Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just started 3 gun, wanting budget 18in upper.

aci

This last year I shot my first 3 gun, and in short I'm hooked. Here the thing I have a heavy barrel midlength 16 railed upper, that's way too heavy so I'm hawkin it. I've been looking at a bunch of uppers and barrels, and really considering the CMMG 18 upper, but it's what they call medcon, or medium contour barrel. I'm worried this might be a bit heavy. I'm on a pretty low budget however at this point, as I also need to get lots of other gear for this sport. I.E. a longer then compact 9mm, and some parts for my 1100, as well as decent optics for the AR.

so my question is for a beginner will I regret getting a medium contour barrel and not springing for something like a JP barrel, or am I over thinking all of this? Should I keep my current upper and shoot some matches, focus on the other gear and practice rather then my AR?

Thank you for your insights. One thing I really appreciate about the 3 gun matches is how welcoming and friend anyone is!

My link

have you looked at this? Its the barrel from the DPMS 3G1 which is DPMS's factory 3 Gun rifle. Its not a light weight barrel, but it is damn hard to beat for the price. Worst case scenarion Adco can turn it to whatever profile you want for $60.

I wasn't real impressed with the CMMG barrel I owned, nor their customer service.

This last year I shot my first 3 gun, and in short I'm hooked. Here the thing I have a heavy barrel midlength 16 railed upper, that's way too heavy so I'm hawkin it. I've been looking at a bunch of uppers and barrels, and really considering the CMMG 18 upper, but it's what they call medcon, or medium contour barrel. I'm worried this might be a bit heavy. I'm on a pretty low budget however at this point, as I also need to get lots of other gear for this sport. I.E. a longer then compact 9mm, and some parts for my 1100, as well as decent optics for the AR.

so my question is for a beginner will I regret getting a medium contour barrel and not springing for something like a JP barrel, or am I over thinking all of this? Should I keep my current upper and shoot some matches, focus on the other gear and practice rather then my AR?

Thank you for your insights. One thing I really appreciate about the 3 gun matches is how welcoming and friend anyone is!

Your upper is probably not the best, but you own it, and it will be fine for most matches. Short answer, 3 gun is not cheap, no matter what, and you say you are on a budget. So, what division? I'd suggest putting your money into an M&P or Glock 9mm and if you don't have good sights (irons or optics for whatever division) get those. I used an 1100 for a LONG time and it was really hard to leave them, but I had passed them and they were slowing me down in several areas, so I'm not sure I would spend any money there right away. Sights for the AR and a pistol and call it good for 2011. Shoot the season, practice, learn, take a class maybe and I would almost gurantee the decisions you will make after a year will be different that what you might decide today. Put whatever you can in savings each month so you have a nice stash to spend on your 3 gun gear next Christmas.

Mark's advice is VERY VERY good.

I shot a stock bushmaster 16" carbine for 3 years before I got what I really needed, and was doing fine with it. Also, a stock Sig 229 (compact 9mm) Gotta remember it's the Indian, not the arrow.

My link

have you looked at this? Its the barrel from the DPMS 3G1 which is DPMS's factory 3 Gun rifle. Its not a light weight barrel, but it is damn hard to beat for the price. Worst case scenarion Adco can turn it to whatever profile you want for $60.

I wasn't real impressed with the CMMG barrel I owned, nor their customer service.

I have been looking at that one, wouldn't cost too much, could hawk my old barrel and my gunsmith says he'll put the new one on for 25. It'd be 200 out of pocket minus whatever I could get out of my Del-ton barrel, which is an enticing option. I'm just trying to judge where I should focus my limited funds.

Markco, yeah I need optics and a handgun, I have a Walther P99 that I can use, but I'm trying to sell it to fund a full sized 9mm with higher cap mags. Probably either a Glock 17 or a 34 depending on how much I get out of the Walther. And I'm looking at the TAC-30 as far as optics goes.

As far as 1100 how did it slow you down? For now I'm sure it's more capable then I am, but I'm just wondering.

The local range calls the class I'm shooting scoped tactical meaning one optic on your rifle, and while the range has space to spare so far farthest target has been 450yrds.

Edited by aci

Markco, yeah I need optics and a handgun, I have a Walther P99 that I can use, but I'm trying to sell it to fund a full sized 9mm with higher cap mags. Probably either a Glock 17 or a 34 depending on how much I get out of the Walther. And I'm looking at the TAC-30 as far as optics goes.

As far as 1100 how did it slow you down? For now I'm sure it's more capable then I am, but I'm just wondering.

It's no secret I am a huge fan of the TAC30, and mine has more miles on it than anyone's except maybe Benny's. G17s as police trade-ins can be found for less than $350, and if you join GSSF, for $425. CDNN sells used G17 mags for $10 each. Pretty good deals.

The 1100 needs a DMW easy-loader to load fast, and using the fastest techniques, they just don't cut it. If you bang that DMW hanging below the gun, you can go to single shot real fast. Loading off the side sadlle, arm band, etc, one at a time, they can hang at speed. But go to a 3 or 4 round weak or strong hand load, and they increase the complexity of the technique while increasing the fumble factor. They lock open on every round, they have some REALLY sharp edges inside, they need to be run wet or dry (debatable which is best) and need "maintenance" beyond what the others need. If I was not so stubborn, I would have switched sooner. It was when I decided to focus on getting at least "decent" loading shotguns weakhand that I realized I had to do something. I tried the 870 conversions, but IMHO, they make the 1100 even more finicky w.r.t. loads.

Replacing your rifle's barrel should be pretty low down your priority list - your 16" heavy barrel will work just fine, so long as the rifle is reliable and accurate. I run a 20"HBAR and don't consider the weight to be much of a liability. Remember, a lighter barrel will also run the risk of losing accuracy when it gets hot - I like to know my barrel will still shoot straight when it gets toasty (which it does when I'm shooting it :roflol: ). An appropriate optic would be a good investment if you don't already have one. The biggest bang for your buck for your rifle comes from a match trigger (e.g. JP), a decent muzzle brake (Miculek works OK and is cheap) and a free-floated forend.

Your bigger priority right now is a decent pistol and belt rig (mag pouches, shotshell carriers etc.), and upgrading your 1100 with an EZ Loader, magazine extension and a few critical spare parts. Contrary to what you might read here, an 1100 is a perfectly adequate platform for 3-gunning provided you take the time to maintain it properly (cleaning, preventative parts changes).

Wow, all really good advice. My AR has a trigger job by a good local smith, and it's pretty sweet. I'm going to buy optics pretty much the second I get money cause I need to start practicing. I'm going to have to look into police trades and other creative options for a full sized Glock. I'm thinking I'll probably hold off on the barrel/upper stuff until I get other stuff sorted out. I think it will probably be awhile before this AR setup will be the weak link, and at that point it will be easier to justify the change and I'll have money saved up to do it.

Not sure what a budget upper is, but I was in your boat and I bought an upper here on the Forum for $700 (Sabre 18" fluted barrel, PRI FF, JP LMOS, Comp etc) sold my Bushmaster and bought a new lower RRA National Match $299, For $200 out of pocket I went from a sows ear to a silk purse, however in the course of exploring Options I found a deal on the RRA Tactical Operator 2 at Class3weapons.com for $969. Sell off the current gun get the Operator and be money ahead of buying an upper. No its not an 18 but it is midlength gas, I think the RRA Operator will get the job done, till you can save up $2500 for a top of the line gun.