Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 recoil spring

gmg

Has anyone had to replace recoil spring in their 1100? My old 1100 does not want to fully eject hull. I have replaced o-rings and piston seals but this has not cured the problem. Need some help on what to do bad. Thanks

I did it with my 1100 that has had many rounds through it in it's life. I was a skeet gun and got shot on a weekly basis when I bought it in the 80's and have used it for skeet/hunting/3 gun since then.

I wasn't having issues but decided to take it out and clean it and the tube and re lube it. It is easy to take the cap off the end of the tube after removing the stock. I found my gun had been fired so much the outer diameter of the spring had actually been worn flat. I cleand the spring tube and replaced the spring with a new and figured I will never need a new one.

Bottom line, easy to do and cheap insurance.

Neal in AZ

What kind of shells are you using. I have seen some of the cheap ones stick more in the chamber which can cause it to have ejection problems. Making sure the chamber is clean can fix it. I have seen it quite a bit with the winchester 4pack the worse

i am using Rio shells 31/4dr by 11/8 oz shot. there are not cheapo shells. i can shoot 2-3 shots then hang one up, shoot 3-4 then hang one up and then i reach up and snatch it out and keep going. very frustrating. i ordered a new recoil spring from Wolff yesterday so we'll see if that helps

Jim, what kind of strange things have you encountered with yours?

i sure do appreciate ya'll responding. maybe with ya'lls help we can get this thing running.

With a weak mag spring, it will typically lay the shell on the carrier and not close up since it dosen't push the shell out quick enough to trip the lever. First thing I would check is make sure the chamber is clean. An old brush with steel wool wrapped around it on a drill in the chamber, or a good chamber brush can clean the chamber. Are the Rios still made with the higher brass like they use to be? Are the bases actual brass or brass plated steel (magnet test) I would also try a box of remington STS 1 1/8 3 dram. Typically that round will feed and eject the best with the smooth case.

The Rio shells he is using are equal to the AA Superhandicaps - 1 1/8 oz @ 1250 fps. They should run the gun w/o any issues as far as ammo goes. You might give it a try with a different shell and see if it makes a difference.

One other place to look is the make sure that the bolt assembly is clean, nothing broken or cracked.

i ordered a new recoil spring from wolff and cleaned out spring housing. i also bought some of those remington shells that say 1300 fps and 11/8 oz shot. the spring has not come in yet but loaded up 8 rds (extended tube) and all 8 rds cycled. still don't know if problem is cured yet. thanks for ya'lls advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Eku. I used an 1100 CT for trap shooting for 1 year, around 12k rounds, and it did the same thing even with regular maintenance and cleaning. Turned our my method of cleaning the gas ports wasn't working well and when I shoved a paper clip through them I dug out enough Green Dot to make 2 or 3 more shells. Check your ports if the new spring doesn't cure it.

• 1 year later...

Hey folks, I just bought a used 1100, my first autoloader. It's chambered for 3" mags but I was told I could adjust the recoil spring for 23/4" loads. Is this possible or do I need to get a recoil system for the lighter loads? And I assume that I can't use the 3" mags without switching back, is this correct?

The 1100 has only one gas port hole in the 3 inch barrel and 2 in the 2 3/4. changing the recoil spring really wont make a difference. you chould try hot loads in your barrel or simply add a second 2 3/4 barrel and use that for light loads and the original 3 inch barrel for heavy ones

• 4 weeks later...

My 1100 has the "Thin wall" barrel, nice and light, easy to swing. It's threaded to use Colonial sporting clays chokes for easy changing. Good price, too. It, too, is a two hole gas barrel with a lenghtened forcing cone. Favorite load is 1oz 71/2 shot, 17.6 Clays in AA hulls.

Edited by Mike Morcillo

• 9 months later...

I know this thread is old but since I was looking around here for anything 1100, I thought I would share a tip I do on my 1100's. I polish the crap out of the inside of the recoil spring tube. I simply use a long shaft of a cleaning rod and brush with steel wool and polishing compound, then go with the steel wool and oil to clean it out good until a mirror finish. Buff the outside of the spring if necessary and apply a good gun grease. I also polish the action rails and rail tracks in the receiver. Then buff the magazine tube inside and out also. On my latest 1100 tac4 Im building for 3gun, it made a world of difference in the action. Always change your O-rings also and check those piston rings if your having cycling issues. Im running light targets loads now with no problems.

Edited by Mike Bell