Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inconsistant OAL?

I am new to the 550b, so hopefully this is a simple question. I am getting varying OAL of around +/- .004, and it fluctuates through my run. I have everything setup as instructed and the dies are seated tight. I am using full stroke of the loader also. I am using RCBS dies, and using them in my single stage press, my OAL never changes. Is this normal/acceptable for progressive loaders, or am I missing something?

Is your shellplate snugged down so it is not flexing? If you have any play in the shellplate, you might want to re-read the section on adjusting it. Don't forget the set-screw on the SIDE of the main shaft. A whole lot of people have forgotten to loosen it before trying to adjust the shellplate bolt. Good luck and post back your results!

Brian

Your first few, and last few, will have different OALs also. When all four stations are not full, the OAL will vary, slightly, some times as much as .004. If you are getting .004 from round to round with all stations full, then there is another issue, like shellplate not being snug. Also, make sure you are using the correct seating die stem. The stem is two sided(ended), one end for FMJ/round nose, one for JHP. That could possibly make a difference as well.

One other thing to consider, when comparing OALs are you comparing same headstamps on the brass? Win vs Win, RP vs RP? If you are comparing different headstamps, you could get some fluctuations.

you can check the actual bullets themselves as well. bullets will vary slightly as well.

For our game (Im assuming your loading pistol here), .004 doesnt seem like that much of a difference to me. Drop them all through a case gage and see how they do. If they all pass, load'em up and shoot'em!

I am new to the 550b, so hopefully this is a simple question. I am getting varying OAL of around +/- .004, and it fluctuates through my run. I have everything setup as instructed and the dies are seated tight. I am using full stroke of the loader also. I am using RCBS dies, and using them in my single stage press, my OAL never changes. Is this normal/acceptable for progressive loaders, or am I missing something?

When you are tightening the die lock rings for their fiinal adjustments, do it with a full Shellplate and and with the handle all the way down. This will eliminate any OAL variables caused by die thread and Toolhead / frame tolerances.

Ahoy benos,

I'm 64 years old and a fairly new 4+year C type USPSA shooter. I'm curious about how much variation you've found / eliminated by tightening every thing in a "full load" condition. I'm also curious how much difference it makes to me, a trench level club shooter w/ neuropathy in the hands, failing eyes, frequent loss of focus and semi panic at the BEEP. My usual plan is to try to hit something before I get to slide lock. :surprise:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not a real good shot but I'm a helluva poser! :roflol:

It also could be the tool head moving in the press. Someone makes a fix for it (I forget who), where the holes for the pins in the top of the press that hold the tool head are drilled out, the tool head drilled out, and the bottom set of holes are tapped. Insert a screw and tighten the tool head, and it keeps it completely still.

Ahoy benos,

I'm 64 years old and a fairly new 4+year C type USPSA shooter. I'm curious about how much variation you've found / eliminated by tightening every thing in a "full load" condition.

By doing it that way, there was not enough variation that I ever cared about. .001" or .002' maybe, with good - Sierra or Nosler - bullets.

It also could be the tool head moving in the press. Someone makes a fix for it (I forget who), where the holes for the pins in the top of the press that hold the tool head are drilled out, the tool head drilled out, and the bottom set of holes are tapped. Insert a screw and tighten the tool head, and it keeps it completely still.

I loaded ammo tack driving ammo for national championships, in both rifle and pistol, by just doing the "full load" tightening. IMO the accuracy of that ammo could not have been improved upon.

be

Ahoy benos,

I'm 64 years old and a fairly new 4+year C type USPSA shooter. I'm curious about how much variation you've found / eliminated by tightening every thing in a "full load" condition.

By doing it that way, there was not enough variation that I ever cared about. .001" or .002' maybe, with good - Sierra or Nosler - bullets.

I loaded ammo tack driving ammo for national championships, in both rifle and pistol, by just doing the "full load" tightening. IMO the accuracy of that ammo could not have been improved upon.

be

I'm not saying that I've done this mod to my 550, as I don't see it as necessary either, but there is a mod for it if you want no OAL variations, which is just being a bit anal, IMO.

This reminds me of a question. Someone, sometime, someplace recommended using a second lock nut on the bottom of the die, so that it would be locked in place from both above and below. But I can't recall if this was for a Dillon or even if it was for a progressive press. Ring any bells?

This reminds me of a question. Someone, sometime, someplace recommended using a second lock nut on the bottom of the die, so that it would be locked in place from both above and below. But I can't recall if this was for a Dillon or even if it was for a progressive press. Ring any bells?

I've heard some do that on Dillon presses. But if you tighten the dies with the "full load" technique, I wouldn't think a second lock ring would improve things.

be

[/quote Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your posting-just have your answer- UniqueTek.com- makes toolheads and offers insert kits that you can install in your toolheads yourself..Have used both and they do what they clame to do.JoeA..