Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 SC Compensator

RBros

If a guy were building an open gun in 38 SC with a 5" bull, what would be the preferred comp. Looking at Bedell, Brazo, and Dawson. I did a search, but just seeing if there is any new info out there.

Any of those would be fine. Lighter is probably better with a 5" bull barrel gun. Mike at Schuemann has a new compensator I'm interested in trying:

http://www.schuemann.com/store/tabid/78/c-799-compensators.aspx

I havent been following the compensator scene, but I am interested to find out why you would like to try the comp above? Have there been massive advancements in comps? To me they all look a like :P

Edited by Mo Zee

If a guy were building an open gun in 38 SC with a 5" bull, what would be the preferred comp. Looking at Bedell, Brazo, and Dawson. I did a search, but just seeing if there is any new info out there.

Dawson DP-2 is my pick, I have 3 of them on 9 major guns, 2 Brazos and a Bedel TI, the Dawson is by far the best, and I say that as an Opinion, no scientific proof to back it up. If you want something a little ligher on the front end I'd try the Brazos ThunderComp III, it has 4 big ports on top and works a tad better than the ThunderComp II. If you are drilling holes in the barrel then all bets are off. Also of note you will need to align ream the Dawson and the Bedel but I have not done that with the Brazos just screwed them on and started shooting. I had the Bedel back to the shop 4 times for more reaming, but that may have been becuase the smith wanted to keep it tight. The Bedel in all fairness works well when loaded hot with AA#7 or N105 and a #3 hell hole in the barrel, it does make the front of the gun light but so does an aluminum guide rod.

I havent been following the compensator scene, but I am interested to find out why you would like to try the comp above? Have there been massive advancements in comps? To me they all look a like :P

Nothing terribly particular. The first port is a bit bigger than the first port on my #1 gun now, but the second two ports appear smaller. Heck, I'd love to do a comparison between it, the two Dawson Awesomes, the Brazos, etc....it's all interesting.

With that said, it's more about getting a load that works with the comp, and then shooting a whole bunch of them, than finding the "best" comp. R,

Hello: I have some of the comps and will try them out when I get my barrel. I have the Dawson, Bedell(Titanium and SS) and Brazos. I want to try them all in the same barrel and pistol setup. Mine will be for 9mm major though. My plan is to try different loads and powders to make the best setup for each comp. It will be a comp test not using barrel holes at all. I should learn alot from this. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I have some of the comps and will try them out when I get my barrel. I have the Dawson, Bedell(Titanium and SS) and Brazos. I want to try them all in the same barrel and pistol setup. Mine will be for 9mm major though. My plan is to try different loads and powders to make the best setup for each comp. It will be a comp test not using barrel holes at all. I should learn alot from this. Thanks, Eric

You're gonna shoot 1M frames per second digital video of those tests right? :P Seriously though, that's a cool project. R,

Just build a 9mm open with the Brazos thunder comp 2 and seem's to work great. I think it's up to way and the gun builder. You start getting to many opinions, and it will drive you crazy. Just go with what you think is the best......

post-24727-014057800 1296809378_thumb.jp

Just build a 9mm open with the Brazos thunder comp 2 and seem's to work great. I think it's up to way and the gun builder. You start getting to many opinions, and it will drive you crazy. Just go with what you think is the best......

Heck I didn't know we needed to post a picture. Here is my new build 9 major with Dawson DP-2, http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=788 softest flatest shooting gun in Texas, built by Chris now with Two Guys Gunsmithing. Its been hard chromed since the picture. And here pictured with its ugly twin http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=794 same Dawson Comp without the Todd Jarrett holes. Ugly twin with some of its prior comps, other barrels and top ends

http://www.brianenos...27&qpid=1384031 The ugly twin shoots very well but not as well as the new gun, there is a 1/2 oz difference in slide weight, the ugly twin slide weighs 10oz., The second barrel in the pic has a ThunderComp II and the 3rd an EGW, the shorty is a Brazos as well.

