Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Bianchi Cup

clintreich

This will be my first year at the Bianchi Cup(2011) and i was wondering what the atmosphere was like for the new guys. I would like to get some pointers and help from the experienced guys without being a pain in the you know what. i realize that this is a very serious competition for most so i wasnt sure if there were times when the new guys could talk with the Pro's. Thanks Guys

Edited by clintreich

Do your best to stay at the match hotel. Or, at least come there each evening. The NRA has a get together of some sort each night. All the big dogs are great people and very approachable. There are also a ton of great people and great shooters that you don't always hear about on TV or in the magazines. They are also very approachable and helpful.

The NRA seems to go the extra yard trying to keep the atmosphere at this match more than just a competition. It is a 4 day get together for firearms enthusiasts as well. You will love it.

Chris

It's my opinion that you won't find a friendlier bunch. The first year is when you can have the most fun. The expectations are not that high and at the same time you are nervous as hell.

There is usually a new competitor briefing on Tuesday night where you will get to talk to some of the veterans. As far as talking to some shooters is concerned, the thing you have to remember is that this is our hobby and their job. After they are done shooting is fine but not when they are preparing.

Bring plenty of ammo. When you are not shooting at the main range, spend your time at the practice range. This is where you'll meet everyone. The atmosphere is pretty laid back there. While at the main range, most are a little uptight unless they just came off the line.

Look me up. I'll be competitor #3.

Had my first time last year, and it was a blast. Having an open gun built(almost done!), and going back!

Chris is right, hang out at the match hotel of an evening. Its a good time, and drinks are cheap.. :cheers:

I didnt stay there last year, but that doesnt keep you from enjoying the festivities. Quite a few stay at the extended stay across the highway where you have a mini kitchen and can cook for yourself if you want.

As far as talking to some shooters is concerned, the thing you have to remember is that this is our hobby and their job. After they are done shooting is fine but not when they are preparing.

Have you ever taken someone along with you? what i mean is, i would love to tag along with an experienced shooter to the match, kindof an apprentice if you will. Not that I am asking you personally, but have you seen or heard of anybody doing this. I am from Oklahoma and would love to tag along with someone who has "been there done that" several times. what do you think?

Have you ever taken someone along with you? what i mean is, i would love to tag along with an experienced shooter to the match, kindof an apprentice if you will. Not that I am asking you personally, but have you seen or heard of anybody doing this. I am from Oklahoma and would love to tag along with someone who has "been there done that" several times. what do you think?

I have been on both sides of this. My first year was 2000 and I begged a shooter to go with me that had been there before. He and I were the only ones to go from our area. In 2004 that changed quite a bit. We now have quite a clan.

I also have an apprentice that I first met when he was 9 years old. He's almost 22 now. He's now kicking my butt every now and then. It's getting more and more often as I get older.

If you are going by yourself then we can hook you up with someone that can show you the ropes. I say that because we have to have someone on nearly the same shooting schedule that you are on. That way we can all utilize the practice range as much as possible.

What are you shooting (Open, Met. or Prod)? What kind of gun are you shooting? The reason I ask is so we can get you as prepared as possible before you get there. Do you have a range to shoot A/P?

I have been on both sides of this. My first year was 2000 and I begged a shooter to go with me that had been there before. He and I were the only ones to go from our area. In 2004 that changed quite a bit. We now have quite a clan.

I also have an apprentice that I first met when he was 9 years old. He's almost 22 now. He's now kicking my butt every now and then. It's getting more and more often as I get older.

If you are going by yourself then we can hook you up with someone that can show you the ropes. I say that because we have to have someone on nearly the same shooting schedule that you are on. That way we can all utilize the practice range as much as possible.

What are you shooting (Open, Met. or Prod)? What kind of gun are you shooting? The reason I ask is so we can get you as prepared as possible before you get there. Do you have a range to shoot A/P?

I will be shooting Met. shooting a SW1911DK in .45. As for a range, i live in OKC and there is a range 20 miles away in Shawnee.

Just a suggestion from someone who has done this a few years (1985). This game is really difficult with 45 acp. Recoil on the barricade, leads on the mover are off the target at the back yardages, and point of impact from 10 to 50 yards needs to be addressed as you move back. 38 super, 38 spl, 9mm are the popular calibers, but don't let it stop you if all you have is a 45, this game was originally designed around the 45!

