Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Checkering topstrap and trigger guard of a revolver

Matt Griffin

Reading the rules, checkering is allowed in the semiauto definitions, but is not mentioned in the revolver definitions. I would like to checker my sight tang and the bottom of the trigger guard, as this aids my grip during a reload. Would this be allowed?

Also as to hammers, it seems you can cut as much as you want, is this correct?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt

I have had a few conversations with Robert Ray of IDPA HQ about what can be done to revolvers, it always comes down to the inclusive list of allowed modifications listed in the rulebook. Since it's an inclusive list it means that if what you want to do is not included on the list, you can't do it. Bottom line is no checkering or engraving is allowed. The pistol divisions say that you can use grip or skateboard tape but it is not on the allowed modifications for revolver, I don't know if that was by design or an omission. I would ask for a clarification from HQ on skate tape for revolvers.

You can cut away on your hammer all you want but do not remove the locking portion if you have a lock gun since the lock must function.

Matt,

If I am following correctly, it sounds like a S&W model 27 would solve 1/2 of your problem. The top is checkered from the factory.

You would need light grips (as I recall) to make weight though.

Plus they are uber cool.

Dave

Actually a lot of the more accomplished revolver shooters - Jerry Miculek, for instance - like smooth grips without any hint of texturing. There's can be a lot more gun movement in the hand required to speedload a revolver than an auto, and a smooth grip allows the gun to be moved quite a bit faster and more smoothly.

Actually a lot of the more accomplished revolver shooters - Jerry Miculek, for instance - like smooth grips without any hint of texturing. There's can be a lot more gun movement in the hand required to speedload a revolver than an auto, and a smooth grip allows the gun to be moved quite a bit faster and more smoothly.

We haven't met, have we? ;)

That is funny. :D

Well it's not like you actually beat Jerry :roflol: Maybe if you had smooth grips you would have got the extra couple points? I've got to go send some guy named Dave Sevigny tips on how to make his Glock run better.

Duane, when you get a chance open up your latest copy of Front Sight and you can read up a bit on Mr. Griffin. Also the last couple times I've seen Jerry with a wheel gun he hasn't been using his smooth wood grips. He's been using rubber grips. Last time I talked to him he said they were off the Smith X Frame becuase his hands were giving him troubles.

Is HE that guy that wears the straw when he compets--naw--now that I think about he ain't the one :roflol::roflol:

That video is two years old, here's one just a bit faster:

http://www.griffinshooting.com/2010/08/new-reload-video.html#links

Anyway, of course Jerry is the best ever, but his using smooth grips doesn't mean others can't find a use for skate tape, so I think they should allow it on revolvers just like they do on semis.

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, I do see where I intentionally get a better grip on the gun coming off the reload whereas Jerry likely just grabs the thing and squirms it into place on the way up. Maybe if I slicked up my strong-hand side but left the weak-hand taped . . . Thanks Duane!

H.

Edited by Matt Griffin

Anyway, of course Jerry is the best ever, but his using smooth grips doesn't mean others can't find a use for skate tape, so I think they should allow it on revolvers just like they do on semis.

Jerry was talking about the ability to correct the grip during the presentation in one of his videos. I think it was ultimate advanced revolver.

Matt, you are a pioneer of sorts also and as Jerry has revived the Revolver after McGivern you have come up with a way to manipulate with great speed and efficiency equipment that wasn't designed for lefties. :bow:

Look before that leap eh? :roflol:

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, I do see where I intentionally get a better grip on the gun coming off the reload whereas Jerry likely just grabs the thing and squirms it into place on the way up. Maybe if I slicked up my strong-hand side but left the weak-hand taped . . . Thanks Duane!

Thank you, Matt. Though your skill with a revolver is so far beyond mine, I am hardly the one to be giving you tips on how to manipulate a revolver.

Bah, that's the kind of thinking that causes stagnation. Anyone can come up with a good idea, it's up to us to recognize it. I'll post a picture if I can work up something I like. Lord knows messing with my grips is fast becoming a more time-consuming hobby than the actual shooting.

Matt

Edited by Matt Griffin

• 2 weeks later...