Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with Tripp 10mm mags

JMcDonough

I just received 5 tripp 10mm 9 round mags and the first bullet nose dives even when loaded with 8 rounds. I am using them in my sti trojan 40. I have been using wilson 45 etm mags that were 98% reliable. My load is xtreme 180 round nose at 1.200 overall length. Any ideas on what to do would be appreciated.

I returned them, Did the same thing in mine, the gun ran metal form 10 round extended .40 mags with factory ammo just fine, It also worked just fine with the 9 round shooting star 10mm mags, at 1.180. The problem is the Trip magazines,some guns just dont like em.

Before I had the barrel replaced, I tried the Tripp 10mm mags, Wilson 47NX, and McCormick...all 9-rounders. They all would nose dive (only from slide lock) at 1.200" with some regularity. I tried various bullets and increased the OAL in steps until I got to 1.240", and they were all 100% reliable. With the new barrel, it doesn't matter...short, long, empty case, slide lock, closed slide...they just feed. The STI ramp is a bit too far forward for short OALs in single stacks...doesn't seem to matter as much with 2011s...they've made it better, but don't know if it's a complete cure.

I'd try loading a bit longer, and see what happens.

Before I had the barrel replaced, I tried the Tripp 10mm mags, Wilson 47NX, and McCormick...all 9-rounders. They all would nose dive (only from slide lock) at 1.200" with some regularity. I tried various bullets and increased the OAL in steps until I got to 1.240", and they were all 100% reliable. With the new barrel, it doesn't matter...short, long, empty case, slide lock, closed slide...they just feed. The STI ramp is a bit too far forward for short OALs in single stacks...doesn't seem to matter as much with 2011s...they've made it better, but don't know if it's a complete cure.

I'd try loading a bit longer, and see what happens.

Ok I will try that tomarrow and hope that fixes it . If not I will call tripp and see if they can help.

I found the same problems with Tripp 10 rd 9mm mags. Nose

Dives. At 1.155 and zero 147jhp. I went

The other way- shorter 1.125 and all worked.What I

Found interesting is that all the factory 115's

Feed fine! And they measured 1.160?

Is it bullet head profile?

Edited by Rolex

I found the same problems with Tripp 10 rd 9mm mags. Nose

Dives. At 1.155 and zero 147jhp. I went

The other way- shorter 1.125 and all worked.What I

Found interesting is that all the factory 115's

Feed fine! And they measured 1.160?

Is it bullet head profile?

Ya I tried shorter oal as well they nose dive even more often.

Just to let you know.

Yesterday I got those MG 147CMJ's. Loaded them

up at 1.160 down to 1.125! They still nose dive!

All seven NEW mags- yet that cheap factory STI

mag works great! Dont get it. :angry2:

So after all this testing with heads what is

next? :goof:

Do the mags need to be worked on with the STI

that I want to use them in? Or how about a new

follower? I have no idea- BUT Tripp will be

hearing from me today-for the last time.

If any one has the solution for my Sentry/Tripp

mags let me in on it!

Thank you :sight:

I have a new Trojan and was going to order the Tripp mags today. Maybe I will hold off and first try my Checkmate 10mm mags first to see if they feed well. I was going to get tripp since I have a Techwell on it and wanted the extra basepad length. It is the sp magwell. But first I need to get the barrel of the Trojan throated so it will accept my 40 rounds loaded to 1.185"

Randy

Just to let you know.

Yesterday I got those MG 147CMJ's. Loaded them

up at 1.160 down to 1.125! They still nose dive!

All seven NEW mags- yet that cheap factory STI

mag works great! Dont get it. :angry2:

So after all this testing with heads what is

next? :goof:

Do the mags need to be worked on with the STI

that I want to use them in? Or how about a new

follower? I have no idea- BUT Tripp will be

hearing from me today-for the last time.

If any one has the solution for my Sentry/Tripp

mags let me in on it!

Thank you :sight:

Is the front of those CMJs flat? They look like they are flat in the picture, might just be the picture. If you've found mags that work then good for you, use them. I know my Tripp mags work in all my guns after I find what it and the gun wants. 9mm and .40 SS are the hardest to get to run folks, the gun just wasn't designed for those cartridges. Its not just as simple as picking a mag and throwing it in there. I'm not saying that is what you guys are doing but do a little work, try different bullets, different weights etc. Has anybody tried really polishing and shaping your feed ramps?

