Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed Reloading Shotguns

Shooter Grrl

Okay guys I KNOW this has been discussed about a gazillion times, but I can NOT find it under any of the search topics I tried.

I've heard/seen at least 3 different ways of turning/holding the gun and where the ammo is stored... none of them work real well for little grrls with *not enough upper body strength*

Any suggestions?

Shooter Grrl,

Today my son and I participated in our first three-gun match. I had shot shotgun sidematches before but he had never done either (he is 23). He supprised me when the first time he reloaded, he knelt to the ground on one knee and laid the shotgun across his leg for support. He later started reloading by standing but your post reminded me of it as a way help control your gun while reloading. It may not be the fastest way to load but really only cost you the time to get down and up.

YMMV but I thought I would mention it.

dj

Roll the gun upside down and slide the buttstock up over your shooting shoulder, you can then load off a side saddle, Wrist band or bandolier. THe weight of the gun is on your shoulder and it returns fair quick to the shooting position.

Jim

During WWII, the big one, the German military did calisthenics with their rifles. That might get you a bit more upper body strength.... kinda like Matt Burkett suggesting you should hold your gun stronghand and weakhand in firing position each day for as long as you can hold it steadily...

Kathy,

I am going to recommend the Choate 6 shell trays and loading from your belt because they are easy to learn to grab more than one at a time from, and nothing else (except speedloader's) is going to speed loading up like getting more than one shell at a time into your mitt's will.

The added advantage of the Choate belt trays is the options that they give you in loading style. You can go the pistol grip stock routine and weakhand load like Taran (Kurtm can do it without the pistol grip), or you can roll, flip, or whatever while you stronghand load and the Choate's will still let you grab at least 2 at a time (or more compared to sidesaddles). I also like a Two Pack holder right in front of the ejection port, but I don't like ammo on the gun anywhere else. A lot of ammo on the gun will change the way it handles noticeably (for the worse IMHO).

--

Regards,

Roll the gun upside down and slide the buttstock up over your shooting shoulder, you can then load off a side saddle, Wrist band or bandolier. THe weight of the gun is on your shoulder and it returns fair quick to the shooting position.

Another option with the "roll & burn" technique is to sort of trap the stock (upside down as above) under your strong side arm, but that does limit your arm's mobility a bit and could be a problem if you have short arms (as I do).

I think it might help to experiment with holding the gun at different places with your support hand after the "roll" (and during the "burn" :lol: ). Having the gun balanced fore and aft might make it easier to hold while shucking those shells into it.

If possible, you might also try keeping the support arm locked into your body as much as you can to help support the weight of the gun. That would make a big difference over just trying to hold it in your hand away from your torso.

Get a batters glove and use it. I blistered (pretty bad too) my palm last year with a glove in my back pocket. :angry:

I think this is a good idea. ;)

Get the 3-Gun Gear sidesaddle and the 2 round Slide Lock Pac. M1S90-2pac.jpg

Very handy ;)

You can go the pistol grip stock routine and weakhand load like Taran (Kurtm can do it without the pistol grip)

Geoff is that where they just hold it still and stuff them in from underneath with the left hand? I like that one, but I don't have a pistol grip and again because of the "less than optimal" upper arm strength I can only hold it long enough to stuff about 5 rounds in :)

I guess I should also mention that I have limited use of my left arm due to a shoulder injury - hopefully once that gets fixed this will get easier.

Shooter Grrl,

yep it is where you keep it in the aim and simply grab 3 or 4 depending on hand size and being nimble fingered push them in one by one. There was an article in FS last year where they showed you how Taran does it. He lowers the gun under his armpit to ease the weight and uses that as support where as Kurt keeps it in the shoulder.

After Kurt destroyed all the competition at ESC last year I have practised hard at this method but when you master it you will never look back.

(shoot 1,load 4,shoot 1 - under 4 secs !!! I kid you not !)

Good luck

Mike

Geoff is that where they just hold it still and stuff them in from underneath with the left hand?

Yeah, it's an awesomely fast method compared to anything else if you can do it. The pistol grip makes it a lot easier, but it is still not that easy.

There is a hybrid stronghand loading method I use that allows you to roll the shotgun with your left hand still gripping the forend without the entire weight of the shotgun dangling from the weakhand (that way you won't need a glove for barrel heat reasons which can be a pain in multi-gun stuff). By using a Tac sling (like the V-Tac) which attaches at the top of the butt stock you can take the weight of the shotgun off the weak hand. With the sling loosely looped around the left arm (hasty sling style), you roll and pull the whole shebang back in towards you with the weak hand letting the sling tighten up and press in above your stomach and right hip area with the barrel slightly up and forward to the left. As the sling tightens against you and takes the weight, release the grip with the stronghand and start grabbing shells. This completely supports the shotgun with very little of the weight being carried by the weak hand. This also puts the loading gate right above where the Choate trays are on my belt. The re-mount is basically an un-roll forward with the weakhand as you lift the butt right back up into position with the stronghand. The sling is always loose when you are mounted and shooting and only tightens when you roll it back into you. No problems crouching either if the tension is set loose enough. IMHO,it's a fast way to stronghand load without a Flip-N-Burn, or a shoulder prop move like the Idaho Slide.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

Shooter Grrl,

I worked with the weakhand method and finally gave it up due to physical and visual limitations. After experimenting with a number of methods, I found that something similar to the one described by Jim Norman to be best for me. Instead of rolling it upside down ,though, I leave it on its side and slide the shotgun rearward, as my right hand moves to the side-saddle. This position gives me a solid base and a clear view of the loading gate, side-saddle and the stage. No stress at all on the shoulder, arms or neck. With just a little practice, you'll rarely fumble a reload. Another benefit is that the muzzle stays pointed at the targets and at eye level. As the last round is loaded, simply push the muzzle toward the target as you roll the shotgun into the shoulder and squeeze the trigger. As Jim mentioned, your strong hand has full access to the shells whether you're using a side-saddle, wrist band or Choate speed feed on the belt. Nothing to get in the way. This is the fastest method that I've been able to master.

It's the "Cats Meow" :D