Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 yd load for G34

mwc

I'm looking to save myself some time and money and was hoping someone would share powder/bullet combos that are at least 125pf and will group 3 inches or so at 50 yards out of a stock G34. Is it possible? I'm kicking around going to the Bianchi Cup this year in case your wondering why. :D Thanks

If you want 50 yard accuracy.....here are a couple mandatory things....

Brass. Use new brass, or same headstamp brass that has been rollsized.

Use Federal small pistol match primers. It will shrink your groups at 50 yards. It shrunk mine by 27%.

You will want to use good quality hollowpoints. Hornady or Sierra or Zero. Your gun will tell you what it likes.

You need to run the 115s at 1150-1180 for best terminal accuracy. I would also try the Zero 125 JHP .356 as well.

If your gun runs the 124-125 grain bullets better then they need to run 1050-1100,

Best powders will be in this order, VV 330, VV 340, VV 320, Titegroup, W 231/HP-38.

You will need to load the 115s out to at least 1.120. I would make test groups of 20 or so at different OALs out to 1.160 depending on your chamber, and see what groups best, then get your velocity where it needs to be, and you will see what you have.

There is no rocket science here, just some plain hard work and preparation. I got all this info from this Forum, and from Forum members....ain't this a great place?

If you need anything else I would more than happy to help out!

Happy new year,

DougC

Accuracy load. Starline brass, 124 HAP, or XTP, 5.0 of N330 or N340 OAL 1.080 this groups 10 shots in 1.1" @ 25yds in my G34. Didn't try at 50, but puts 10 shots in .752" in my EAA at 25 yds also. This is a bullseye load.

I don't want to side-track the thread, Doug, but I had several questions.

I'm fairly new and wanted to ask why HP's? Are they more accurate than other loads, like RN's? What do comp shooters typically use?

Thanks for the lesson!

Jerry

The general 'rule of thumb' on bullets is that hollow points are the most accurate because they have a consistently uniform base without the exposed lead. FMJ's generally have an exposed lead base which isn't uniform and some of lead will be burnt off creating further inconsistencies. The CMJ's tend to be better but you mileage may vary.

The general 'rule of thumb' on bullets is that hollow points are the most accurate because they have a consistently uniform base without the exposed lead. FMJ's generally have an exposed lead base which isn't uniform and some of lead will be burnt off creating further inconsistencies. The CMJ's tend to be better but you mileage may vary.

+1 :cheers: That's been my experience too.

"Brass. Use new brass, or same headstamp brass that has been rollsized.

Use Federal small pistol match primers. It will shrink your groups at 50 yards. It shrunk mine by 27%."

Thanks everyone for the information. I think I am headed in the right direction now. I have been reloading .45 bullseye loads for years and brass was never an issue. Everything from new to old or even mixed worked great. I just finished developing a load for my 9 x 23 Open gun and noticed that mixed brass was a big no no. I ended up using using only Starline brass, the Hornady 125 HAP and VV320 and was getting 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. I think I will try using that same bullet,powder, and Federal Match primers with the 9mm at different OALs and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll try VV330. Thanks again. I hope to be testing more this week and let you know how it goes.