Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock modded

benjamin

I have an XDM that i will use as my production gun and i am going to buy the gen 4 34 when it comes out, but instead of ordering it getting it sent to me and then shipping it out to get modded, i just want it done all at the same time, someone suggested the glock store but basically

1. any suggestions on where to get it modded and if i can buy the gun from them at the same time.

2. what would you suggest getting done to it.. i am still learning and i don't want to get some things done and then wish i would have gotten something else done (i don't care about "looks" just what will help with shooting..)

3. any other advice is welcome

If you plan on using it as a production gun I would clean up the trigger parts (.25 cent trigger job) and maybe a glockworx or lone wolf trigger housing with the overtravel set screw. Also get a Jentra grip plug and change out the sights to the warren/sevigny type with fiber optic front. The Gen4 might not need grip tape but that's an option too. Lastly get a stainless guide rod and try the 13lb and 15lb ISMI recoil spring and figure out which one you like best. That should get you pretty much set. Maybe down the road when you know more about your trigger preferences you can look into the glockworx standard/vanek/glocktriggers. They're all a little different so try out each if you can.

Hello Benjamin! Welcome to the forum.

Since you have never fired the G34 or seen it for that matter I suggest you wait.

Practice with it for "at least" 1000 rounds as is. A nice set of sights may be all you want ultimately.

Glock, as it turns out smile.gif produces a pretty amazing gun right out of the box.

Jim

Since you have never fired the G34 or seen it for that matter I suggest you wait.

Practice with it for "at least" 1000 rounds as is. A nice set of sights may be all you want ultimately.

Glock, as it turns out smile.gif produces a pretty amazing gun right out of the box.

Jim

i know what you are saying, but i am not going to pay a hundred (or more) extra for shipping to get the gun and then put 1K though it and then ship it right back out 1 month later.... if i didn't have to pay for shipping i would do what you are suggesting..

Jesse, maybe you can help me because i don't fully understand the uspsa divisions... i don't want this gun to compete in open, but limited... not sure what i can mod and can't

Edited by benjamin

Jim

i know what you are saying, but i am not going to pay a hundred (or more) extra for shipping to get the gun and then put 1K though it and then ship it right back out 1 month later.... if i didn't have to pay for shipping i would do what you are suggesting..

Jesse, maybe you can help me because i don't fully understand the uspsa divisions... i don't want this gun to compete in open, but limited... not sure what i can mod and can't to have it compete there...

If you plan to use it for limited you gotta get a .40 caliber gun for hit factor reasons. A 9mm only counts for minor and .40 is major. You need a Glock 35 for limited division.

ahh, so what division is a modded 9mm in??

Open division but you have to use 9mm major to make major power factor. You can shoot a modified 9mm in Limited or Limited 10 you just wont get major power factor scoring which will make it really tough to win with. I have a G34 that is a limited gun that I use for Outlaw 3 gun because those matches don't use major/minor power factor.

Here is a picture of my G34 and G35. They are all built buy Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron.

G34Production3Gun.png

G35LimitedGun.jpg

Edited by jtischauser

You might want to save your money until you know what division you're going to shoot in. 9mm is really only good for production or outlaw 3 gun so modding the gun up might put you in a division you really don't want to shoot. And besides, as JMAN indicated, Glock's are ready to run right out of the box - just ask Dave Sevigny. :cheers:

I'm far from an expert on what to get/what not to get. Between the USPSA.org site and this forum you can get a wealth of info on the different USPSA divisions and also what works best for you based on equipment. I'm glad I did so because I would've ended up in Open division, getting creamed, and really not having fun had I went with my original plans.

Instead, I'm starting with a Gen4 G34 (once I can get one), no mods other than sights, shooting Production. After I do this for a good couple of years I may look into other divisions. Did you say you're already shooting Production with your XD?

Btw, my longer term goal is to shoot 3gun. Starting with Production to get minimal equipment, education on the rules, sorting out the best equipment to use, etc.

Edited by suesstech

I should mention that I shot about 3-4000 rounds through my G34 in production before I did any mods or bought my other Glocks. After that many rounds I knew I didn't like the slide bite and subsequent bleeding thumb. I also had a nice calus on my driving finger. So I knew my G35 needed a beavertail and undercut trigger guard. The mag release and magwell are no brainers for a limited gun. I started out using grip tape too but after shooting a summer filled with 100 degree temps and sweaty hands causing my grip tape slide around and get dull I decided to go with stippling.

I guess the only thing I really knew I wanted different from stock right away was the dawson sights. The stock glock sights are turds!

Edited by jtischauser

knock those crappy factory sights off into the nearest trash can, take out the extended slide release and replace with a regular one (unless you enjoy surprises!)

shoot 10000 rounds out of it

then decide what parts need to be changed

I would say just buy the gun and order the trigger and place it in yourself. A good vanek or "glocktriggers"(both vendors on this sight) make a drop in kit. Just make sure you ask for the correct one if production is your goal(if it has the pretravel removed, its not production legal). I also like the one with a jager extended tip striker. You can just order than and install it yourself and have no problems. It really is simple to put in and can be done with a 3/32 punch, and maby a tiny flat head screwdriver. Total time to install the trigger about 5 minutes.

New sights are also a nice thing to have. I always liked the dawson adj rear and the thin FO front

ahh, so what division is a modded 9mm in??

Open division but you have to use 9mm major to make major power factor. You can shoot a modified 9mm in Limited or Limited 10 you just wont get major power factor scoring which will make it really tough to win with. I have a G34 that is a limited gun that I use for Outlaw 3 gun because those matches don't use major/minor power factor.

Here is a picture of my G34 and G35. They are all built buy Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron.

G34Production3Gun.png

G35LimitedGun.jpg

Can the trigger guard be undercut and still qualify as a PRODUCTION pistol?

I would say just buy the gun and order the trigger and place it in yourself. A good vanek or "glocktriggers"(both vendors on this sight) make a drop in kit. Just make sure you ask for the correct one if production is your goal(if it has the pretravel removed, its not production legal). I also like the one with a jager extended tip striker. You can just order than and install it yourself and have no problems. It really is simple to put in and can be done with a 3/32 punch, and maby a tiny flat head screwdriver. Total time to install the trigger about 5 minutes.

New sights are also a nice thing to have. I always liked the dawson adj rear and the thin FO front

Sounds like good advice to me.