Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Springfield 1911's

Tattoo

Hello All,

I have a 16 year old Springfield that has worked great.

I just got a NEW Springfield Champion.

I keep hearing about the "inferior" small parts ( MIM?) on new Springfields ( and other guns ) and wondered if

guys had any input on what should be replaced for reliability? I really do not want to wait for it to fail if there are common parts that fail and should be upgraded? Thanks.

T

Edited by Tattoo

I have about 6 Springfield 1911's and the only thing I replaced was the mainspring housing with the ILS. I have yet to have any trouble out of any of the "MIM" parts.

Now, I have replaced some parts just because I prefer their feel, mostly beavertail grip safeties/commander hammers and extended thumb safeties.

Well thats good to hear. My old gun was plain GI and I had to add everything to it.

But I got good stuff and what I wanted. This new gun is a Loaded champion and I

do not know what I may change to make it feel right.... if anything. But I had heard

a buddy talk about a couple parts breaking. I think he said the slide stop! Anyway

I am going to carry it and just want to make sure its going to run. I plan on shooting

at least 500 rounds thru it before carrying it. I guess I will find out how it works......

T

I doubt a 16yo Springfield will have any MIM in it.

No Rick it does not. I just got a brand NEW Springfield loaded gun to carry. That is the gun

I am talking about changing parts on if needed. Old gun is my SS gun.

Well that sounds great guys. I really have been impressed by my old gun and their

customer service. Thats why I bought another one. Should be at my FFL tomorrow and I

plan on putting a big dent in that first 500 rounds tomorrow. Thanks again.

T

I've had one of the hammer hooks break on the Springfield spur hammer on one of mine. Otherwise, I just changed parts to what I wanted rather than what I thought would break.

If this Champion is for carry then personally I would get rid of the ILS mainspring housing, slide stop and the hammer/sear. Replace with EGW parts. Just my opinion. I know it would set my mind at ease while carrying a cocked and locked 1911 for those parts to be machined. Otherwise, I would only change a part if it showed unusual wear during break-in or if I just preferred a different part.

But, I won't go so far as to say you have to change out anything.

Chris

I've had one of the hammer hooks break on the Springfield spur hammer on one of mine. Otherwise, I just changed parts to what I wanted rather than what I thought would break.

If this Champion is for carry then personally I would get rid of the ILS mainspring housing, slide stop and the hammer/sear. Replace with EGW parts. Just my opinion. I know it would set my mind at ease while carrying a cocked and locked 1911 for those parts to be machined. Otherwise, I would only change a part if it showed unusual wear during break-in or if I just preferred a different part.

But, I won't go so far as to say you have to change out anything.

Chris

Chris.... thanks for your input. I think I am going to shoot it to break it in for 500

or so rounds and tsee what happens. The ILS is coming out for sure and the rear Novak

for a WTS rear. Also a 10-8 mag release. I will look into EGW parts too. Good choice.

I have only got 200 rounds thru it so far. But they have all been flawless. No issues

except that the roll pin in the front sight keep working its way out as I shoot. Locktite

may be all it needs. Here is a Pic of it. Lightweight OD green Champion. I call it.... The Green Hornet. :D

1296255793519.jpg

First 7 round mag at 10 yards....... sights need to be moved right too.....

1296256148731.jpg

Edited by Tattoo

replace the parts that break.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the title of this thread.

Well I am with you guys now. I am just going to replace the rear sight w/ a

Warren Tactical because I like the sight picture. And slim grips to fit my

hand better. Trigger is at 6 lbs, but crisp.

Then we will see what breaks.

T

Yeah I put a 10-8 rear sight on my daily carry EMP. I also lightened the trigger by tweaking the sear spring a bit and installed a flat trigger. 6 lbs is a little much but a carry gun doesn't have to be super light either.

Yeah I was thinking a little sear spring tweak was in order too. And all my other

guns have a flat trigger too. May have to change it just to make them all the same...

T