Kim

Edited by kimmbeckwith

Actually, if I had been shooting a 45 a few years ago at Bianchi, that 8 on the mover would have been a 10.

Clint,

Get your components and start loading. Get out to the range and accuracy test. Take the load that shoots the best and shoot the heck out of it to make sure the gun is 100% reliable with it. Then, while you are doing that, know exactly where you must aim to hit the x ring at all distances. This includes standing and prone. Get used to the time limits and concentrate on that front sight. If you have a fiber optic front sight, change it to a ramped and serrated front that shows just a little light on either side when viewed through the rear sight.

My Met. gun has an Aristcrat tri set rear so I have it set for a 6 o'clock hold for all distances. I don't remember what kind of sight the DK model has but if it is adjustable then you can do the same thing by counting clicks.

We don't have a holster limitation in Met. so be sure to use a race holster. The faster the gun gets on target the more time you have to fire the shots.

Okay, time to get moving so get to work.:surprise:

Kevin,

How big would you have had to go to get an X??

Clint,

Shooting with a 45 is great fun, and for your first go, bring what you got. After that if you want to get serious you can step up to something more competitive, take it slowly and see what works for you. There is a match in Bates City the week before the Cup, it may be an idea to front up there and see how you are fixed. A little late to fix a serious issue, but it will give you a heads up on the processes.

Do you have to qualify to shoot at the Bianchi Cup or just pay a match fee? I don't know anything outside of USPSA I just have family a couple of hours from there. Might do it one year.

I am considering shooting it this year also for the first time. For me it's deciding

which pistol to use...the really accurate one that takes a bit more concentration to shoot or the

fairly accurate one that is easy to shoot. I also haven't decided if I will shoot

Metallic or Production but either pistol will work.

Craig

I am considering shooting it this year also for the first time. For me it's deciding

which pistol to use...the really accurate one that takes a bit more concentration to shoot or the

fairly accurate one that is easy to shoot. I also haven't decided if I will shoot

Craig

Production pays to 50th place.. metallic only 20th.. i shot production last year(like crap) and still almost got my entry $ back. Just something to think about.

Open for me this year.. :devil:

Craig

Production pays to 50th place.. metallic only 20th.. i shot production last year(like crap) and still almost got my entry $ back. Just something to think about.

OT: Jeremy, is your Open gun ready yet? I think I'd want at least 4000 round through it before relying on it at the Cup.

Chris

Craig

OT: Jeremy, is your Open gun ready yet? I think I'd want at least 4000 round through it before relying on it at the Cup.

Chris

Supposed to be pretty close. Thats a good target, I think I have at least 6K Zero's and 5K Federal SPP just for AP in the closet to get me through May. Just need to load test and decide on a powder as soon as its ready. Wanna help load ? :goof:

I had over that through my 1911 before the Cup last year, but still had a malf on the plates.. :blink:

Edited by DWFAN

DW, what caliber are you running?

From what you've posted, I figure it's Super or 9mm. If it's a Super or 9X23, try 4.5-4.7gr WST for a soft shooting and accurate load behind either a 115 or 124-125 gr bullet. Easily makes PF and works in about 95% of the guns we've run it in.

Sorry for the thread drift!

Alan~^~

I shot my first Bianchi Cup in 2009, the first year that Production was an official championship division. It was a really great experience, and I have to echo everyone that says "stay at the match HQ hotel". Also, make sure you attend the new shooter's orientation meeting; I did my first year and it really was valuable. The little things you learn there like "put your gun in the bag at the end of the stage", etc.

I'll be back in 2011 shooting production with my IDPA SSR rig; I thought about getting a six inch gun, but I honestly can't get it out of the holster nearly as fast as my 4 inch 686. I figure at the very least I can beat my score from 2009.

Actually, if I had been shooting a 45 a few years ago at Bianchi, that 8 on the mover would have been a 10.

Kevin, I can still picture that hole in the target. If only you could carry your own targets the the score shed. You would have won easily LMAO

Kevin,

If I had that target hanging in the wall for 360days before the next match, I am not sure it would be a good thing, some would say it would be character building. I am not so sure.

I have a couple of targets I have kept over the years. One with a skid all but 2inches at each side of the target. Metallic Sight Barricade 35y, ran out of time last shot, so I just aimed nice and careful and let go. I was surprised I actually hit the thing. I was so pissed at running out of time.