Not fair left off the Bedell http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=734 Notice the hole in top center of slide this goes all the way to the bore of the barrel Poppel Hole. This was necessary to flatten and soft the gun up (38SC) that and lots of gas from AA#7 or N105 at 10.5gr @ 175pf, nice soft and flat, drop to 10.3 gr and the gun flat sucks but makes 170pf. Slide weight is @10 oz naked.

For a no holes 9 major I prefer the Dawson, in 38SC I would put a Dawson on it. Did you ever hear of someone complaining that they had too much comp, well if you don't like flat and soft don't get one. The Brazos is better on a 9 major than 38SC where it needs a little hole help, see Bob's guns. The Bedell is the cheapest I'm sorry least expensive, the TI is the way to go the steel one is like a red snapper fishing weight. The Brazos is the lightest weight steel comp, I took one off to put a Dawson on, not looking back. The Bedell is a safe queen and the gun has a new Schueman barrel with you guessed it Dawson Awesome in 9 major, I spent $600 for the upgrade and it was worth every penny is shootability.

Edited to add powders I've tried in these guns with both 115gr and 124/5gr.

38SC, AA#7, N105, N350, HS6, 3N37, IMR7625, IMR4756, Power Pistol. Best with Bedell N105 second goes to AA#7.

9 Major Silhouette, HS6, 3N37, N350, AA#7, IMR7625, AutoComp. Best with Dawson or Brazos Silhouette second goes to AutoComp with HS6 a close third, the rest don't waste your time. Actually 9.0 gr of HS6 with a 115gr was real flat, little hard on the primers. In fact all 9 major loads will flatten a SPP primer. Then again its not major unless its 170pf or better. My highest crono run was at the Gator 184 pf, because Silhouette is reverse temp sensative, when it cools off it gets hot, I have since dropped 3 tenths.

Edited by CocoBolo

Thanks for the info guys.....starting to lean more and more towards 9 major and the Dawson comp. Although I also have a Bedell already, I can try it first and see how it does. 9 major is beginning to make more sense since I might have access to 9mm military once fired brass for next to nothing by the truckload.

Hello: Another option for you may be a STI Tru Bor barrel/comp setup. I am using this setup that is the series 2 model. I have also added 2 "Hill Hell Holes". It shoots very flat in major 9 and HS-6 powder. I will be trying some other powders soon. The Dawson comp is a little on the heavy side so if you like the pistol to transition quickly with less over swing it may not work for you. On the other side it may keep the front of the pistol down better? Just to add you can find most of those parts at Shooters Connection or Power Factor Shooting. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Another option for you may be a STI Tru Bor barrel/comp setup. I am using this setup that is the series 2 model. I have also added 2 "Hill Hell Holes". It shoots very flat in major 9 and HS-6 powder. I will be trying some other powders soon. The Dawson comp is a little on the heavy side so if you like the pistol to transition quickly with less over swing it may not work for you. On the other side it may keep the front of the pistol down better? Just to add you can find most of those parts at Shooters Connection or Power Factor Shooting. Thanks, Eric

Eric - THe Dawson weights more than the Brazos but less than a Bedell steel comp. Take that Tungsten guide rod out and put in a steel and its lighter, go to aluminum and even to carbon fiber you can adjust it. If you want to get down into the bushing barrel and cone comp weight zone you can flute the bull barrel. I don't see the weight as a big factor. Granted the TruBore weighs in a little less than a bull with comp due the the 1/2" of comp you don't need to screw on its built into the barrel. Get your gun running and try it, you will be impressed.

Eric are you still coming down to Corpus next Sunday for the Match?

Try the bedell and see if it works for you.

The only thing I have to add is that I prefer a comp that has side ports, the more the better. On open pistols that I have owned and shot that didn't have a sideport in the first chamber, I got a little more side to side than I like. You might give up a little flatness but I'll take a little more straight up and down anyday.

Eric, Do you have an indication as to when you might do this. I am really interested to see the comparison between the major contenders.