Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Limted slide lightening?

G34 CORDY

Lightening the slide really isn't needed on the EAA/Tanfo guns because they are already a lot lighter than 1911/2011 slides. The 1911/2011 slides have to be lightened significantly to get to the weight of a standard EAA/Tanfo slide.

Getting a slide lightened is usually more of a cosmetic thing than a functional thing for most people. I tried taking 1oz out of the front of a Limited slide and the front sight wouldn't track well when shooting major PF loads. It shot like a dream with Minor PF loads though. If you are going to shoot mouse fart steel challenge loads then lightning the slide may be an advantage. If you are going to shoot major PF loads then its probably best to leave it alone.

Lightening the slide really isn't needed on the EAA/Tanfo guns because they are already a lot lighter than 1911/2011 slides. The 1911/2011 slides have to be lightened significantly to get to the weight of a standard EAA/Tanfo slide.

Getting a slide lightened is usually more of a cosmetic thing than a functional thing for most people. I tried taking 1oz out of the front of a Limited slide and the front sight wouldn't track well when shooting major PF loads. It shot like a dream with Minor PF loads though. If you are going to shoot mouse fart steel challenge loads then lightning the slide may be an advantage. If you are going to shoot major PF loads then its probably best to leave it alone.

I suspect it is more of an individual thing. I have one with slide lightening, one without, and I find the lightened one comes back to point of aim alot better. The un-lightened one has a noticably heavier front end which I find more difficult to shoot quickly. With splits of about .25 not much difference, going sub .20 I find a noticable difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you have to change your spring to a lighter or heavier spring after having your slide lightened?

Also curiosity question about slide lightening:If the objective is truly slide lightening and not cosmetic, and lighter is better, isn't there a lot more mass the can be removed by taking away material behind the breech, near the rear sight? Or why not remove as much from the front of the slide ahead of the lugs and something the looks like the Beretta slide?

I ~think~ I preferred the feel of my .40 Limited unlightened. I had Rich at CC do the "coffin cuts"..I think they took out about 1oz. I am running a 12lb. spring now. It feels very quick/harsh, more so than with a stock slide. I agree that it depends on what power factor ammo you are going to be running through it. My 9mm match with a stock slide feels so sluggish I bumped the ammo from 130 to 137 PF running an 8lb spring.

Did you have to change your spring to a lighter or heavier spring after having your slide lightened?

Also curiosity question about slide lightening:If the objective is truly slide lightening and not cosmetic, and lighter is better, isn't there a lot more mass the can be removed by taking away material behind the breech, near the rear sight? Or why not remove as much from the front of the slide ahead of the lugs and something the looks like the Beretta slide?