Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Integrity

lumpygravy

So it's a practice day at the range and folks are having fun taking their turns, throwing bullets downrange on a practice field course.

One gent, not a noob, steps into the box for his first run and before receiving the "Make Ready" command, unholsters his gun. Instantly realising his mistake, he DQs himself. This gent is well known at this range and amidst crys of "It's only practice!!" and "I didn't see anything!!" from the peanut gallery, said gent retires himself for the day.

He later explained to another shooter the importance and the reasoning of his self DQ and this provided an important lesson to all within earshot. I'm paraphrasing: "There can be no exceptions to saftey. If I was allowed to shoot, what about the next guy who gets DQ'd and says well "so-and-so" didn't get DQ'd for the same offense?"

In the years that I've been in this sport, I've seen many try to rationalise or somehow justify their way out of a DQ. This is the first I've seen someone self DQ and turn the unfortunate incident into a learning experience for other, less experienced shooters.

Sir: you frequent this forum from time to time and you know who you are. All I can say is "Cheers" for doing what you did. I hope to conduct myself with half the integrity you displayed.

:cheers:

I was working an off duty detail yesterday and I had a gentleman turn in three extra VIP passes his company paid for to a huge festival in the bay area because his guests couldn't make it. Renewed my faith in humanity...

Then, a few minutes later a woman tried to steal one to get her friend in and ruined it all <_<

Still... I applaud your friends integrity :cheers:

Edited by dsmw5142

DQ'd at practice? Tough crowd.

Just to clarify: it was the "crowd" that wanted him to stay and shoot.

He is an accomplished shooter and I and others could learn much from watching him practice and I'm sure we will in the future. Though he didn't plan on it, he just had a lesson of a different subject for that day.