Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550B damage

How did I not notice this? Any input, how to fix? Is it bad enough to replace parts, or just fix it and keep loading up? I only do pistol stuff (99% 9x19, 40 & 45). Approx. round count on 10 year old machine (original owner) is 30-40K. Thanks for any input, Nate

post-14589-072844000 1296147646_thumb.jp

How did I not notice this? Any input, how to fix? Is it bad enough to replace parts, or just fix it and keep loading up? I only do pistol stuff (99% 9x19, 40 & 45). Approx. round count on 10 year old machine (original owner) is 30-40K. Thanks for any input, Nate

Drive the bugger back in, lock it down somehow, and keep loading. If it breaks, then send it back to Dillon. Or send Dillon a pm on here with the link to the thread, they may replace it for free now. Me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It may be bent/chipped/scratched, etc., but it ain't broke...Load on!

Here's Dillon's profile... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showuser=548

There is a set screw that goes into the bottom of the shaft to secure this pin in place. Center the pin, tighten the set screw, then back it out 1/8 turn.The damage to the link arm, while unsightly, isn't severe enough to warrant replacing it. The damage isn't structural.

There is a set screw that goes into the bottom of the shaft to secure this pin in place. Center the pin, tighten the set screw, then back it out 1/8 turn.The damage to the link arm, while unsightly, isn't severe enough to warrant replacing it. The damage isn't structural.

Thanks for input on fixes. I also noticed the shellplate not advancing smoothly. It seems to 'catch' on something and requires much more effort to rotate. Once if breaks free, it will rotate freely for a complete rotation or so before getting stuck again. The shellplate retention bolt seems to be scored by the shellplate advancer. Could this cause the issue? Would simply buffing down the bolt fix it? Lube has barely helped the issue. Thanks again.

Try this. First loosen the set screw until it is almost free. Then unloosen the shellplate bolt a little bit at a time until the shellplate rotates freely. Then go back to the set screw and tighten it as described above.

The shellplate rotates freely most of the time now. It does not feel like the shellplate retaining bolt is too tight. That causes a more consistant tension. This is only intermitent 'catching' of the shellplate. I will try to buff it out, then contact Dillon if that doesn't work. Thanks for the input.

It sounds like some galling in the recess in the top of the index sprocket.Use grease on the underside of the head of the shellplate bolt, and deburr as needed. The bolt should be fine.

Thanks for the note on the set screw above. That seems to have worked. I will try some compound and a Dremel to smooth it. If that doesn't work, how do I get a new shellplate bolt and index sprocket?

Thanks all.

• 2 months later...

Got the new bolt yesterday. Should get to test it tonight. Thanks for great Dillon service.

If the parts won't free up, phone or drop us an e-mail with an address so we can mail replacements.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got to load up a few hundred this week and it is running like a top again. Thanks to Dillon.

Got the new bolt yesterday. Should get to test it tonight. Thanks for great Dillon service.

If the parts won't free up, phone or drop us an e-mail with an address so we can mail replacements.

Thank you.

After reading this...and all the good things about the Dillon machines and how they take care of their customers...I have decided to drink the "blue koolaid". I got rid of the Red LNL-AP and the Green Pro-2000....and just ordered a new XL650 from Brian. I have been loading for 36 years, and used Dillon dies for the past 5 years in all my presses. Guess it was time to make the switch to all blue equipment!

After reading this...and all the good things about the Dillon machines and how they take care of their customers...I have decided to drink the "blue koolaid". I got rid of the Red LNL-AP and the Green Pro-2000....and just ordered a new XL650 from Brian. I have been loading for 36 years, and used Dillon dies for the past 5 years in all my presses. Guess it was time to make the switch to all blue equipment!

You will NOT be sorry. Great presses, great customer service. Enjoy!