Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hands through a "port" / window

Don Springer

Last night, at our weekly match, we had a new guy show up. Brought all the right gear. Knowledgeable and a great shooter. We had a stage with a port / window in it and he made mention that there was a new rule on the IDPA web site that stated sticking the weapon or the shooters hands through the port was an FTDR. I've used Adobe to search the rule book and addendum. I've searched the IDPA forum on their site and I've run a search here and can find no such rule. I'm by no means calling him a liar I just want to make sure my club is familiar with the rule and in order to do so I need to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks in advance for any help.

No such rule exists in the book. This comes from some tactical school somewhere I guess. A few years back the Louisiana state match was run with that rule for every stage for ports and barricades. I don't remember what the penalty was but it may have been FTDR. It was explained in the walk through for each stage that it would be a penalty. I suppose that if it was part of the written instructions for the COF then you could argue that it was OK to enforce as part of the COF. The folks running the match said that they caught so much crap from shooters about the COF rule that they would not be doing it again. That was the first time I ran into that type of COF rule. I just did as they asked, I don't care what they want so long as I know ahead of time how I'll be scored.

This appears in the addendum and is probably what he is referring to: "At no time should a competitor stand directly in a window or

port to engage targets. Competitors must slice the pie around

the edge of the window or port."

Edited by The_Vigilante

COF descriptions should not be used to create a new game or new rules. It is either an IDPA sanctioned match using IDPA rules or it is not. It makes you wonder if these tings were in the stage designs they sent to the AC for approval.

This appears in the addendum and is probably what he is referring to: "At no time should a competitor stand directly in a “window” or

port to engage targets. Competitors must “slice the pie” around

the edge of the “window” or port."

That may be what the guy was referring to but it's definitely not what the addendum means. Prior to this rule modification- shooters would often stand directly in front of the window/port- with the assumption they were using proper cover. This addendum requires shooters to slide the pie from any port or window- you can't "stand" directly in front of the port/window. Regardless- this says nothing about requiring the muzzle/gun to be outside the port. No FTDR at all if the muzzle is through the port/window!

This appears in the addendum and is probably what he is referring to: "At no time should a competitor stand directly in a “window” or

port to engage targets. Competitors must “slice the pie” around

the edge of the “window” or port."

Yea as far as I could tell that's the only reference to a port in the addendum at all. He had also made mention of this clarification on standing in front of a window so I don't think this is what he was referring to. :wacko: I just wanna make sure we are current on our rules.

I got dinged for this twice in a local non-sanctioned "IDPA-ish" match here in St Pete. I don't push the gun through the port often in USPSA simply due to the speed element, but I often FINISH as close to the target as the COF allows... Two stages finished in ports... I got two procedurals... I pointed out that it seems to be nowhere in the rules either, but these guys run WAY outside the rules all the time. When in Rome...

Jeff

When in Rome....don't shoot their matches. At least that's my approach. :lol:

Some folks at actual IDPA clubs, with all the best intentions in the world, do occasionally let their own interpretation of the rules add to what are actually, y'know, the rules. But I do try to stay away from "IDPA-ish" matches. As I've heard it said, "If you want to run your matches under Joe's rules, start Joe-PDA, not Joe's version of IDPA."

Good point, the rules should be the same at every match, like them or not, it keeps us all on the same page. As far as ports, not really a good idea to go through with gun/hands, seen many get caught up and waste time, and then again there is the "Tactical" reason not to.

I also concur with what has already been said on the subject. The first I heard of this "rule" was a fellow shooter from our club shot a sanctioned match in Florida and was dinged for this. It then came up later in the LA state match.

This is the type of issues that come up, hopefully get clarified now by HQ and we all get to shoot by the same rules across the world. Not every issue needs to be clarified, BUT.....if over the years the same problem comes up in different areas of the country, then clarification should address the issue.

We are all big boys, but even big boys need direction. Think not????? Ask any of our wifes, daughters and/or girlfriends.

Garry N