Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video Simulation

joestefano

Does any know of any kind of IPSC/Steel Challenge video simulation software available? Any Type? With all the new interactive games out there it is a wonder that someone hasn't come up with a good USPSA shooting simulation. Does any one know any software/game designers?

Does any know of any kind of IPSC/Steel Challenge video simulation software available? Any Type? With all the new interactive games out there it is a wonder that someone hasn't come up with a good USPSA shooting simulation. Does any one know any software/game designers?

Joe my brother and I that shoot USPSA talked about that and have been looking for the last 3 weeks and have not been able to find anything that resembles what we do.

i think a first person shooter (like Call of Duty) would be pretty cool. then you could dictate how the stage movement is done what shots are taken where, when to reload, etc etc. it would just be a video game with controller vs having a gun to hold and point around.

You could actually make it pretty cool the more i think about this: have a calendar set up with local club matches you can attend, majors you can travel too (at a higher cost), classifiers to rank you up. Winnings from matches would be cash so you could buy new guns for new divisions, upgraded parts for guns, mags, etc or you could pick items from a prize table like we do in real life.

It would basically be like the Greg Hastings paintball game series but with USPSA (and hopefully better graphics, haha)

I wish i had connections at a video game place...

yeah i think the biggest obstacle to design a game like this, is how do you control movement...

for it to be realistic having some sort of way of controlling movement is imperative..

economy of movement, shifting speed, leaning into shots, weight distribution...

this are all big parts of the game.. if left out i think a game like this would get pretty boring soon.

we could programmer the stage creating what is know as a rail shooter but then the game would just be a shooting gallery with only half of the challenge.

i would love to have a ipsc video game/simulator.. but i think it's hard to truly generate compelling experience and not end up watering it down.

Here's an interesting thought dough...

if we ware to remove the concept of a light gun all together and design the game mechanics so that the navigation of a stage is done with the joysticks using pressure sensitive buttons to control, for speed of movement, leaning, etc and use and auto target or indexing button to engage targets mixed with a wobble zone (would be bigger or smaller based on the players smoothness thorough the stage), this way could concentrate on manipulating the shooter, with simple but challenging shooting mechanics,you auto aim at the target, but do you wait for your sight to finishing wobbling? or do you call the shot as your gun wobbles, which could result in a mike?.

with this concept you wouldn't be using your gun.. but you would be able to shot and control the finer aspects of your movement at the same time, and the wobble zone effect would allow you to experience calling your shots..

Anyway if anyone want's to program it.. i can create all the art/assets for it...

i can produce all the digital model and animation characters props stages etc.. so all we would need is some one with experience in a game engine such as Unreal, or half-life engine, or any video game sdk really, who can program the game play...

Edited by carlosa

• 2 weeks later...

Try these websites

www.lasershot.com

www.imarksman.com

I have used the Lasershot system. No USPSA movement type of stages but you can setup classifer type stages with targets and steel.

MDA

yeah i think the biggest obstacle to design a game like this, is how do you control movement...

for it to be realistic having some sort of way of controlling movement is imperative..

this are all big parts of the game.. if left out i think a game like this would get pretty boring soon.

we could programmer the stage creating what is know as a rail shooter but then the game would just be a shooting gallery with only half of the challenge.

i would love to have a ipsc video game/simulator.. but i think it's hard to truly generate compelling experience and not end up watering it down.

if we ware to remove the concept of a light gun all together and design the game mechanics so that the navigation of a stage is done with the joysticks using pressure sensitive buttons to control, for speed of movement, leaning, etc and use and auto target or indexing button to engage targets mixed with a wobble zone (would be bigger or smaller based on the players smoothness thorough the stage), this way could concentrate on manipulating the shooter, with simple but challenging shooting mechanics,you auto aim at the target, but do you wait for your sight to finishing wobbling? or do you call the shot as your gun wobbles, which could result in a mike?.

with this concept you wouldn't be using your gun.. but you would be able to shot and control the finer aspects of your movement at the same time, and the wobble zone effect would allow you to experience calling your shots..

Anyway if anyone want's to program it.. i can create all the art/assets for it...

i can produce all the digital model and animation characters props stages etc.. so all we would need is some one with experience in a game engine such as Unreal, or half-life engine, or any video game sdk really, who can program the game play...

I would think that you could use the WiiFit board for this (see highlight above). At least for some classifier and stationary steel challenge type stages.

Edited by Shadowrider

I would think that you could use the WiiFit board for this (see highlight above). At least for some classifier and stationary steel challenge type stages.

Yeah that could be cool..

Or even using the kinnect..

It might feel kind if cheese running in place dough :)

• 2 months later...

They could make something that goes in the bore of your real gun for an aiming device...heck, the Wii's have a remote that moves stuff on the TV, they could just put the sensor on your gun somehow.

like a combo snap cap/wimote or snapcap/sightbore laser. that would be cool

They could make something that goes in the bore of your real gun for an aiming device...heck, the Wii's have a remote that moves stuff on the TV, they could just put the sensor on your gun somehow.

like a combo snap cap/wimote or snapcap/sightbore laser. that would be cool

Except that single action and safe action guns would only be good for one shot.

Mac

At the BitB, someone was talking about the Wii game "Reload" I've never seen it, but they say it's a pretty good static dry fire game.

Mac

EDIT: with the PS3 6-axis, Wii-motes, and I think the 360? the gyroscopic positioning would allow for leans, ducks, and reaches. The Move, Wii-fit board, and Kinect would allow for body position simulation. I still think the analog sticks would have to be used for movement though, because I think running in place wouldn't work as well as we would hope. (Although, no one on this forum needs the cardio worse than I do.)

Edited by McAllyn

At the BitB, someone was talking about the Wii game "Reload" I've never seen it, but they say it's a pretty good static dry fire game.

A family member gave me Reload for Christmas. Absolutely, positively horrible. It has absolutely no redeeming value, and may God have mercy on your soul if you buy it.