Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring for 6" Limited STI Eagle?

Fullauto_Shooter

Did a search, but my search-foo is weak. Does a 6" pistol take the same recoil spring as a standard 5" gun? I assumed they used identical springs until I saw that Wolff offers a "Long Slide Function Pak", made specficially for long slide pistols.

My pistol is a 6" Eagle (.40) with two-piece guide-rod. I shoot mostly 168-172PF loads, but am also developing a lower PF load (around 150PF) for 3-Gun. What weight spring do you recommend for this set-up? For the record, I don't know what weight spring is in the gun now but it's functioned flawlessly albeit with snappier recoil than I like, but the spring is considerably heavier than the 11 pound spring in my P16.

I'm contemplating getting a sample pack of Wolff Variable Power Recoil springs (9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16.5) from Brownells to see which weight has the best recoil characteristics.

Thoughts or suggestions always welcome.

Your gun uses the Long slide springs, Order the # 5 cut the spring to 42 coils and check for spring bind, you should be right on with length. Your gonna hate that two piece guide rod, I made a GI style recoil rod system out of a cut down STI full length for a 5 inch guide rod. Can field strip without tools and nothing to unscrew while shooting.

Hello: I think your STI 6" Eagle is going to have STI's adapted reverse plug to work with a bushing. If it does then it will use a 5" recoil spring. I would get a 12.5lb ISMI and a 14 lb ISMI recoil springs. If the slide is factory non lightened then use the 14 lb one and if it is lightened then use the 12.5 lb one. I use a 12.5 lb recoil spring on my lightened 6". Works great :cheers: Thanks, Eric

STI makes a spring plug for 6" guns that works with standard 5" springs. That is what I use so I can use the same springs in my 5" and 6" guns. You might consider that as an option. I use a 12.5 lb in mine with a lightened slide.

No offence to Joe4d, but I really like 2 piece guide rods. A full length guide rod makes the gun operate smoother. I drill a hole in my 2 piece guide rods so I can take them down easily with a paper clip, or if I don't have one, I can just unscrew the rod to take it down. It also give the versitility of being able to screw different rods into the same head. I have made some delrin rods that screw into an Ed Brown 2 piece head and also I have a tungsten rod that screws into the same head. So I can change the weight and balance of the gun by just screwing out one rod and screwing in another.

Sorry, looks like Aircoolded6racer beat me to it the post.

Edited by tk2

In my 6" bushing gun, I have a FLGR that will actually sneak over the lug of the barrel and link if you find the sweet spot. Makes tear down very quick. I also have the stepped bushing and use 5" springs.

Thanks for the info so far. The pistol has a bull barrel; I'll check the plug system to see if it's shortened to accept 5" springs - didn't know they could made that way.

Will post an update on Saturday with more info on the pistol itself. Seems like my initial plan to run an 11 pound spring might be a bit too light.

I actually have a STI 6" eagle with bull barrel, made by STI, you dont have the step down plug, and you cant get the guide rod out without taking it apart, The paper clip thing doesnt work, There is no sweet spot,even with out the recoil spring it isnt going in, To each his own but I would throw that 2 piece guide rod in the scrap metal bin where it belongs, Why make something require tools to field strip, that still likes to come apart on its own for zero advantage, the Eagle bull barrel is heavy enough ya dont need the extra weight. That smoothness and reliabilty claim is simply marketing hype people believe and ask for so factories provide. I guess if your frame to slide fit sloppy it might help some, There is nothing wrong with your current setup other than the guide rod, just order the #4 or #5 longlside springs.

Edited by Joe4d

• 2 weeks later...

Took the gun apart and it does have the stepped-down reverse plug that allows a standard spring to be run in a 6" gun. I installed a 10lb spring in it, but haven't shot it yet. Is 10lb too light for a limited gun with 168ish PF ammo?

I run a 9lb spring in my open gun with 170ish PF ammo with no issues, so intuitively it seems like a 10lb spring in a 6" limited gun should be OK. Am I off-base?

Hello: I think you will find that is a little too light for a stock 6" slide shooting 168PF. An open pistol is a different animal since I use a 8lb in my 9mm open. Use a 12.5lb or a 14lb ISMI spring. Thanks, Eric

Appreciate the advice, Eric! I was a little worried it might be too light - my 5" Limited gun has an 11 lb spring and that was about as light as I'm comfortable with in that gun.

Initially I theorized that the heavier 6" slide would move more slowly than a lighter 5" slide and therefore require less spring weight. As I reflect a bit more and try to recall some long-ago physics lesson, I can also see where the heavier mass of the 6" unlightened slide might require more spring weight to slow it down in recoil and protect the frame.

I'm obviously looking for the best recoil characteristics, but not at the risk of damaging the pistol.

Try a bunch of them and see what you like. Especially since you have the mythical 6" gun with a stepped plug, springs are easy. Buy a 10, 12, 14 and see what you like. I've gone around in circles and have settled on a 10#er for now... but my slide weighs about 11oz.

Hello: Don't forget you have to move that mass forward again and the spring is what does that. My 6" has a bushing barrel and the STI reverse plug that I modified for the barrel bushing. I think my 6" slide is actually under 11ozs. Try the 14lb first and then the 12.5lb. I like the 14lb in my single stack 45 and 40 with full profile slides. Thanks, Eric

just back from the range, I've tried the Wollf callibration set.

the springs are shorter than the standard spring in my 6" Les Baer.

started with the 15lbs and went down to the 11lbs. with the 11lbs 1 FTF, the 11 and 12lbs makes the gun cycle to slow for me. found the 13 lbs spring the best for my purpose (PPC)

shooter next to me was shooting a compensated colt with a 9lbs spring without failures, was a 5" gun

gr T

shooter next to me was shooting a compensated colt with a 9lbs spring without failures, was a 5" gun

The gas working the compensator will push the bbl down on the slide, slowing the slide down. That's why you can go a little lighter on the open pistol springs.

Kind of a personal feel thing but the Triangle Shooting Sports Fat Free 6in .40 guns are set up with 12.5 IMSI springs for use with major pf ammo. Some folks drop down to 9 or 10 for minor stuff. And they all use a 5in spring.----------Larry