Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 19-3

Merlin Orr

Just picked up my "new" 19-3 x 4" and am wondering if I should chamfer it and use it for IDPA or stick with my already tricked out 686...

The 19-3 is recessed for the cartridge rims and I am wondering if this will be a problem if I put a big chamfer....

If I don't use it for competition ..... I think it might still fit in my nightstand for a home defense gun - if I arrange the others already there really carefully...

1154258856_b9CPZ-M.jpg

Edited by Merlin Orr

Your 19-3 sounds sweet. IMHO, though, it's neigh impossible to predict a priori which you'll actually shoot and reload better under match conditions. Before doing anything to it, I'd first spend some time doing dry reloading drills to see if you do better with it. Then take it to the range and shoot some mock stages to see if you can shoot and control it as well as your 686. Or more to the point, try shooting a match or 2 with it.

Personally, I love everything about k-frames, and predicted a k-frame would be a better SSR gun for me than my 686. Turned out not to be so. Who'da thunk? :wacko:

I'd stick with the 686 for competition. It may take more abuse than the 19.

Do you have one of those vertical handgun racks in your nightstand drawer? How long does it take to pick which gun you want to use when you hear that bump in the night? :roflol:

Chris

One of my buds told me to go with the non recessed cylinder as it would work a little better than the 19 does. Another thing I am thinking is I have Big hands.....

You know...being a Texan and all....:cheers:

I actually bought the gun to cut down into a little .357 pocket rocket but now that I have it I really hate to chop it.... But..ALL of my guns are shooters and I hate to just put it in a drawer just to look at it every once and again...

Merlin, as GrandBoule suggests do a couple of reloads with the 686 and 19. I am not really a fan of the recessed cylinders. For me it's somewhere else that crap can get into to make it harder to get the rounds into. :sight: But you may have better luck. Later rdd

19 Hands down.... K-frames win. Just sayin.... :)

+1 for the K frame, with the reduced PF it should be fine.

Don't know that I would chamfer a recessed gun though.

By the way good buy, from the pic the gun looks great

My buddy Ken Hebert hooked me up with it.... Got me a really nice deal - just could not pass it by...

but now that I have it I really hate to chop it.... But..ALL of my guns are shooters and I hate to just put it in a drawer just to look at it every once and again...

No reason you can't shoot it as is. I wouldn't want to chop it either; so shoot it stock.

Give the K-frame a whirl and see what you think. With the PF moving to 105, I think the K - frames will really come into their own.

You already know this, but I'll say it any way - you can't make a valid comparison on reloading with the 19 with your L-frame until you have the 19 chamfered. I have a 66-1 that's recessed - I couldn't get anyone to chamfer it due to the recessed cylinder, so I got a chamfering tool from Brownells and did it myself. It was a bit disconcerting to have to cut away so much of the recess to even get to the chamber face, but once it was done the recess acted as a big funnel and that particular gun is the fastest loading speedloader revo I own.

If you're lucky, your 19-3 has a pinned front sight which will allow you to swap out front sights will little difficulty - this is a very nice option if you like fiber optic sights.

Slick that bad boy up and run it for a while - the 19/66 platform is the ideal K - frame for IDPA IMHO.

Edited by Brewski

Merlin, to chamfer a recessed cylinder, all you really need to do is knock off the sharp edges.

If you haven't bought a holster yet let me know. I have one left over I can send your way

Wow... I will be using one of the nice grips I got from you on this gun too. Thanks...yet again... :cheers: