Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil difference between M&P9 and 9L?

XxMerlinxX

For those of you who have shot both the regular 9 and the 9L, is there a noticeable difference in recoil between the two? Big enough to justify the price difference?

Very negligible to me. I carry a fullsize and shoot Production with an L. The main reason is to get the extra barrel length and sight radius. It will obviously put some more weight out front which is also a plus. If you are going to shoot Production or the like, the price difference is very worth it. Get an Apex sear and go to Dawson or Warren for sights if you don't like the factory ones. After that find a 135 PF load it will shoot, don't tweak it, and shoot as much as you can afford.

Edited by kv501

I shoot the S&W Pro in Production. I installed Dawson's sights and have done nothing else. There is no recoil to speak of and the gun is plenty accurate enough for the games we play. The stock trigger is not close to my custom 1911's/2011's, but it isn't bad.

Buddy

As far as felt recoil, there's no difference, but, the longer guns seem to have more recoil because the front sight lifts higher than on a shorter gun.

Both guns are the same length. It's the slide profile that differs, and then only slightly.

As far as felt recoil, there's no difference, but, the longer guns seem to have more recoil because the front sight lifts higher than on a shorter gun.

Both guns are the same length. It's the slide profile that differs, and then only slightly.

The original post does not say the 9L vs the 9Pro.... ?

Right, I'm talking about the difference between the 4.25" and 5" barrel versions.

As usual, "it depends" is sort of the right answer. The total recoil isn't going to be much different, but the muzzle flip will seem a little different. The 5" guns seem a little bit smoother, maybe a softer feel, but nothing huge. The 5" gun will let you load to the same PF with a touch less powder, and that will give you a bit less recoil, but it's still pretty insignificant.

I have the 5" Pro and when my wife (all 5'2" and 105lbs of her) shot it, she dumped a whole mag into about a 4" circle at 10yds, turned to me and said "this is a wussy gun, anybody can shoot it".... :lol:

Where are you located? If you're local, you can shoot mine.

I doubt you'll find any necessity to reduce the muzzle flip of a 9mm, especially with the right ammo. If there's one thing I love about shooting a minor gun, it's the soft recoil and how quickly the sights return.

Sounds to me like you need to shoot a CZ Shadow so you only have to buy one gun. I've shot a number of Plastic guns and as well as all steel guns. CZ got it right with the Shadow its got that weight out forward like the STI Edge. Minimal flip and Recoil. In the plastic the M&P Pro or L or the Glock 34, but I'm into heavy metal and it is a totally different feel.

Oooh and I'm on the same page with Bart, that longer barrel will make the gun feel less violent.

I'm just about sold on the 5", I just need to get my hands on one so I can make sure. I've started wondering about a tungsten guide rod for it as well, if that would do much for muzzle flip?

My 13 yr old son uses the 4.25" standard M&P, and is about 98lbs soaking wet. He has been shooting it scince he was 11 and about 75lbs. He has never had a complaint about recoil and is starting to run better times with it against me with my pro. Anyone that has recoil issues with this gun may find .22 cal steel shooting more to their liking. :P

I'm just about sold on the 5", I just need to get my hands on one so I can make sure. I've started wondering about a tungsten guide rod for it as well, if that would do much for muzzle flip?

I wouldn't bother...with something like 135PF loads there shouldn't be much muzzle flip if your grip is reasonably correct. R,