My schooling did not include Shop...

That Collet closer will become your favorite chuck.

miranda

I found a new 6" Cusman 4 jaw for $175. I already have a backing plate. Seems like a pretty fair price for a good quality chuck from what I've seen. Yes? No? I thought about the Grizzly one for $70, but would the Cushman be a worthwhile upgrade?

msgott, I took the time to read all the other posting that have been sent I last check in-so I'll add a few things I feel have some worth and shut up ...I agree that indexable insert is the way you should go..HSS has it's place with various metals..Ridgity and feedrate plays more toward final finish..yet with your stating.."Threading will be done on stainless and CM barrels, aluminum, stainless, and possibly titanium tubing" leads me to believe you may have a Form 1 project somewhere between your ears...TPMM(TT) Carbide Inserts with the proper radius will produce the threads you may desire yet internal threads will require a dedicated insert holder, your machinist friends will guide you down that path..To be honest with you,back when I first got my machine, I started out with a not much more then a "Brain Fart" between my ears..A four jaw chuck is a need item..You can more precisely center an item then with a three jaw chuck..A four jaw chuck can be used with thin wall tubing but I would also machine an insert that fits into the tubing to prevent any deformation..A six jaw chuck is what a "true machinist" would recommend when the wall thickness is under.125 without an insert...5C Collets work extremly well for tubing up to 1 1/8 diameter...Your wallet will be your guide as time goes by.....A South Bend Lathe spindel is threaded and having dedacated 4 jaw and 5C Collet Chuck will greatly decress your setup time... If anything I have posted causes anyone to think I am F.O.S. then so be it. A home hobby machinist has a learning curve and I hope to continue to be in that curve till the day someone finds me dead with my head in the chip pan...

I found a new 6" Cusman 4 jaw for $175. I already have a backing plate. Seems like a pretty fair price for a good quality chuck from what I've seen. Yes? No? I thought about the Grizzly one for $70, but would the Cushman be a worthwhile upgrade?

I have no knowledge of this brand of chuck "Cusman" where as I can state that a Phase II Four Jaw Chuck will do whatever you desire.Sorry I did not do a price comparison.. A Grizzly very well be a Phase II with a different name...