Have a Colt Mod 70 Custom 40 S&W with STI Slide & Kart non-ramped barrel. The 9 round Tripp 40 S&W & 10 mm mags would not function from slide lock or no slide lock without causing jams. Tried different bullet weights & nose design...round, semi-flat nose, & truncated. OAL did not make a difference. Even tried loading only 8 rounds in the mag & experienced the same jam problems. I tried Tripp .45 ACP mags and would get nose dives. Returned the mags to Tripp for refund.

I use Mecgar 8 round (it was a bitch installing base pads)& Shooting Star 10 round with no problems. 10 rounders are setup for no slide lock & the 8 rounders are set up for slide lock. Still have not found 9 round mags that will function from slide lock. From my observations it seems like the Tripp 9 round mags sit too high.

Edited by 40S&W

I have a new Trojan and was going to order the Tripp mags today. Maybe I will hold off and first try my Checkmate 10mm mags first to see if they feed well. I was going to get tripp since I have a Techwell on it and wanted the extra basepad length. It is the sp magwell. But first I need to get the barrel of the Trojan throated so it will accept my 40 rounds loaded to 1.185"

Randy

I have tried checkmate 10mm mags and they would nose dive also but I have not tried them at 1.260 oal. My load at 1.260 works great in my trojan and my barrel is stock I have not had it throated.

Buy the EGW mag catch. He makes one that sits a bit higher, forcing the mag higher. I found that resolved my trojan 40 issues.

I guess I assume everybody already does this with .40s. Mine have this as well which might be why my guns all run great.

I have a question for all ya'll that have had problems with the Tripp 10mm magazines. Which version of the magazine did you have? The older all steel follower or the newer hybrid follower?

This is all good information. Glad I landed on it.

I personally purchased 10 Tripp 10mm magazines with the hybrid follower and shot them in my Fusion Scout XL at last years nationals. In practice before the big match, I recall having a problem with loading 9 rounds and loading up from slide lock like many of you on the board. I ended up going to an EGW resize die in my Dillon 550B and this made a difference as well. I didn't experience any bullet set back when the first round was about to chamber. I also recall getting into the habit of being conscious of tipping the nose of the bullet up on the 1st magazine (charge mag) and I never had any problems during the entire SS nationals of 2010.

Now, we'll see how well the Tripps work in my new Springfield TRP-40 Z special. I have put 200 rounds thru is so far (the gun just came in a few days ago) without any problems at all so far. Feeds like a hot knife thru butter. I also have a few Wilson magazines and they seem to be very nice as well.

It's a toss up, but I think both magazines are of outstanding quality.

Is the front of those CMJs flat? They look like they are flat in the picture, might just be the picture. If you've found mags that work then good for you, use them. I know my Tripp mags work in all my guns after I find what it and the gun wants. 9mm and .40 SS are the hardest to get to run folks, the gun just wasn't designed for those cartridges. Its not just as simple as picking a mag and throwing it in there. I'm not saying that is what you guys are doing but do a little work, try different bullets, different weights etc. Has anybody tried really polishing and shaping your feed ramps?

The 147CMJ has more of a rounded/blunt shape...not exactly flat.

My Trojan .40 was a bit picky about feeding from slide lock with 9 in the mag, but now that it has an AET barrel, which has a very slight curve to the ramp (it also extends back a bit closer to the mag), it'll feed anything...including empty cases.

When it was still stock, Matt McLearn polished and shaped it a little bit, but the problem is simply that the bottom of the ramp isn't close enough to the mag with the stock barrel. If you try to lower the angle of the ramp more than just a tiny bit, you have to cut into the case support, and that's a non-starter. R,

Buy the EGW mag catch. He makes one that sits a bit higher, forcing the mag higher. I found that resolved my trojan 40 issues.

I guess I assume everybody already does this with .40s. Mine have this as well which might be why my guns all run great.

I put an Ed Brown extended in mine, but I don't think it raises the mag at all.

I am running Tripp 10mm mags with no feed issues. I did have problems with mags hitting the ejector. Got on the phone and talked to Virgil. The problem is fixed. Needed basepads fitted to my frame. I have a Caspian race ready frame. He knew what needed to be done as soon as I told him what issues I was having.

Mike

I'm going to order one of the egw mag catches should that allow me to load 9 rounds in the mags and not nose dive. My gun is functioning great with 8 rounds in the mag now with the ed brown mag catch.