Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

number of shotty shells per stage?

ghertz

I know this will vary event to event but how many shotty (found the correct spelling in another post) shells do you carry per stage? I'm getting set up with gear over the winter and wondering how many carriers I may need. I've got 3 of the 4 shell carriers and 1 of the 6 shell carriers and can put 9 in the tube to start.

Red Neck Tactical advocates that you should always have enough ammo on your belt to shoot the stage. The ammo in your gun is extra that way you shouldn't run out.

That said the big shotgun stages are 35 or so rounds. That means I run 5-6 four round caddies up front and 2 six round caddies on the sides of my body.

The average 3 gun stage or 2 gun stage will have you shooting 8-20 rounds of shotgun with maybe some slugs or buckshot mixed in. So on an 8 round stage I would run 2-3 4 rounders. On a 20 round stage with some slug/buck I would run 5-6 four round caddies with one caddy each of slug and buck.

This all varies greatly by stage design. If you buy 6 4 round caddies and 2 6 round caddies you're golden.

Edited by jtischauser

I know this will vary event to event but how many shotty (found the correct spelling in another post) shells do you carry per stage?

They are messing with you. The "Shotgun" can be called a "shotty", but the shot shells are still "shot shells" (or "bird", "slugs" and "buck"). :cheers:

In 2009, I shot 56 rounds on the all shotgun stage at RM3G. The all shotgun stage at RM3G in 2010 I shot 36 rounds. If you go to a big match, I would plan for the possibility of shooting 50 to 60 rounds. Big match all shotgun stages are a hoot to watch (ask Pinto) and, for most, to shoot. I've just tried to survive them in the past, hoping to do better in 2011. I have typically run 4 belt caddies (16 rounds) plus a side saddle (6 rounds) plus a 2 row arm band (16 rounds) and a bandolier (20 rounds or so). Starting with 9 in the gun, I have gone side saddle, arm band then caddies. My practice loading 40 rounds currently is burn through the caddies first (since I can now load from them faster and I am not running a side saddle on the SLP) then the armband. The Otto Caddies (I think they are the best) are like $45, so $11/shell whereas a 16 round armband is like $45, so less than $3/shell. For the one or two stages a year where I need to shoot more than 25 rounds of shotgun, I decided to not tie up over $100 in gear for maybe running the stage in 94 seconds instead of 90.

For most shotgun stages, you will shoot 10 to 20 rounds.

I run 4 - 6 shell caddies, a 6 round arm band (that i can make into a 12 round arm band if necessary) and I am adding Otto's 9 round side saddle for ridiculously fun/long stages (so, that gives me 45 extra shells). I also have a shell box holder from trap that I can put on my belt to hold a box of shells. This doesn't work great since the shells will fly if running, but it gives me an extra safety net of 20 rounds if necessary (make sure to turn all of the shells in the same direction) (just need to put hand over box as you run) :surprise::roflol:

The need for so many shells is the reason I only use the caddies that hold 6. Loading off of the belt is always faster than the arm or the gun and if I used those that hold 4 the entire belt would be shotgun only on stages where I might need a rifle or pistol mag. I run four 6rd caddies.

I agree with Charles, 6 round holders for me as well. I have up to 6 6round holders on me at various times giving me 36 rounds of shottygunnyshellys for my shottygunny

Side Note: Mr. T (AKA jtischhauser) only posted that "Shotty" thing in the other post because he knows I hate that expression and he was just :devil: ing me. At best it makes one sound British, at worst, just plain.....well you get the idea, and you are only saving 1 letter instead of just spelling shotgun. And while I am at it Ghost-load is also detested by me as well as over sized bolt handles both on a "Shottygunny" or an ARyyy :angry2::sight::roflol:

I agree with Charles, 6 round holders for me as well. I have up to 6 6round holders on me at various times giving me 36 rounds of shottygunnyshellys for my shottygunny

Side Note: Mr. T (AKA jtischhauser) only posted that "Shotty" thing in the other post because he knows I hate that expression and he was just :devil: ing me. At best it makes one sound British, at worst, just plain.....well you get the idea, and you are only saving 1 letter instead of just spelling shotgun. And while I am at it Ghost-load is also detested by me as well as over sized bolt handles both on a "Shottygunny" or an ARyyy :angry2::sight::roflol:

I figured as much about the "Shotty" thing. I had just watched that video with the animated guys going off about the word "shotty" and various other forum related questions so I figured I'd use it. My brother in law does actually use the term "shotty" to refer to a shotgun and I hate it as well.

I think I"m going to start using Armalite-15 instead of AR-15.

Edited by ghertz

I have taken to pulling a small red wagon along behind me on the larger shotgun stages to carry my extra shells. It is also handy for holding a small cooler to allow me to rehydrate mid stage if needed. This year I am thinking of getting some new oversized "run flat" tires for my tactical wagon in case I encounter some challenging terrain.

I have taken to pulling a small red wagon along behind me on the larger shotgun stages to carry my extra shells. It is also handy for holding a small cooler to allow me to rehydrate mid stage if needed. This year I am thinking of getting some new oversized "run flat" tires for my tactical wagon in case I encounter some challenging terrain.

Don't forget a pillow in case you want to take a nap.

Think I'm going to go with the 6 rounders, it's easier for me to grab 3 at a time than 4 at a time.

I was thinking that also until a friend mentioned that he sometimes has the remaining 3 move around and fall out during movement. There is probably a fix but that's what I heard.

Think I'm going to go with the 6 rounders, it's easier for me to grab 3 at a time than 4 at a time.

I was thinking that also until a friend mentioned that he sometimes has the remaining 3 move around and fall out during movement. There is probably a fix but that's what I heard.

The fix is easy and cheap, if you're using Choate 6 rounders. Put the smooth side, of sticky Velcro on the inside of the caddie, along the edges. It provides enough friction on the diameter of the shells to keep them in place after you took 3 or 4 out for loading.