Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need some help with my stance guys

joedodge

so i use a modern isoceles stance. feet shoulder width bent knees arms locked and leaning forward....at the start. if im in a shooting position for a while a large array i start to lean back at my waist. like the gun is driving me back. i practice at home but is there a way to defeat this bad habit.

Also you indicate "arms locked". If by this you mean elbows at full extension try backing off from full extension just a bit, and rotate your elbows outward. This will allow the arms to soak a little of the recoil that is otherwise being transferred directly back into your shoulders.

Edited by Jay870

+1 on unlocking your elbows - locked, each shot will transmit the recoil straight back into your shoulders, doing a lot to knock you back.

Get the upper body weight forward - you should feel it in your toes and in the small of your back. One trick is to get the sternum out front so that a line dropped straight down is level with the ball of your forward foot (this assumes you do not have any forward ballast - aka beer gut :cheers: ).

Oh, and make sure your knees are flexed. I think it helps on recoil recovery, and is also better for the balance, faster on movement to the next array, and much less dorky looking.

edited for clarity

Edited by kevin c

At a class I took they had us put the front of our feet on the edge of a pallet, so our heels and arch were hanging off the edge of the pallet. It would probably also work with a 2X4. If you're leaning back you fall back on to your heels.

You could practice like that for awhile...

I started with too much of an upright posture. My cure was to keep my heels off the ground when shooting. The only way to do that is to move your weight forward over the balls of your feet. Eventually, you'll adapt to keeping all your weight and balance forward. You can test that theory by trying to lean back and keep your heels off the floor. Don't do it with a gun, though, the people who live above you won't be pleased.

Mac

Oh, yeah, and don't lock your elbows. Not sure if anyone mentioned that.

Watch some youtube videos then look at your stance in the mirror and try to mimic what you see on the videos. There's also plenty of info here!

Make sure you're watching videos of GOOD shooters, lol. Like Leatham, Jarrett, etc

*edit* Dave Sevigny is a good one to watch for stance help.

Edited by Erik S.

+1 on unlocking your elbows - locked, each shot will transmit the recoil straight back into your shoulders, doing a lot to knock you back.

Get the upper body weight forward - you should feel it in your toes and in the small of your back. One trick is to get the sternum out front so that a line dropped straight down is level with the ball of your forward foot (this assumes you do not have any forward ballast - aka beer gut :cheers: ).

Oh, and make sure your knees are flexed. I think it helps on recoil recovery, and is also better for the balance, faster on movement to the next array, and much less dorky looking.

edited for clarity

Great description above, basically putting together a lot of what was suggested in individual replies. Unlock the elbows, do what Kevin said, watch the vids Erik suggested and if possible, have someone video you under a timer so you can see what you're doing.

Kudos to you for recognizing this as something you need to work on, and good luck! :cheers: